Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Super BunnyHop Thread

Ash

Arcane
Cross The big players: Capcom, Square, Sony, Konami, Enix, Sega...clear decline there pal. Nintendo, no opinion. Seems like they declined (see: Nintendo Wii, all dem Zelda games pre-breath of the Wild etc), but I've played next to none of their games the past decade.

I mean if we compare western games to Japanese games, not Japanese games of today with Japanese games of 20 years ago. Basically what I mean is that I don't think that one side had bigger drop in quality than the other.

Ah I see, yeah both fell from grace hard. though western is probably a smidgen more declined in quality experiences, what with all the braindead cover shooters, the popamole RPGs, the microtransaction lootbox pre-order day 1 DLC type shit.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
False. Japanese games, just like western, declined and they declined hard. Around the late 2000s. They've still not recovered, but this little resurgence is good news.
More accurate will be to say that they don't change and therefore decline. They have the same mechanics,same ps2 tunnel levels and the same lack of writing.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nintendo definitely declined, with some little clinging to some incline.

This seems to be done by "makin the critical path of the game as easy and accessible as possible, but make the side content super challenging for hardcore fans"

And the compromise seems somehow works.

As for other big studios, it really simply declined.

Small and indies almost didnt exist, the only few exist are usually awesome (like nihom falcom, etc ) or those just find and stay in their niche like touhou games or whatever.

Generally it decline globally. Except maybe for those eastern europeans indies seems to be the new champion of incline

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I met the Detention devs at a Singaporean gaming convention back in 2016. Cool guys, they demonstrated the game on a small laptop while surrounded by fancy looking booths. Pretty surprised to see the game has like 250k owners on Steam, probably more successful than any other non-AAA game showcased at that event.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The big difference between western games and Japanese games back in the day was that westerners have always been more interested in exploring all the possibilities this medium offered (hence why the PC was always the favored platform of western developers), where as Japan never strayed too far from the idea games should be about fun twitch gameplay more than anything. So while Japan dominated the console and arcade markets, westerners focused on innovation and experimentation.

Now here comes the Xbox and suddenly western gaming became all about dumping things down and streamlining everything to produce safe and mass consumable products, with Japan attempting to conform to some of that which explains their apparent decline. Be that as it may, the Japanese can still do twitch gameplay when they want to where as westerners cannot. All those indie idiots thinking their retarded garbage is ho so amazing merely because it is "different" from your mass produced Call of Duty clone are forgetting that the Japanese have been doing real twitch gameplay that doesn't rely on some cutesy or unique gimmick slapped on top of some simplistic game mechanic for decades, and even in their state of decline it doesn't take them much effort to make games that are mechanically more interesting than any of the mainstream or indie garbage coming from the west. And whenever a western indie company attempts at making a game with actually interesting twitch gameplay, they get shit on for making their games too "difficult" to play by our miserable gaming press that's composed almost entirely by Marxist propagandists many of whom had never actually played a game in their lives but have latched on this industry because they can't make it anywhere else.

Ash

Arcane
Good post, but a bit unfair on the Japanese. Back in the pre-decline days they were also a force of innovation and experimentation. As much as PC devs? It's hard to say but perhaps not, yet their contributions deserve a little more credit.

Man can we just go back to the 90s now please...:negative:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i was talking in general terms. Obviously talented individuals are always able to step out of the bounds set by their environment.

Ash

Arcane
Ha ha in China you go to jail for cheating.
incline.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This video was pretty bad imo.

George seems to care a lot about this but I don't find a single one of his arguments even slightly compelling (the info on source licensing is a bit interesting I suppose).

If you are dumb enough to think hunt down the freeman is a real valve game I don't even.

Archibald

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not sure I follow how this exactly is any different than any other similar case. Just because it is Valve? And idea that a game that, according to Steamspy, has been bought up to 2000 times will seriously damage Half Life's brand..? Like wtf, two weeks later nobody is going to remember this shit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I can't see this shit becoming "the future". While I agree with him on the fact that this technology changes the way games have to be delevoped, so in a sense it isn't a gimmick like say 3D is. Still I can't see this becoming normal for games that require a good deal of precision (ex.: Doom or Rainbow 6). Even for more normal games, how will the player move around and do the most complex interactions in games like Thief or Deus Ex?

Last edited:

Lord Romulus

Arcane
I have never seen anybody care about anything related to the PSVR outside of games where you stare at anime girls. Are they even still making games for PSVR?

Just by the title alone this screams horrible idea. I mean fuck if the japs can't do it right what makes you think a staff full of nu-males would do better?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom