Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Marobug

Here I am wondering how did you manage to run wasteland in windows xp without dosbox.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
made said:
in before retardo lololol

"I cannot use dosbox" - why not? Runs UW np. If you're using XP you probably have a PC that can run dosbox so what's the problem?

Will DOSBox (or another DOS emulator) run fast and without problems on Pentium II?

Here I am wondering how did you manage to run wasteland in windows xp without dosbox.

I just ran the .exe file and it worked. I didn't even set any compatibility.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought you were playing Oblivion for LARPing purposes...:snort:

Too late to try to get on Codex's good side by saying than now you're TRYING to play UU but 'unfortunately' it won't work.

'Obviously' this means that you have to go back to playing Oblivion, though again 'obviously' you're 'very reluctant' to play it and 'oh what a shame' that UU 'doesn't work' on your machine...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Konjad said:
Will DOSBox (or another DOS emulator) run fast and without problems on Pentium II?
Why the fuck are you running XP on a P2?

Alright, 2 solutions:
1. Get a better PC and install DOSBox there
2. Install Win98SE, or just plain DOS 6.22, on your P2

DOSBox will definitely run without problems on anything, including a P2. Whether it'll be fast enough for UW... the game requires a 486 at 50MHz to run smoothly, UW2 will require something much faster (probably a Pentium 90 MHz). I doubt a P2 has enough processor power to emulate either of these smoothly. But why not just try it?

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
For some reason GoG lists system requiments as "1.8 Ghz" processor and some rather high requirements. What are the specs you are using? This may have something to do with it, apparently DOSbox requires "NextGen" to run, though we don't know it yet.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sceptic said:
Konjad said:
Why the fuck are you running XP on a P2?

Alright, 2 solutions:
1. Get a better PC and install DOSBox there
2. Install Win98SE, or just plain DOS 6.22, on your P2

DOSBox will definitely run without problems on anything, including a P2. Whether it'll be fast enough for UW... the game requires a 486 at 50MHz to run smoothly, UW2 will require something much faster (probably a Pentium 90 MHz). I doubt a P2 has enough processor power to emulate either of these smoothly. But why not just try it?

I'd use Windows 98 SE, but I can't get wifi working on it.
I have a better PC, but I want this one with games too. You know, so I could play something while I borrow my main laptop to parents or something.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Konjad said:
I'd use Windows 98 SE, but I can't get wifi working on it.
Dual-boot is the only answer then.

That or playing 80's games. Might and Magic I!

Konjad

Patron
BTW if someone knows how to make Sagem XG-762N (wifi adapter) work on Windows 98 SE I'd be eternally thankful. I was trying to make it work for several days, several hours a day. I couldn't. I actually installed drivers, but I didn't know what to do later. Windows XP has a magical software which just finds wifis around and connect to them, Windows 98 doesn't. I'm frustrated :( If I could make wifi work in Win98 it would make me so happy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you do manage to make it work, make sure to choose a STR build - improving attributes is frustrating in underworld, and STR determines your carrying capacity.

Konjad

Patron
No, I haven't ignored you. Ignoring so many people is silly, imo, but I still like you :love:

And thanks, I'll try that.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Hold on: you can run games in compatibility mode in XP. You have to select UW.exe, right click on it, select properties, select the Compatibility tab. Set compatibility mode to Windows 95. Select the Memory tab. Set "EMS" to Auto or some high number (it doesn't need much.) You may have to turn off XMS, but again, it's been a while.

Try that. If you haven't used the compatiblity mode tab, read this.

I don't remember having any problem running it on XP, but it's been a while.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's not a problem with compatibility mode (well it actually is, because it is incomplete), that is how he should already be running it (after all it's a 16 bit dos game, it runs in the virtual machine automatically).

The problem is that UW use some shady keyboard function to manipulate some LEDs - caps lock, num lock whatever.

Technical details:

- UW2 has a function which sends "set LED indicators" command to the

keyboard ports, bypassing BIOS.

- this way of accessing ports is incompatible with NTVDM and hangs it.

NTVDM waits forever on some Win32 event as a result of the DOS app

reading the port.

- the patch switches the function away at all, C3 is RETN

- I do not know whether the function is vital for UW2. Probably not.

- for now, I also do not know whether the function called many times from

UW2 or only during the introduction.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
SCO said:
It's not a problem with compatibility mode (well it actually is, because it is incomplete), that is how he should already be running it (after all it's a 16 bit dos game, it runs in the virtual machine automatically).
Sure, but it doesn't set the memory correctly by default, nor pick the right emulator. Google 'Ultima Underworld EMS' and you'll see a ton of links. However, within arms reach, I only have the UW1/UW2 CD version and a Windows XP Sp3 emulator, so I really can't do this justice.

The problem is that UW use some shady keyboard function to manipulate some LEDs - caps lock, num lock whatever.
Never knew this, but it looks like it is refering to UW2 for those calls. That is pretty interesting, though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The readme says it happens in UW1 too.

Though i'm on linux and use dosbox anyway, no way i would know.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
UUDefend.png

Works just fine in DOSBox and I did not have to adjust any memory settings.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Problem is, he can't use dosbox, a pentium 2 is not suitable.

Ammar

Scholar
SCO said:
If you do manage to make it work, make sure to choose a STR build - improving attributes is frustrating in underworld, and STR determines your carrying capacity.

Frustating is an understatement - it's not possible at all. IIRC your attributes always sum up to 60, so at generation it's really just a matter of the distribution. Get decent Str and Int for carrying and Mana, which is important for utility spells like Water Walk, Mend Item, Levitate, Heal and others, even if you do not use offensive spellcasting.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I always knew that there is this one PC in the world somewhere that Windows ME is good for...

Mortmal

Arcane
Konjad said:
BTW if someone knows how to make Sagem XG-762N (wifi adapter) work on Windows 98 SE I'd be eternally thankful. I was trying to make it work for several days, several hours a day. I couldn't. I actually installed drivers, but I didn't know what to do later. Windows XP has a magical software which just finds wifis around and connect to them, Windows 98 doesn't. I'm frustrated :( If I could make wifi work in Win98 it would make me so happy.
you tried those ?
http://support.sagemcom.com/site/modele ... Fi&pays=uk

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
SCO said:
The readme says it happens in UW1 too.

Though i'm on linux and use dosbox anyway, no way i would know.
Either way, you are right. I set up a test XP machine with my UW CD, and it does not respond to normal compatibility mode commands. Others have posted solutions, but I wonder if an older version of DosBox may work. There are versions for download going back to version .50, which came out in 2002, about the time when a Pentium 2 was still the top chip.

Konjad

Patron
Mortmal said:
Konjad said:
you tried those ?
http://support.sagemcom.com/site/modele ... Fi&pays=uk

Yes, I did, just as everything with that or similar name I've found on the internet ;)

Anyway I guess in the end the best option will be to play them on my new laptop in dosbox. Too bad they won't work on the old one though, I hoped they would. I tried everything you've told me.

Satan

Educated
Should i start playing this series with the second or the first part? Is the story in the II linked to the one from the first game? Which Ultima Underworld is better?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I only played I, and it's a p. good game. I don't think the stories are linked, II is in fact linked to Ultima VII.

Anyway, play UW1.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Both are awesome, play both. Though what you should really do as just play Ultima and insert UW1 somewhere between 6 and 7 (I don't think there's a fixed chronology for which of SE, MD and UW1 comes before the other) and UW2 between BG and SI. UW1 can still be played by itself, but UW2 relies quite heavily on following from BG with lots of returning characters and many plot points that will make more sense, as well as a number of foreshadowings for SI and Pagan, including an item you find in UW2 and that you start with in SI with no explanation in the latter game for why you have it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom