Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Multi-headed Cow

Yay or nay?
New Vegas with DLC definitely.
Rage depends on how much you like dumb FPS. Story's basically nothing, level design's basically nothing, graphics are mostly good, enemy variety is poor but fairly entertaining since they react well to being shot. Sure as hell no Doom or Quake but it's alright.
No idea on Fear. I heard it was the most run and gun of the series and not particularly scary but haven't played it yet myself.

Not sure I'm gonna get anything from the Halloween sale. Few games in there I don't own and am interested in but the sales aren't big enough. Looking at you, I Am Alive. Think I'll grab the Club though. Heard decent things about it, it's a score attack styled FPS. Probably worth a look for $3.

Kitako

Arcane
Alright so there's the Halloween sale. I'm thinking of getting the following, none of which I've played:

Rage for $10
Fallout: New Vegas + DLC for $15
FEAR 3 for $5

Yay or nay?
Got Rage for 10€ at the last sale, and I regret that. Game last 5 hours, 10 if you do the awful stupid minigames. As someone put it, it's just a glorified demo.

FNV, get it, and if you get bored be sure to play at least the Dead Money dlc, is really worth it.

Never played any FEAR so no word about that.

sser

Arcane
Developer
How about the new Deadlight platformer? Also, New Vegas is very worth it at that price.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Gotta love that regional pricing. For example, Alice: Madness Returns is $5 and 12€ depending on where you were unfortunate enough to be born at.

For me, it's $12.

With the discount.

Think I'll be passing up on this sale, nothing interests me.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
sser said:
How about the new Deadlight platformer?

It's a mixed bag really. On one side it's got great environments, pretty nice storyline and good action sequences. On the other, it's a little too short and really unpolished. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I played such a buggy game - clipping through the floor to your death, getting stuck in areas you were not supposed to be or pushing a crate that you needed to progress off the ledge (and getting stuck). Hell, I even had to change my OS language to get it to run. All in all, check the videos on YouTube and see if you dig it. But even then, I'd wait for at least 75% discount, I don't think it's worth 10€ .

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
How about Dead Rising 2, Alice and Hell Yeah! ? any opinions on any of those?

Turjan

Arcane
Alice is worth it for the visuals, even if the game itself stays behind its possibilities. Then again, I'm a sucker for weird settings.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Get the F:NV + DLC pack. At the very least, the Old World Blues DLC.

They also have Condemned: Criminal Origins up for 5€, which is excellent and underrated.

Fuck the rest.

Gotta agree with this, Condemned is fucking great even with the CSI crap and well worth of 5 yurops.

Multi-headed Cow

Dead Rising 2's kinda fun. Depends on your threshold for annoyance and gamey things, though. The game is semi-open world, MOST of the world is available to you from the start, but since you're limited on time (Game clock's always ticking) you generally wanna stick to missions instead of exploring unless you've got some free time. It is possible to get in a position where you're fucked and can't advance the story to a good ending/any ending, but DR2 gives you multiple save slots (Unlike the original game) which helps tone that down. Even so, it's not a bad idea to play and try to keep up with the story until you reach a point where you're screwed and then start over. It'll carry your leveled up character over to the new game, and things get MUCH easier with faster move speed, more carrying capacity, health, etc. Think of it sorta like Dark Souls only simpler and friendlier with (maybe) more zombies. Once you know the layout of the world things get a lot easier, and there are plenty of little secrets to find.
Kinda rambled but yeah Dead Rising 2's cool.

Haven't played Alice yet but everything I've heard says really cool visuals and mostly good platforming and combat. If you're interested it's probably worth $5 since I haven't heard anything really BAD about it.

Know nothing about Hell Yeah apart from watching a Giant Bomb video. Didn't look that good to me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hell Yeah has a demo. Re: Divinity 2 Developer's Cut, they added it free to anyone who already owned DKS.

Turjan

Arcane
Re: Divinity 2 Developer's Cut, they added it free to anyone who already owned DKS.
Cool. I haven't even noticed yet. There is an extra entry for the Developer's Cut, but also my Divinity II: DKS game got converted to some other format when I started it.

Multi-headed Cow

but also my Divinity II: DKS game got converted to some other format when I started it.
That's some Steam back-end nonsense. They recently changed something with how Steam handles downloads/patches/installs, which means some games you have installed get checked and updated to whatever the new system is. As an added bonus you can install Steam games outside of the Steam folder now.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dead Rising 2 is fun, I'm not sure why the 'Director's Cut' version Off the Record isn't on sale, might want to wait for the Xmas sale. It included a sandbox mode and a bit more content. Anyway both are good mindless zombie killing fun. Some people don't like it cause it has a timer, you're on the clock to complete quests/events and wrangle survivors to the safehouse. Also people didn't like that you aren't supposed to beat it on your first run. You keep your money and xp and can start again, it has some difficulty spikes in quests/psychos that you have to come back at a higher level or know exactly what to bring to the fight. Or people dislike it cause it's zombies. If none of those things deter you, you should check a let's play or something to see the gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom