Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The love story makes the main characters rather unbearable although they could just be forgettable.

May still be the best PS3 exclusive.

I used to say : "Buy a PS3 for Demon's souls and Valkyria Chronicles" ; I will say "Buy a PS3 for Demon's Souls".

Perkel

Arcane
Because VC2 and 3 are shit clones of VC1.
have you actually played 3? because it looks like you are just projecting all the shit 2 did badly onto 3 without knowing shit about it.

No after VC2 i don't want anything to do with VC on PSP.
People also said VC2 is soooo amazing until i actually played it and it was total piece of shit compared to VC1.

Explain me why should i care about VC3 because if i understand correctly it is same game as VC2 just with different story. As i heard it has same shitty anime tropes like VC2 just with different topping.

edit: Main point because VC2 sucked was that they changed target audience.

With VC1 they targeted mature gamers and they achieved this Legend of Galactic Heroes feel where in VC2 they gone completely for Otakus and filled game with tropes and shitty characters.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So fucking excited for this.
I never got any of the last gen (or current) consoles, but always wanted to play it.

Also, MGS V. Fucking A

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Explain me why should i care about VC3

Well, Perkel, I imagine that SuicideBunny doesn't give a fuck about whether or not you care about VC3. However you said that it was shit, and SuicideBunny's question "do you know even the slightest thing about it" is pretty relevant in that regard. Your answer seems to be "no." So I guess you could revise your statement to "I think VC2 is shit and therefore don't give a crap about VC3."

EDIT: Also, I think this is first time I've seen someone use "mature gamer" unironically 'round here.

Perkel

Arcane
There is big difference between Legend of Galactic Heroes style anime and your usuall anime.
That difference is target audience. More precisely target audience with certain minimum age that will understand themes in it.

VC1 style is completely different to filled with tropes, shitty characters, memes VC2 in that kind of way.

At surface VC1 looks like your anime game. But as you play you understand that themes presented in game aren't done in usual anime way (read this tropes, exposition of characters feelings presented in such a way that 5 year old would understand and so on).

This is why i used "mature" because you can't say anything different to compare VC1 epic tale of small squad and their struggle thorough war and VC2 slapstick japanese school drama filled with every archetype of anime characters screaming their feeling to each other and using by the way every character development trope in anime.

Even VC1 main love plot is done in a way that it is always in background but never fully fleshes out as in your usual game way.

VC1 is not perfect, it also has few tropes but usually menages to put weight of its brilliance on few other things that keep game fresh compared to multitude of other shitty JRPGs.

Also now that i think of it. Legend of Galactic Heroes was probably their main inspiration when they made it considering structure of game and its presentation.

edit:

Holy hell now i am sure that they were inspired. Main hero of game is more or less the same as main hero of LoTGH

Last edited:

bonescraper

Can any of you weeaboo faggots tell me why this game is "the best tactical squad turn-based combat in a loooooong time"?

All i saw on youtube is a shitty turn based third person shooter with gay ass animu graphics and tactical complexity of a mobile phone game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Perkel that's nice, but nobody here is arguing that vc2 with its small segmented maps and highschool dumbfuckery is a good sequel to 1.
Can any of you weeaboo faggots tell me why this game is "the best tactical squad turn-based combat in a loooooong time"?
i wouldn't say that. it's more of a puzzler, and as a tact/strat puzzle game it is very good.

Perkel

Arcane

All i saw on youtube is a shitty turn based third person shooter with gay ass animu graphics and tactical complexity of a mobile phone game.

It's not. But it's good tactical combat game and story itself is good compared to your usual anime fagotry.

Suicidal

Arcane

That's what I'm wondering as well. And I don't even hate console RPGs and animu.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is a really cool combat system.

The game takes place in turns, which are really subdivided unto sub-turns. Each turn you get a number of command points. Each point can be used to activate a unit and then that unit gets it's turn. An activated unit has a limited amount of movement it can use and 1 attack per activation. As you are moving around, enemies fire at you in real time.

This makes positioning super important, as good positioning can just destroy any enemy unit that tries to attack.

Then there are tanks which are immune to anything but explosive fire (and no explosive weapons get reaction fire), but take 2 command points to activate.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It should also be pointed out that a key part of tactics is that tanks also have a weak spot in their rear (radiator), which very importantly YOUR tanks also have. And the AI will mercilessly bitchslap you down to a game over if you end your turn with the tank positioned so poorly the AI can take a shot at the radiator. When that happens, the AI *will* go and kill your tank, which is Game Over screen.

This is also something the player will also have to learn to exploit on the AI's end, because the AI also has this same weak spot that makes destroying a tank considerably easier (especially if you have to use an anti-tank soldier or your light tank instead of your own command tank). Commands can also boost (some AI named NPC commanders also use Commands IIRC) armor combating ability to the point that other means of destroying tanks through targeting radiators can be used in a pinch.

Overall the reason why I rank Valkyria Chronicles on par with Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm is because it has a huge focus on positioning and mobile blitz combat and tactics, as well as an emphasis on very different unit capabilities (since every soldier is a very defined class with individual character's special traits added on top). VC AI is also a bit more capable of using the same tactical tools you've got available and countering your moves, since the AI will also demolish cover, exploit your radiators, use snipers, etc, so I find it often feels like a more worthy opponent than the tanktop wearing army of Arulco Val Verde.

But it should definately be pointed out that due to the more pinpointed focus, the game doesn't have the kind of breadth that Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm have, nor a tactical gimmick like their extent of destructible environment. You could say it relies more on having a solid tactical combat core, rather than all the options for amusement available in the prior two. Storming the capital of Arulco Val Verde is always fun when I take my time to acquire all kinds of dumb bullshit and play around with sub-optimal tactics like mortar cover and the like; same thing with using wayyyyy too many huge explosions in Silent Storm. So in a way it's apples and oranges, but I'll gladly say that all three together represent the pinnacle of the subgenre to me.

Though VC1 does have a better story than the other two. Alluding to the prior mention of maturity, I'd say it's probably best shown with how VC1 approaches the subject of ethnic cleansing. Specifically, the contrast made between Rosie's and Zaka's reactions to it.

The game takes place in turns, which are really subdivided unto sub-turns. Each turn you get a number of command points. Each point can be used to activate a unit and then that unit gets it's turn. An activated unit has a limited amount of movement it can use and 1 attack per activation. As you are moving around, enemies fire at you in real time.
Should be pointed out that one attack OR one item/action use per activation, so you either attack, use a healing kit, repair tank, or whatever. Additionally it should be pointed out that the game's overwatch system stops firing at you/enemy (your own dudes also takes potshots, and the AI is very effective in minimizing number of potshots it takes) when you are aiming the attack or action, so you are granted a measure of time to calculate your actions. Which is important, since the game has a scatter radius for each attack and its component parts in case of multishot weapons, so you do still have to think between optimal chance to hit (torso most often, can change based on relative positions of the combatants) and headshots for maximum potential damage.

deuxhero

Arcane
They aren't strictly immune, just so incredibly resistant it's pointless to try.

You can do it in a sane amount of time by order stacking and shooting the back at point blank range, but it's not really practical.

Actually, if this has Steam Achivements I would expect "destroy a tank using only small arms fire" to be one.

Avellion

Erudite

It is not "the best tactical squad turn-based combat in a loooooong time".

However, it has superb mission design, a cast that I didn't thoroughly dislike (pretty uncommon for JRPGs), absolutely no need to grind, replay value, a modern setting without resorting to swords and shields (Valkyrurs aside).

Best game on the PS3, aside from Demons Souls.

Only thing I didnt really like about it was the balancing being a bit off. In particular, I very seldomly bothered using any of the tanks, unless the mission was specifically designed for their use. And scouts with the proper orders broke the game.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The thing about mobility is that a lot of Missions make good use of it and forces you to split op and flank a position to win.

The Individual missions tend to be built in a way so they make kind of sens in the situation or force you to think outside the box to win. It's got great mission design and great use of cover and terrain features also.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well VC3 at least has excellent 'encounter' (mission) design, which alleviates some of the 'winning' strategy being very obvious most of the time. It still has repetitive maps somewhat.

The strategy of course is: conquer the basecamps as soon as you can, almost never start will all your slots filled in the mission (except if you're planning to move people in the apc - and in this case, make the apc pick them up), and if you do, retreat them while still in basecamps when you need people elsewhere (it costs 0 command points). If you conquer a basecamp and do not secure or otherwise move on from the corresponding basecamp on another map, it's probable that you're going to be reconquered, so you better retreat the unit that conquered the camp if you're not confident it can handle the reinforcements that will appear very close (you want to avoid this as it is mostly wasted effort, unless you really really want to make a enemy move from the other map).
Basically you always want the enemy to be (more than) decimated before they can move. One kill per movement or even 2 (possible if you align headshots and are very lucky with a auto-weapon, or 'provoked' enemy friendly fire) should be the norm. There are some very unjust missions where the enemy moves first (and they don't tell you in briefing ffs). You might consider restarting these and not having anyone defending the base camps, if they can't reach them in one turn or if your basecamp guard would die for sure - it's also a excellent way to make at least one enemy to come near you instead of vice versa so you might want to do this even on a normal mission.
Never use orders, unless they would make the mission objective easier to complete in time, such as refilling the ammo of the tank if you have a assassination mission and you're near the target and with 2 cmd points.

Still so you can see that VC3 has good encounter design in spite of this, on a later mission i concluded that the best way to win in time to not be overwhelmed by reinforcements (or win with S rank anyway, which is fail if you don't) and bombardments (after clearing some bunkers and retreating the used units) was to place a armored apc in front of a choke point so i could use its armour to make a scout bypasss the choke point and attack the basecamps behind them prior to mop up from behind. Not the sort of thing that happens by accident.

It's not perfect for a RT-PB hybrid. For instance it's possible to game the system by using reaction fire + tank to make enemies kill themselves by friendly fire or to use 'aim + walk, repeat' to approach a dangerous enemy without it being able to 'reaction fire' on you. (shamefully, i think this is required for S rank on some later missions of VC2).

Last edited:

Martius

Liturgist
Since I still have ps3 I will gladly buy it unless port will be crappy. I hope that would mean more pc port later. I would love something like Resonance of Fate or some Platinum games.

I have no mouth and I must wat at this news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom