Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SO uh, will my Valkyria Chronicles I bought for my PS3 work on the PS4?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
IIRC PS4 doesn't play blu-rays either, so there's no reason to scrap your PS3 that does that job well too.

Vaarna_Aarne

Hey Vaarna, didn't you have some sort of psychological training? What do you think of Calhoun's rats?
Psychological therapy (still ongoing), not training. But I do have some attempt at biological training. And from that I can say that Calhoun's results are very logical. The environment is always very fast to correct to population sizes, and species have something of a "maximum" number of contacts and proximity they can maintain (you may have heard of the monkey sphere). Removal of the normal limitations also means eventually exceeding the capacity of the individual organism to handle the state.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
it's interesting the correction comes from a 'internally' propelled population crash. Possibly successive crashes in isolated populations woulds lead to adaptation by modifying the psychological baseline of the population.

edit: for the topic, never use orders, it's a waste of movement points. To get A rank you need to finish the mission in 2 or 3 turns, and using a order is like removing at least 2/8 of your movement points. Much better to place a out of ammo unit in standby at the end of their move if you can and calling another one into the fray, or placing a unit in standby to leapfrog into a captured base if at the party limit. This is made easier by the dumbish AI which will capture a zone with a dangerous enemy like V2, but not never moving that dangerous enemy to the corresponding base where your soldier is a sitting duck, preferring to spawn reinforcements there, often much inferior (like scouts or wide machinegunners), so it's even worth it capturing a base even at the end of a turn, since 90% of the time you can whether any counter attack and cause the enemy to waste time capturing it again. On the next turn, activate your soldier again, kill the reinforcement, capture the base, standby and spawn something appropriate to kill everyone on the other side.

In fact, it's even worse, in that the AI will move more than one unit to capture a unguarded base, leaving the enemy units (geographically) closer to their deaths when you recapture it on the next turn, which makes what could be a dumb, but moderately effective delaying tactic much less potent.
Of course, if you can, you should capture the base AND kill whoever is on the other side on the same turn, which is why defense in depth is dumb in this game.

Also, it's often possible to kill 2 standing soldiers by careful positioning, more with the commando flamethrower or the fencer.

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
Finally finished this game (3+ years?) last night. Fucking great from beginning to end aside from cringe inducing writing and anime cliches at times. It's not always horrible though and can even be good. I liked Welkins' character, Rosie, Largo, and Faldio. Even Selvaria had believable motivations. Nothing memorable about Alicia, but at least she wasn't too angsty.

Maximilian was pretty typically retarded "I'm going to destroy the world because I had a bad childhood herp a dur" nonsense. Ending scene was absurd - why the hell did the Marmota explode?

Also appreciated lack of oversexualiza-

Ah fuck. Obligatory teenage girls in bikinis. I hate anime.

So I should skip everything on my backlog and go straight to Silent Storm it sounds like? I was thinking since I enjoyed this so much I should finally attempt a Company of Heroes playthrough, or one of the more strategic RPGs like Gold Box.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, Silent Storm is 100% worth it. Best thing to come out of Russia ever. Silent Storm: Sentinels is even better.

Servo

Arcane
Yea, Silent Storm is 100% worth it. Best thing to come out of Russia ever. Silent Storm: Sentinels is even better.

Hmm I still need to play X-COM too... and I still haven't finished Advance Wars: DS...

I need 1000% more free time.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I want to play this game but own no PS3. I hate this.

No PS3 emulators around I guess?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id/505/?searchString=Valkyria Chronicles

PxmvhTX.png

Now I know on what to spend my next videogaem moniez.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
MY GOD... there doesn't exist a pic/gif/clip that will properly represent my reaction, but I will try nonetheless.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Finally got the game for PS3 two months ago and could never find the time to play. I kinda deserved this to happen.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
lol, I must have prophetic powers.

The day before yesterday I was reading this thread and thinking this might be one of the few jRPGs I could maybe appreciate. "Too bad there's no port and I can't even play it on my room mate's PS4, I thought."

WELL, GOSH

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Holy shit, one of the best PS3 exclusives comes to PC.

:yeah:

Won't buy it tho, still have my PS3 CD, but still:incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom