Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tip: leather armour gives 2 damage reduction, chain 4, plate 6. The amount is so small you can should wear leather to save weight. Magical armour makes a big difference.
Thanks! I haven't seen this in the manual. And yes, I used the first magical armor spell to help defeat the Gazer in the mines of the mountainfolk.

I feel a bit weird that I only started exploring level 3 (I seem to have found some teleporters) and I'm already level 9. Does this game have a level cap?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, it caps at either Level 15 or Level 16, can't remember exactly the cap for UW1. It's 16 for UW2, anyways.

Levelling early in UW1 is a snap, just kill all the Lurkers you find. They're TONS of XP.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This game I always end up trying again, mapping out the first level and then quitting because something else caught my interest.
A shameful display. :(

Edit: I really love Arx Fatalis, though. Can't they make another game like this/that? It's about time.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Even after you hit the level cap you still get skill points every X amout of XP. In UW2 you can check how many skill points you have but not in UW1, so it's a good idea to just go to a shrine every once in a while and chant a mantra, even after you hit level 15.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks! I haven't seen this in the manual. And yes, I used the first magical armor spell to help defeat the Gazer in the mines of the mountainfolk.
No I mean enchanted armour, the protection spells are the same as armour(first one gives +2, next is +4). I think they stack with armour though. It's in the UW2 cluebook, which can be download online.

Elwro

Arcane
Thanks guys. It's really a wonderful game. Flying creatures are a PITA in combat, though, when you have to change the look via the keyboard AND move AND use the mouse to deliver blows. Everything else is simply fantastic.

edit: oh, so you CAN kill Lurkers? Nice, I thought they had infinite hp... still, I didn't have a longsword back then. Will go back....

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Protip: Bothered by encumbrance and can't decide which weapon to use? Train the Unarmed skill.

Your fist is an indestructible weapon with ZERO weight. Whatever downsides the fist has (does it have any?) will be negated by training the skill higher up.

I never bothered using ranged weapons in the UW games, I just used magic instead. Lightning Bolt is REALLY powerful at lower levels.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Well, I already have 10 points in Sword, so I guess I will carry on, but -- duly noted.
In UW1 swords are actually an excellent weapon for plot reasons that will become clear later on. If I were you I'd keep putting points into sword, you will eventually get one that's a keeper. Agreed about ranged though, it's too difficult to control and not powerful enough to justify using it, stick to either charging thigns in melee, or slinging spells. Generally it's a good idea to build up your magic skill as it can take the place of many other utilitarian skills like lockpick, swimming, acrobat, lore, and so on.

Majestic47

Learned
Yeah same reason why I quit UW. The STR issue is a little over the top. UW2 on the other hand looks much better, finished it and pleased with it.

Elwro

Arcane
Ok guys, I got the Sword of Justice. But before that I killed Roderick and my awesome Lore skill said he had a jeweled sword of Additional Damage; in fact, I did slaughter half of level 5 with it with minimal problems.

But due to the STR issue (and I don't want to go over-the-top with STR, since it would make combat too easy) I really cannot carry two swords. And even my awesome Lore skill does not tell me anything about the Sword of Justice. So, a tip from the veterans plz: which one is better (and why)?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Sword of Justice is a vital quest item, you'll need it later.

The only obvious advantage I know of that the SoJ has over the jeweled sword, is that it's indestructible.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Simply put: SOJ isn't the best weapon, but it's the most convenient due to a) having to lug it around anyway and b) being indestructible. Same deal with the Shield of Valor once you get it.

Luzur

Good Sir
where is Elzair anyway? someone need to email him and tell him that Codex is back.

and that Sillala..Silelal...Silli..Sillelack guy too.

Elwro

Arcane
Well, Level 7 is a demanding bitch. Destroying prison cell doors with my own fists ftw.

Still, I have a nagging suspicion I missed the spot where I should've used the dragonscales. (I felt so proud I didn't throw out the stew recipe -- btw, that was a goddamn awful UI decision to only let you brew it by using the piece of paper). The hint was they should be handy "if I meet a dragon", and hell, right now I could use some lava protection...

edit: I found a nice article about UU's bugs: http://dfan.org/blog/2011/02/21/ultima-underworld-bugs/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yes, you missed the place where you use the dragonscales. Look for a tailor...

EDIT: Read the article, and the bit with the sports car made me laugh, especially since I've played Car & Driver. One of the most memorable moments from that game was driving down the road at full speed, when I spot a cow by the side of the road. I thought to myself "Let's make a hamburger!" and ram the car into the cow at about 230 mph...

The car bounced off the cow, skidded backwards far enough so that the cow was barely visible on the horizon, the car a smouldering wreck... but the cow was unharmed. Didn't move. Didn't react. Turns out it was just a 3d polygon object in the game. Nothing "interactive" about it.

Elwro

Arcane
Yes, you missed the place where you use the dragonscales. Look for a tailor...
Goddamnit. I thought he was just a vendor of leather armour for characters with low strength. Now I cannot easily go back because I just escaped from prison and the door of the guard outpost was one way. I'll have to go to the tombs and hope after that I'll be able to go back up.

Thanks!

Flatout also had an amusing feature that while almost all objects were destructible, there were just a few that were seemingly set in stone, unmoveable, and e.g. they could be signposts :D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm looking at the map, and from what I can tell, you should be able to get back to the guard outpost closest to the stairs up to Level 6, through the tombs. But there are several one-way secret doors on Level 7, and at least one of them is in the tombs.

Speaking of the tombs... have a good change of pants ready if you haven't already been through all of it. There's a room in there that made me shit mine the first time I was there.

Elwro

Arcane
OK, I managed to

1) get the map to the fire trap / teleporter thing on level 7;
2) go through the tombs (yeah, that one bit somehow managed to be genuinely scary ;));
3) use the incense properly, learn the mantra, find Cup of Wonder;
4) get the boots from the tailor.

Will approach level 7 again. I like the minimal hints you're getting in this game...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It took me a while to realize what you were talking about with the "map to the fire trap/teleporter thing", because if I'm recalling this correctly, I skipped that part. Every single time I played the game. It was just too bothersome. It IS the fastest way through, though.

There are 4 ways to get to where you're heading, and you kinda have to go through one of them to get to the end, so I usually just end up going that way. That involves a couple of trips down to Level 8, but that's normal. Level 8 is divided into one GIGANTIC area and 3 small sub-areas. Oh, and speaking of Level 8... you WILL thank your lucky stars for having the boots down there.

Oh, and your comment about the "minimalistic hints" may get the better of you, because there's a vital fetch quest up ahead that you'll have almost no clues to help you with. ;-)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and your comment about the "minimalistic hints" may get the better of you, because there's a vital fetch quest up ahead that you'll have almost no clues to help you with. ;-)
If it is the one I am thinking of, there are clues throughout the game, but you've got to be paying attention, taking notes, and then look at your notes and think about it to figure it out. Really the one pretty major clue is in the tombs themselves. Incidentally that quest is probably my favorite in the game for never being outright given to you and relying on player's ability to put things together.

Elwro

Arcane
In case you didn't already know, Flameproof lets you walk on lava.
Thanks. My main problems were with getting the map on Level 7, which I finally achieved without the boots, but it would require fewer reloads if I had them. And on level 7 I cannot cast any spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom