Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nice QoL additions from today's beta client update. Yeah probably the major motivation behind these additions is Steam Deck, but still good for desktop: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/4515423468952376216

Steam Beta Client - January 31st

The Steam client beta has been updated with the following changes:

Library
  • Game details screen will now show disk space required for games that are not installed
Steam Input
  • Improve handling of changes to controller calibration, rumble on/off settings, etc when offline.
Steam Cloud
  • Add sync status to App Details page in Library
  • Add manual retry of Cloud sync for an app by clicking the above status if failed
  • If disconnected from Steam on game exit, queue sync for next time we re-connect
  • Fix to properly track file changes for games which use AutoCloud when playing offline
  • Improve game launch process when offline (remove most instances of long timeouts)
  • Update sync failure / conflict dialogs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/3104662546564716821

Steam Promotions Calendar, Discount Tools and Policy Updates
Details on sales and events for the first half of 2022, and new tools to help schedule and plan for them
5517611d1030e00c40c79727fae37cd14d905f92.jpg

Hello Steam game developers!

We know that being able to plan ahead is really important for running your business. Today we have news of a few items we’ve designed to help schedule and manage pricing discounts.

First, we’re announcing some new policies around the timing of discounts. These will be taking effect on March 28 and are intended to make discount eligibility more predictable and allow for more participation opportunities throughout the year.

We're also excited to announce the beta availability of new tools for managing participation in available opportunities across your portfolio of products.

Last but not least, we’re sharing the next six months of Steam’s promotional calendar, featuring dates and themes of upcoming sales and events.

Let's dig into the details

Discount Policy Changes Coming
Starting March 28, 2022, we'll be shortening the required cooldown period between discounts on Steam to four weeks (28 days to be exact) from the previous six week term. This means there must now be just 28 days between the end of one discount and the start of the next discount. Moving forward, all discount opportunities will be subject to this same 28-day cooldown period, with the only exceptions being our four major store-wide seasonal sales: Lunar New Year, Summer, Autumn, and Winter.

For more details, please see Discount Rule Changes documentation.

New Bulk Discounting Tools - In Beta
Starting today, we're opening beta access for all developers to a new bulk discounting tool for managing participation in promotional events. This tool is a centralized place where you can see all the promotions for which your game(s) qualify. It offers options to filter for specific games and events, register for participation, and set discounts. This new tool will also flag when a game is eligible for promotional events that are within the discount cooldown period, so you can easily view timing tradeoffs and make decisions about event participation.

You can also create custom discounts, and add multiple games to be offered at the same time. For those with multiple games on Steam, we hope this will make it much easier to set up things like simultaneous custom discounts on all your games, or sales on a base game and all its associated DLC.

Check out the new tools

Promo Calendar 2022
Here is our official promotions schedule for the first half of 2022. There are a number of themed sales coming up that may or may not apply to your games. For each event, we will be sending out invitations to eligible games, generally 2-3 months ahead of time. In the meantime, consider which of your games might be a fit for each event. Remember that you might have to make some tradeoffs if a game is eligible for two sale events that are within 28 days of one another.

Check out the full promotional calendar and more details here: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/marketing/upcoming_events

Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will there still be sale events that accompany other physical and digital festivals?

A. Absolutely! If you have been invited to participate in a Steam sale event organized by someone outside of Valve (eg. physical events such as PAX or Gamescom; regional events such as a Made in France sale) you'll just need to consider whether that event works for the discount cooldown timing on your game. It's also fine to participate in events like that without being on discount.

Q. Will these new discount cooldowns apply to curated promotions too?

A. Yes, discount cooldowns will apply to promotions like Daily Deals, Midweek Madness, Weekend Deals, Weeklong deals, publisher weekends, and any custom discounts. Any discount applied to a game must have 28 days between the end of one discount and the beginning of the next discount. The only exceptions to this cooldown are the four major seasonal sales: Lunar New Year, Summer, Autumn, Winter.

Sentinel

Arcane
Gaben on why Valve banned NFTs.
"The things that were being done were super sketchy," Newell told Eurogamer. "And there was some illegal shit that was going on behind the scenes, and you're just like, yeah, this is bad. Blockchains as a technology are a great technology, that the ways in which has been utilised are currently are all pretty sketchy. And you sort of want to stay away from that.

"We have the same problem when we're accepting cryptocurrencies, 50 percent of the cryptocurrency paid for transactions were fraudulent, right? You look at that and you're like, well, that's bad. And then cryptocurrency volatility meant that people had no idea what price that they were actually paying. Yes, they were anchored to a cryptocurrency, but most people's wages are not in cryptocurrencies.

"So they're like, how come I just paid $498 US dollars for this product? And if the answer is, you know, that's what happens when you have a highly volatile currency that you're paying for. That's like, today, you paid 99 cents for it tomorrow, you're going to pay $498 for and people that make people super cranky. So it just wasn't a good method. The people who are currently active in that space are not usually good actors."

Codex Year of the Donut
"So they're like, how come I just paid $498 US dollars for this product? And if the answer is, you know, that's what happens when you have a highly volatile currency that you're paying for. That's like, today, you paid 99 cents for it tomorrow, you're going to pay $498 for and people that make people super cranky. So it just wasn't a good method. The people who are currently active in that space are not usually good actors."
yet valve accepts the lira

ferratilis

Magister
Guys is there any way to delete cloud saves for a game, but without Steam redownloading them on launch after you delete them in the userdata folder? For example, I'd like to delete all my Kingmaker cloud saves because there are some characters I messed around with, and now there's a bunch save files being downloaded every time I install it. I'd prefer to keep it clean.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys is there any way to delete cloud saves for a game, but without Steam redownloading them on launch after you delete them in the userdata folder? For example, I'd like to delete all my Kingmaker cloud saves because there are some characters I messed around with, and now there's a bunch save files being downloaded every time I install it. I'd prefer to keep it clean.

I assume you've Googled this? There are a bunch of tutorials and I remember doing it before.

ferratilis

Magister

I assume you've Googled this? There are a bunch of tutorials and I remember doing it before.
Yes, I have. But for some reason, most of the methods I found online don't work with Kingmaker.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-been-found-in-an-aperture-desk-job-datamine/

Four unannounced Valve titles have been found in an Aperture Desk Job datamine
IT’S UNCLEAR IF ANY OF THESE GAMES ARE PLANNED FOR A FULL RELEASE

References to four unannounced Valve titles have been found within the files for Aperture Desk Job.

In a video by YouTube user Tyler McVicker (which can be viewed above), the user claims to have discovered what he calls “the most fruitful datamine I have ever experienced as a journalist”

The files are said to contain references to four significant titles: “Citadel, some kind of follow up to Half-Life: Alyx, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive’s Source 2 port and a recreation of the previously cancelled Portal paint game.”

It was reported last year that Valve was working on Half-Life Citadel, a game that McVicker described at the time as “Left 4 Dead, Alien Swarm, an RTS, and Half-Life all having a baby”.

“Somehow, a significant amount of Citadel code comments are just sitting in the Aperture Desk Job DLLs,” McVicker notes, saying there are “way too many for one video” before highlighting the comments he believes provide the most information about the game.

“Any of the things we talk about could very well be meant for other projects, but with no discernible tags, it seems to all fit within this one game,” McVicker says, stressing: “Take everything that we’re about to discuss with a grain of salt, nothing is confirmed until Valve themselves announce it.”

“Citadel appears to be a combines vs rebels, team-based, squad-based, class-based RTS-FPS hybrid,” McVicker continues. “The game appears to have a campaign, a single-player campaign and two major systems at play.”

These systems are referred to as ‘abilities’ and ‘bots’. McVicker describes abilities as “held items”, including weapons, upgrades, alt-fires, ammo, grenades and passive buffs for players, teams and squads. “Held abilities, like everything else, need to be attached to the players body,” McVicker explains.

Most of the notes discussed by McVicker pertain to information on how each of these abilities would work, lending credence to the idea that the game is fairly deep into development.

“The bots have a dynamic behaviour system, a mood and memory system that changes how they react to something during game of Citadel,” he adds.

The video goes on to explain that part of the proposed game would include taking control of a commander, which from the description appears to be used by the player to look at the action from a top-down perspective and deploy bots and teammates. This is the RTS-FPS hybrid element that’s mentioned in the datamine.

Aperture Desk Job is a free game set in the Portal universe, which was released last week to celebrate the arrival of the Steam Deck.

Aperture Desk Job has players taking on the role of an “entry-level nobody” on their first day at work at Aperture Science, the company featured in the Portal games.

The game’s main purpose is to serve as a tech demo to show players what the Steam Deck is capable of, but can also be played on PC (though it requires a controller).

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
RTS/FPS Hybrid - color me intrigued! I really dig the genre. Had good times with Savage, Natural Selection, Empires Mod etc.

El Presidente

Arcane
People have been datamining speculation-worthy Valve shit for centuries and they never turned into anything worthwhile other than HLVR eventually showing up as HL:Alyx. Valve is too inert riding that Steam wagon, to keep track of these things is an exercise in masochism at this point.

ADL

Prophet
Citadel has been very consistently datamined for years now and the people working on it seem to be very enthusiastic about it. Out of all the unreleased shit to be datamined over the years, this has a very high chance of actually releasing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom