Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyway, it looked like you weren't supposed to enter the shrine, so I ended up just using a Levitate scroll and pick up the gem from one of the corners where I had dropped it while dreaming (didn't occur to me to throw it past the pillars).
There's no "supposed", using Levitate+Portal at the endgame, when you make to the Shrine, is a perfectly legitimate way to pick up the blackrock fragment. Throwing it past the pillars also works, as does simply dropping it between 2 pillars where you can easily pick it up from the outside later on. Thing is, if you have no spellcasting ability and can't levitate by other means, throwing it through the pillars becomes the only possibility.

Well, much of TFM is a tutorial that anyone experienced with UU1 should not really need to read. And since I can't recall the manual mentioning the secret room it must have been in that section.
It's also quite conspicuously visible in the map of LB's castle that comes with the game. Top left corner.

I just watched Spooney's "review". He does have some good points, but he concentrates solely on the negative things about the game, like the NPCs getting in the way and being mostly useless (or in the case of Lord British, totally useless) and the Headlesses being far tougher than in other Ultima games.
The headless are exactly as tough as in the first game. You just encounter one rather early on, in an area you're clearly not supposed to be in so early. Anyone who pays attention to cues (and who's played the first game) would know, upon entering this area, that something tough is up ahead. Of course it didn't stop me from going in there at level 1 or 2 anyway, but I did save first.

The game is definitely more frustrating and harder then the first game, which I guess is partly why I abandoned it the first time. It's also a bit rougher around the edges, especially the Pits of Carnage where I aborted my first game. The devs have said themselves that they would have like extra time to polish the game.
The game has certainly its problems, and I've no problem with them being pointed out, but you have to pick which ones are worth focusing on. CGW had a loooooooong review of the game, most of which actually negative, but they did a perfect job in pointing out exactly what doesn't work and why it doesn't work. And they had nothing stupid like "SECRET ROOM IN STARTING AREA ZOMG SO CONFUSING!" This ultimately is what distinguishes good reviewing from stuff like Spoony and Croshaw.

Once you find that magic vendor in Killorn Keep you hardly need to cast spells anymore, since using gold to recharge wands instead means you can use the wands instead of spending mana, thus eliminating the need to sleep to regain hit points and mana.
Heh, yeah it's a good way to cheese the time, especially since there's a lot of gold and it's otherwise pretty useless. I like casting my own spells though and not having to rely on wands.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty sure you need to go through the secret room at the Avatar's room to reach the sewers. The other secret doors to the sewers are difficult to open.

Eyeball

Arcane
Yes. The first one far better than the second.

In the first game, you materialise as the Avatard, get unjuly accused of kidnapping the king's daughter and get tossed alone into a vast dungeon complex to get her back. All you get is a dagger, a little bit of food and a half-spent torch. You know nothing of the depths below, there is nobody to talk to until you explore a bit and find other single prisoners struggling to survive in the monster infested pits. The only way forward is deeper into the hellish dungeon and nobody can help you.

In the second, you are the toast of the town banqueting with the king of the land until you get sealed into his castle by a powerful spell along with at least 20 other people, several legendary heroes, a master of sorcery and a bunch of armed guards. There are also abundant food resources to be found in the pantry and you can steal any kind of basic weapon from the castle's armory. From the start, you are thus operating from a stable position and the game feels a lot less urgent than the first because of it.

The atmosphere of being completely alone in an unforgiving and hostile place is what makes the UU games special, and 'UU1 does it a lot better than it's sequel. This, to me, is the main reason I prefer the first one. Tht lecond has more variety in environments, but it just lacks that special somethin'.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And if you were wondering why I mentioned that you should re-visit the Goblins, it's because they give you a blackrock serpent that they find. This serpent plays no role in UUW2, but it plays a HUGE role in Serpent Isle. (AFAIK, it took players YEARS to uncover how to find the Blackrock Serpent in-game.)

Well, I gave it a try, but I didn't see any new dialogue choices. Maybe my Charisma wasn't high enough? Or maybe I needed to bring some booze?

Speaking of Serpent Isle, I hope you also found the Crystal Ball in the Ice Caverns that showed you key moments in the Avatar's timeline, all the way from his battle against Mondain, to becoming the Avatar, to seeing himself peering into a crystal ball... and then to seeing omenous portents of the future. It's one of a handful of cases where foreshadowing in a video game refers to an unreleased title (at the time). It's one thing to foreshadow events that'll take place in the game you're playing now, but events in a sequel? That's pretty much unheard of.

Yes, that was a nice touch. I clicked though it a bit too fast to get all the details, and then I couldn't repeat it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
9699.png

:eek:

Eyeball

Arcane
Well at least you don't live with a midget who won't fucking stop playing piano.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Back to arx, i sequence broke the game so that i haven't even meet the king and am already on the dwarf level.
Annoyingly; apparently there is only one spacium rune? It's essential to activate the teleporters, but it's only given after the troll strike i think.
Can it be pickpocketed somewhere?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

9700.png

Okay, so either Warren is just fooling around or he does have some kind of Kickstarter project in mind... I guess we'll see soon enough.
I am just afraid that the curse that is afflicting Lord British has worked its foul magicks on Spector as well. So unless the pitch is solid and not vague I would be disinclined to believe him.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think his comment was more of a joke, in that Gariott, Molyneux and other famous people doing Kickstarters. But if he seriously did think about and wanted to do this, CUMMING BUCKETS! Though yeah.... he might also be in the early stages of Molyneux disease like Gariott....

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Actually, I think what makes a Warren Spector Kickstarter unlikely is that he's probably gotten too used to the kind of wages and life style that the sort of money you can raise on KS just can't buy. But maybe I'm wrong and he might be willing to do a side project of sorts on KS before he works for a AAA publisher again... Who knows.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually, I think what makes a Warren Spector Kickstarter unlikely is that he's probably gotten too used to the kind of wages and life style that the sort of money you can raise on KS just can't buy. But maybe I'm wrong and he might be willing to do a side project of sorts on KS before he works for a AAA publisher again... Who knows.

Wages and lifestyle? But he did a whole lot of nothing between Thief: Deadly Shadows and Epic Mickey. Can't have been earning that much money.

Crooked Bee

Patron

Wages and lifestyle? But he did a whole lot of nothing between Thief: Deadly Shadows and Epic Mickey. As far as I know during that time he was living off of university lectures and such. Hardly a lavish lifestyle.

There is hope, then. ;)

Actually, that was just a random thought I had after going through his earlier tweets today:

9701.png

Pretty sure you can afford a new Cadillac even on KS wages though. We should ask Brian Fargo about it. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I edited my post, he actually founded Junction Point in 2005. Still it could hardly have been a highly profitable enterprise before Disney bought them in 2007.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
While I love Warren, I don't think he was the designer on either of the Underworld games. I think he was more of a guiding hand to keep Blue Sky focused later on in development (on UU1) and getting them some personnel (artists I think?) on UU2.

I just don't think he's the one qualified to make/kickstart a "spiritual successor" to either of the underworlds.

Zep--

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Rats! No, I'm not really swearing. Rats keep killing me. There are brown rats, which are pretty nimble and difficult to hit at first until I pin them in a corridor, and the gray variety which poison and kill me after I win combat.

As I write this, my character is down to 2 hit points and just now unpoisoned. I am second level after killing the last gray rat who caused me to reload. I've killed some little worm like creatures with teeth that look like they belong in Stones of Arnhem, a couple spiders, a handful of rats and a gray goblin who tried pelting me with sling stones. I've had to reload numerous times and I've found trying to line up your targets just right for an axe blow the most serious challenge thus far. I have a bag of magical stones, but my paladin is not high enough level yet to cast the spells that I can form with their runes.

I met some friendly green goblins, and I rest in their lair between my explorations. I kissed their king's behind with platitudes, which led to him telling me everything important about the local area and some information about the overall quest, which seems to involve eight artifacts. I love the automap feature where I can make comments, and I do so liberally. I also like the little touches, such as the worm stew recipe I found and the letter to a loved one. The sense of mystery is welcome, such as me wondering what the hell the Silver Seed does. I want to try it out after taking it from the Silver Tree room, but I'm afraid its a one shot use and I want to go deeper into the dungeon before planting it. I suppose it resurrects me if I die, so perhaps I should put it in the Green Goblin tribal area, or perhaps wait for a friendly location further down. Don't tell me. I don't want to ruin it.

I'm armed with some leather pieces of armor, a wooden shield, and a damaged axe. I also have some minor items like candles, torches, and pieces of food like cheese. I'm ill-equipped, scared, and loving it despite the frustrations with the combat interface. This is the first game I've played since Thief (which I still have to beat) a few months back that has left me with a sense of mystery and a desire to explore every nook and cranny.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I want to try it out after taking it from the Silver Tree room, but I'm afraid its a one shot use
It's not. Don't be afraid to experiment. Effect may not be immediately obvious.

Not gonna spoil anything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom