Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Top Six Reasons F3 is better than F:NV (article)

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's pretty much a given that this is a troll.

Still makes me mad like fuck. :x

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
SoupNazi said:
I guess the biggest problem with Fallout New Vegas is the fact that you get to choose your enemies. Which is an interesting concept but goes against the purpose of the game–to shoot things.

WHAT

MUST HAVE MISSED THAT

:x :x :x :x

I'm actually angry right now. O, humanity!

Yeah, that line is the full derp for sure. It boggles the mind.

deuxhero

Arcane
Is this funny? Is it a joke?

Seriously, I'm betting it's like the guy who writes desert bus fan fiction.

Oesophagus

Arcane
It's pretty much a given that this is a troll.

I'd say inbred. An unfortunate soul that cannot walk and think at the same time. We should compassionatelly flip the gas chamber switch

Still makes me mad like fuck. :x

I reflexively wrote a comment asking the author to shoot himself, but then i found out all comments were pre-moderated. Oh well. Maybe he takes it more personal this way, as he reads the comments one by one? Let's hope so.

Topher

Cipher
It's really a worthless article and I imagine that it has be a ploy for page hits.

Oesophagus

Arcane
It's really a worthless article and I imagine that it has be a ploy for page hits.

Could be, but I've seen a lot of reviews/opinions which stated that FNV is JUST below F3. The reasons for theese opinions being retarded of course, I think it's beth making sure that no heretics try and hijack the direction in which THEIR franchise is going by audaciously making a better game. Don't think that's the case here though, I think the guy's just batshit stupid

Kz3r0

Arcane
Oh gawd, how many of you fuckers are commenting there?

Silellak

Cipher
SoupNazi said:
I guess the biggest problem with Fallout New Vegas is the fact that you get to choose your enemies. Which is an interesting concept but goes against the purpose of the game–to shoot things.

WHAT

MUST HAVE MISSED THAT

:x :x :x :x

I'm actually angry right now. O, humanity!
Lord. I saw that comment and was going to post it, but guess I don't have to now.

So much :lol: This guy couldn't troll the Codex better if he was actively trying.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Writer probably shares a brain with the guy who wrote they thought Fallout started with 3 just like Final Fantasy started with VII.

Radisshu

Prophet
At least most of the comments are calling the writer out for his bullshit.

Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands
Steve Andersen
congratulations_retarded.jpg

ElectricOtter

6. Too many continuity issues. I understand that Fallout 3 isn’t related to Fallout New Vegas, but we ARE in the same universe here. And as such, there were plenty of strange details no one seems to be willing to account for. For instance, while it was good to see the Brotherhood of Steel still up and running, I expected their presence to be a lot bigger given how near to their home ground they were. And where was the Enclave? For crying out loud, the Enclave is one state away! How is it NOT interfering? Surely the Enclave didn’t lose sufficient forces in the oil rig disaster to not have a presence left in California! Surely everybody didn’t pack up for the Capitol Wasteland! And while we’re at it, we’re in Nevada this time. Aliens got their own downloadable content in Fallout 3, but we can’t go to Roswell? Area 51? I’d like to at least see the Area 2 the Boomers were talking about where they landed their upgraded weapons. I can’t find it as is. Maybe there are explanations for some of this in the likely upcoming downloadable content, but for right now, lots of strange gray areas exist.
FUCKIGN FUCK FUCK HRGRGGRHGRH :x

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The sheer fact that these shit faggots are complaining that New Vegas is not better than Capitol Wasteland is all the proof you need that New Vegas IS a better Fallout game.

Well done Obsidian. :salute:

Other then the late timing this seems like a F:NV advertisement aimed at the codex :lol:

It is quite amusing seeing the divide that this makes between players who think RPGs are about shooting things and those who do actually appreciate RPG mechanics but simply don't play any game that wasn't released yesterday.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My brain's all hurty after reading that article!
10/10, would rage again and again.

Sulimo said:
Mark | November 12th, 2010 at 2:46 am

Personally, I think NV is better than FO3. But I think fallout 3 had a better storyline. A kid who left his safe life in the vault to find his father who wanted to purify water to help everyone? Then your father dies and you have to carry out his legacy by helping the bos defeat and retake your fathers work? Fantastic story and fantastic game.
That's fucking Tolstoy right there, isn't it? :D
:x

Alex

Arcane
I don't know. I still haven't played New Vegas (saw it at a friend's house but still haven't gotten around getting time to play it), but this article basically complains about everything the Codex (or at least the old Codex, tastes seem to have changed around here) was asking in RPGs. I know it is the Codex way to complain, bitch and (if one is inspired and has nothing better to do in the afternoon) write a long post to explain why the article's writer is wrong, is a dumbfuck and should never write again.

But maybe the real issue here is that most people simply don't care so much about RPGs? Maybe what this writer is saying is: "Ok, Obsidian added all these features that lend themselves to a specific gaming style, but I really don't care about this style. I want the old Fallout 3's style which got me hooked up".

If I understood Obsidian's idea, this New Vegas game is trying to appeal to two different user bases, one being the people who liked Bethesda's Fallout 3 and the other being the people who liked Black Island's Fallout 2.And they actually seem to have succeeded in this endeavor. It seems that this game has sold a lot and, at the same time, seems to have been approved by most of the Codex. But is this really a sustainable situation? I mean, it seems to me that, if you have two different design priorities, then one will inevitably get in the way of the other.

Maybe I am just being stupid, I probably should play the game before commenting about it, but I do think it would be better for us if companies saw CRPGs as a niche genre separated from whatever Oblivion and Fallout 3 were. And I don't really mean to be elitist. It is just that this worked really well for indie PnP RPGs, and for the OSR movement, maybe it could work for us too?

So, what I am trying to say is that, maybe, it is a good thing this article appeared. And maybe it would be good if other articles pointing the differences in playstyle between FO3 and FO:NV appeared too. Because maybe then companies would see they can't simply make a game that muddles the differences between playstyles and cash in. Instead, they would be forced to cater to niches, with games that have a strong design philosophy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom