Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, you'll run into pre-filled segments of the automap again later on, you'll find a map of the Ice Caves, complete with notes from explorers, and again in the Tomb where you have to gather the map together.

Just starting exploring the Ice Caves. I remember those explorers, Lost City and the ice skating. But I don't remember that Yetis and other monsters could drown.

And then you're gonna run into a place where the automap doesn't work at all. Have fun.

I guess you mean the Etherial Void? I seem to recall there was a rather trippy area, a bit like cyberspace in System Shock.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If we want to change this thread into a general UW1/UW2/Arx Fatalis thread, I'll drop my current Gold Box games and join in starting with UW1. We are doing something similar with the Might and Magic series on the 'Best Might and Magic' thread.

Then maybe after I can convince some folks to do the same with the Gold Box games.

Snikt

Novice
I don't suppose you can easily fake Roland Mt-32 by using the right Soundfont with BassMidi?

Not that it is too important, I've changed the config files so that it correctly plays on SoundBlaster, but better music might be welcome.

Still wanted to finish U7 before replaying UU2, though.
However, while I greatly enjoyed the Underworld games, the normal Ultima parts never managed to grab me as much. They are ok, I think, but something about the style prevented me from really enjoying them.
There's a fan-made patch called PixPatcher I believe it's called, and it forces Roland MT-32 audio onto the GOG versions of Ultima Underworld 1-2, but you need to have the MT-32 roms. It has fixes for all the Ultima games too
Edit: http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/category/ultima-patcher/

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If we want to change this thread into a general UW1/UW2/Arx Fatalis thread, I'll drop my current Gold Box games and join in starting with UW1. We are doing something similar with the Might and Magic series on the 'Best Might and Magic' thread.

Then maybe after I can convince some folks to do the same with the Gold Box games.

There is already a Gold Box thread, but sadly there is little activity.

Also, I already started an Ultima Underworld 1 thread last year. Jaesun, feel free to merge the two thread into one.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Goddamn, now I remember Etherial Void and its Nefarious Maliciously Evil Primitive Shape of Hate.
I always accidentally tripped wrong cube when jumped from the top.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmm...I wonder if there is any level scaling in this game? At the part where "someone else"/Mighty Mouse met three Yetis in his LP, I only met two. My Avatar was only lvl 6, while his was 9 or 10.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You know, I've wondered about that as well. IIRC, almost all monster placings and amounts in UUW1 and UUW2 are fixed, with the only exception being if you rest and are interrupted by monsters, which is the only time where new monsters are randomly spawned, I believe. Those spawns could be scaled according to your level.

There's also the question of what monsters are spawned around the gem at the bottom of the sewers. Some of the spawns there are situational, but not all.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just completed the alien world. It was more fun this time than the first time I played.
I think I got frustrated by the relative complexity of piecing it all together, combined with not easily being able to make screenshots to look up all the dialogue, as well as the froggies that respawned every time you left and returned. So the alien world was one of the worlds, along with the Pits of Carnage, I didn't complete the first time.

The whole puzzle in the alien world, having to reprogram the gobbledegook machine, felt very familar. I can't place it, but I'm pretty sure I've played a similar puzzle in another game...

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So I played an hour of Ultima Underworld. I fiddled with it a bit last year, so I just restored the game I was playing back then where I had explored only the first few rooms. First off, the game handles fine when it comes to turning and moving back and forth, but fighting seems awkward, as the three different strikes all have a charging gauge and the actual swings move across the screen a tad slow. However, monster attacks are also slowed so it balances out and gives you a moment to actually think before you attack. Also, jumping is difficult for me to time properly, but hopefully I won't need it much.

The atmosphere is great, where the dungeon is appropriately dark and encourages you to use light sources. The remains of past people that litter the floor is also a nice touch, as well as a love letter that I found on one of the condemned. I died a lot, mostly because of slow acting poison. I also found some leeches down a river, and I think I remember my friend playing this game and using them. They remove poison, but cause damage if I remember right, so even if you find a bunch of leeches you want to avoid even minor poison. I like this dynamic.

I found some runes, but I haven't taken the time to learn how to use them yet. Weapons and armor decay in quality during use, which is also a neat effect. I found a friendly human, but not the village of whence he comes. I did find some lone, not so friendly goblins, but after killing them I tried talking to a goblin behind a portcullis and he actually invited me in to meet his king. Before this I also stumbled into a stressed rat that didn't attack me, so I refrained from slaying it. I appreciate the idea that I don't have to kill everything I meet down here. It makes me feel like I am playing the Avatar again, and not just some genocidal maniac who slays anything that doesn't look like him. I'm getting into this and it brings back warm memories. Somehow it feels like Ultima despite being from a completely different playing perspective.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, UU1 felt like a real dungeon simulation to me.
The UU games are also the only CRPGs I know that are really real time, in that one minute playing equals one minute passing in the game. I think time only speeds up when sleeping.

I didn't notice this problem in UU1, but in UU2 Slashing seems to be much more effective than Bashing when using axes and maces, despite the manual saying bashing is more effective. It's possible bashing delivers more damage, but it certainly is easier to hit when slashing.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
combined with not easily being able to make screenshots to look up all the dialogue
o_O Take notes by hand on what seems important. What, it's hard all of a sudden? :rpgcodex:

Talorus (I think that was the name) isn't the best world but it was fun and it was cool to have something so radically different from the previous worlds. The Pits are probably my least favourite, but then the game picks up dramatically after them and the last 3 worlds are all great stuff. And of course you're going to be doing quite a bit of backtracking.

Also, jumping is difficult for me to time properly, but hopefully I won't need it much.
Shift+J to jump. This makes you jump forward without needing to be on the move when you jump. I sometimes use right-click to jump but most of the time I just shift+J.

I found some runes, but I haven't taken the time to learn how to use them yet. Weapons and armor decay in quality during use, which is also a neat effect. I found a friendly human, but not the village of whence he comes. I did find some lone, not so friendly goblins, but after killing them I tried talking to a goblin behind a portcullis and he actually invited me in to meet his king. Before this I also stumbled into a stressed rat that didn't attack me, so I refrained from slaying it.
I could answer all your queries, but I won't. The first time playing UW1 is special, like a first PST. Enjoy the sense of exploring and discovering everything by yourself. How I wish I could get that back.

EruDaan

Arcane
What I also like in UU2 is that there are some spells that are not written in the games handbook which you either can get by guessing the correct rune combination or by trading /talking with NPC. These unmentioned "secret" spells are: Froststorm, Mend (repair item), Medium Protectionl, Death, Summon Demon and Enchant Item l( or is it?).

UU2 by the way, like the earlier M&M series, is full of exploits and broken mechanics. :)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
UU2 by the way, like the earlier M&M series, is full of exploits and broken mechanics. :)

Really? I recall the ability to cast spells in another world and then release it back in Britannia exploit.
And the respawning of enemies means you can grind for more XP.
Can't think of anything else at the moment.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The pits of carnage have a actual (or three IIRC) alternative solution(s) don't they?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Really? I recall the ability to cast spells in another world and then release it back in Britannia exploit.
I think there's a door you can ONLY open this way, so it may be an, um, intentional exploit?

The pits of carnage have a actual (or three IIRC) alternative solution(s) don't they?
Three if I recall. There's also an insanely useful item there if you have high lore or are identifying everything.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think there's a door you can ONLY open this way, so it may be an, um, intentional exploit?

I have explored all (except the area held by at least one Gazer) of the Britannia area now, and the only door that remains unlocked you can approach from both sides, so it doesn't really need unlocking.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
If you've met the Haunt in Britannia and got a Moonstone, you've covered all bases there. As for the Unlock Magic exploit, try using it on Nystul's chest that I mentioned earlier... ;-)

EruDaan mentioned some unwritten spells, but there are a few more: Dispel Hunger, Valor, Repel Undead, Bounce (this one is lulzy), Rune of Stasis, Map Area (fills out the automap around you) as well as some old UUW1 favourites like Tremor and Armageddon.

A few other things to do once you're in the endgame:

# Once you've eaten a dream plant to reach the Shrine of Spirituality, feed the rest to Mokpo. Drugs are goooood, mmmkay?

# Re-visit Garg the Troll in the Prison Tower.

# The Roaming Sight spell can help you spot some secret SECRET rooms. There's one such on the bottom level of the Pits of Carnage, and two more in the city of Anudunos, an area behind a cave-in (IIRC) in Loth's Tomb, and some bizarre secret ledge by the lava pit just before you reach Praecor Loth himself. To reach most of these you'll need the Portal spell, but the Reveal spell will also come in handy.

(The Mending spell can be used to refill a Lantern, BTW. Maybe it can be used to recharge a illumination sphere?)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how does the Roaming Sight spell actually work? I cast it, but I can't move or look around. I can't even bring up the save and load menu. The compass spins and there are footstep sounds, but the view area is frozen.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It gives you a bird's eye view of the dungeon, and I recall that there was some problem with moving around while the spell was in effect. At least I remember that I had to move about using a different manner than normal. Maybe the currsor keys instead of the WASD-like keys that was the standard?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom