Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks bro, I'll have a look at this.

MMXI

Arcane
I've been wondering though, is there any possibility to lower the music volume in comparison with the ingame sounds? As it is now, I barely hear the soundeffects because the music volume is too high (this has nothing to do with the roland emulation though, it was this way before).
Yeah, I've noticed this too. Unfortunately I can't think of a way to do this. Sound effects seem to be played in the same way as the music, so unless the game itself lets you toggle different volumes (and it doesn't as far as I know) then there's not really any way to pull this off.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, google search also hasn't brought up anything useful, it seems this problem can't be solved. Too bad, but on the other hand it's not such a big deal, doesn't spoil the enjyoment of the game like the piano sound effects did.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I find the music distracting in single character first person view games, so I turned it off in Ultima Underworld. If the music played only in dialogue mode I'd keep it, though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Not only do the sound effect in the game work properly now, but also the music sounds absolutely gorgious with roland emulation.
It does, doesn't it. I was floored the first time I ran this game with Roland music.

I've been wondering though, is there any possibility to lower the music volume in comparison with the ingame sounds? As it is now, I barely hear the soundeffects because the music volume is too high (this has nothing to do with the roland emulation though, it was this way before).
Yeah it's not an emulation problem. The reason is that, since both sounds and music are created by the module, their respective volumes are all controlled by the same controls (whether it's the MIDI volume in DOSBox, or even the volume control on the Roland module itself if you were using a real one). I think the only way to really separate them would be to have an actualy Roland MT-32 (not the CM-32L), find which part is used for sounds and control the volume of that part individually, but I don't even know if it's possible, and you'd then be missing out on the CM-32L-specific sound effects. So even if you could do it, it's not worth it.

Incidentally, you'd probably be having the same problem with SB mode (again whether real or emulation) since both sound and music would then be made by the OPL chip and subject to the same restriction and lack of individual control.

Personally I find the music distracting in single character first person view games, so I turned it off in Ultima Underworld. If the music played only in dialogue mode I'd keep it, though.
I can't think of any game that I really like but where I dislike the music (closest is maybe AP), but I find UW's music to be really awesome so there's no way I'd ever want to turn it off.

yellowcake

Arcane

Dude youre missing a treat. Music in UW (especially in hardware midi) is awesome.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The map music is still great after all this years. I still remember how the tune goes in my head.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, except knowing what the runes mean (they're words) helps.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No experience is needed. Ultima Underworld was developped as a separate universe before they slapped the Ultima license on it back when it was a seller. It actually is weirdly incosistent with the other games. There are a couple of things there that remind of Ultima (main character is the Avatar), but that is about it.

Ultima Underworld 2, however, is deeply anchored as an Ultima VII sequel.

The irony is that Ultima IX was supposed to include UW1 in the canon, with the encounter of a very special enemy as a Guardian's pawn.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No experience is needed. Ultima Underworld was developped as a separate universe before they slapped the Ultima license on it back when it was a seller. It actually is weirdly incosistent with the other games. There are a couple of things there that remind of Ultima (main character is the Avatar), but that is about it.

That's not entirely true. Sir Cabirus built a colony dedicated to the Virtues and there are all kinds of Eight Virtues-related things in the game.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yes. It appears in a few dialog, it is mentioned, there are ankhs around and object dedicated to eight virtues, but that's the whole stretch of it. It is not a virtue story, it ignores the whole Ultima lore and has been subsequently ignored. They brought back lizardmen and dwarves out of nowhere, for richard's sake.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I started playing Ultima with Ultima Underworld, and afterwards thought how lucky I was that I did so. As mentioned, it only covers the philosophy, symbolism and idealogy of Ultima and the Virtues, and the ret-cons (like the return of dwarves, lizards and goblins) was explained in a... satisfactory manner in the manual.

The only thing I did NOT like about the story and plot (besides the Baron being a total numbskull who doesn't recognize the six-time savior of Britannia in person) was that the survivors of the colony after the game ends were all sent to Dungeon Destard. In Ultima VII that place has more Draco Nobilis than you can shake a stick at.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's an alternate universe to me.
I never really put much thought in UW series having a lot of 'tie-in' with the plot. Especially the first one.
Although there is several nod to it like Guardian's invasion of Britain taking place in UW2 while the rest of the cast is trapped in the LB's castle.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Not a single dedicated thread to this game on this monocled forum?
Well, now we have.
There is a Let's play that looks promising from just reading the first page, though.

I decided to skip Ultima 7 on my play list since I just couldn't take the UI and too much of the game engine revolving around irrelevant item interaction, so after reading Ophidian Dragon's rather short blog about it, and Elzair's abandoned Let's Play, I know much more about the story leading up the UU2 than when I first played it 15+ years ago.
I remember it didn't grab me quite as much as UU1 and I never completed it. I think it was partly due to not being up to date on the Ultima story, since I hadn't played U5 to U7, and partly because some of the worlds were a boring, like the weird alien world with too many "rubber balls" respawning, and the arena world with too many armoured human fighters to fight.
But I remember really liking the Lost City, an idea which Looking Glass also used in the Thief games.

The poor sound (if you were stuck with a Soundblaster) was the only thing I disliked about UU1. It has been improved in UU2 and even with Soundblaster sound hitting a wall with a sword now actually sounds like hitting a wall with a sword.

I wonder how close I was to finishing it the first time? Time to find out...

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Hm, this thread is kind of relevant to my interests. I've recently thought about checking out UW2, but gone ahead with Arx Fatalis instead. Still, might play it anyway afterwards.

Can anyone tell me how it compares to UW1 in the big picture? Or even Arx? For reference, I thought UW1 was pretty neat-o, but had a hard ragequit somewhere on a level chockful of fire elementals (when I was checking some articles later on I found out I forgot to grab or forge or whatever some firewalking boots earlier, but the elemental mobs themselves were so motherfucking annoying I doubt walking on lava would have changed my experience much) and never came back.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Can anyone tell me how it compares to UW1 in the big picture? Or even Arx? For reference, I thought UW1 was pretty neat-o, but had a hard ragequit somewhere on a level chockful of fire elementals (when I was checking some articles later on I found out I forgot to grab or forge or whatever some firewalking boots earlier, but the elemental mobs themselves were so motherfucking annoying I doubt walking on lava would have changed my experience much) and never came back.
Boots are for fags. Just cast protection from fire.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have Ultima Underworld 1, Ultima Underworld 2 and Arx Fatalis. I plan on finishing the Gold Box series now that I knocked out the Might and Magic series, then move onto this series. I fiddled with UW1 and like what I saw so far.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Be sure to setup a mt-32 emulator before you play UW, and avoid the gog version like the plague (or extract the game files and run them separatedly).

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I am starting to see a certain pattern when it comes to Octavius and Deuce Traveler :M

EruDaan

Arcane
But not quite as cool somehow

Even if I absolutely prefer UW2 for it's refined controls and how broken potions and scrolls are in this game, I actually like UW1 more too. Dunno why... Maybe because you actually have a feeling of progress. You start in the topmost level of the dungeon where rivers flow and where ponds and open water is abundant and end up in levels where deep fissures part the floors and powerful enemeis and powerful treasures lie around.

UW2 is nice but most worlds you travel to, are either small and not that interesting or big mazes without much to discover. The Tomb of Praecor Loth is big... but nothng compared to level 7 of the Stygean Abyss if you ask me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom