Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Lhynn, I rate you as :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: / :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: :obviously: Give me your, say, top 3 modules. Not that there's much chance of ever installing NWN again, but just in case.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, depends on your taste, but i can give you my top 3 authors, all their modules are solid, some better than others but none of them are boring. As i was telling Rake on the other thread

Stephan Gagne: has some surprisingly good modules, pretty simple ones that are mostly story driven, the penultima series are their first modules and it shows, looks kinda cheap, the setting is interesting tho, imagine an utterly boring high fantasy medieval setting, where nothing interesting ever happens and where bureaucracy is the norm. Elegia and excrucio eternum are kinda fucked up psychological horror, the first one is a fairly linear adventure and the second one is more RPGy, you are in an asylum and discover that have been serving a derranged monster for the past 10 years or so without control over your actions.
Hex Coda i havent played because the 2nd part is not nor will ever be complete, a shame really as ive been told its his best work.

Adam Miller: His modules are a big campaign, shadowlords, dreamcatcher and demon are truly incredible achievements when it comes to scripting, youll see cool stuff, especially in the later modules, where the dude obviously was paying more attention to that than to the story itself. Still, it isnt bad, the character development is strong, especially in the later modules, but all of them present you with new or/and interesting concepts, like a town where no one can die, the defense of a japanesse dojo, riding a dragon and sinking a whole fleet, etc.

Fabien Ceruti: His series is the bastard of kosigan, still being made, is an awesome take on the medieval inquisition, demonic cults, witches, magic, adult themes like sex, betrayal, etc. lots of skills and attribute checks that would make most RPGs shrivel in comparison. Hes a french dude and all of his modules are in french, but most of them have been translated heard the 5th one is almost done translating and the dude is already making the 6th adventure.

I wouldnt say this are the best modules ive played, just that i like these 3 authors way of making them, as for other series: the Prophet series i heard is really good but never got to play it, the Aielund Saga is also pretty awesome, it is a bit linear but has a fair degree of C&C and takes you from a upstart adventurer to really great heights in a way that seems really natural, and that is hard to pull off, the writting is clever and later down the line you will notice that a lot of side quests are tied to the main quest, give context to the world and set up very good twists. Sadly the ending i remember it being a bit rushed, but it was solid non the less.

Nwn gets a lot of hate because its cool to hate on bioware and because of its abysmal OC but the modding community was really active.

PS: i remember i had a list with over 100 modules, half of them played half of them to play, sadly that list is on my old hardrive, ill see if i can get it back some day.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New interview with a terrible layout: http://mousenjoypad.com/interviews/wasteland-2-developer-interview/

Excerpt:
Are you planning to include some sort of a freeplay option? Maybe even make the game open ended?

We are making a specific experience with Wasteland 2 that you make one purchase and then dive into the dark post-apocalyptic world. It’s what the gamers wanted and what our backers supported. Based on success we’d like to continue adding more areas to explore and we’ll eventually add mod tools for our audience to flex their design muscles.

Obviously, the storyline is going to include the events of the first Wasteland, but what about the novellas? Are Chris Avellone’s stories going to be referenced in one way or another?

We’ve made an effort to have a synergy with the novellas which give backstory to events in the world and provide clues and even passwords that are useable in game. You can even question Vargas about some story characters than can only be found in the written stories. And Chris got so excited he ended up writing an entire novel so expect quite a read there.

Lastly, what after the game is done? Are you already planning a follow-up title, as the Wasteland was originally supposed to be a trilogy?

Here is the beauty of being a smaller company without investors. We don’t need to have hurry up and get a sequel out to show growth our make our fiscal year. I certainly don’t want to stop making Wasteland games but we have a few other interesting ideas and I’d like time to hone any sequel ideas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I imagine there was never any question that they'd make an expansion pack if they could.

Trying to imagine it now, developer comes up to me, tells me I should buy their game, tells me it has lots of soul, and love, and feeling, I laugh. :keepmymoney: Todd Howard comes in:hearnoevil:: "Games aren't defined by a list of bullet points... They're defined by the experience you want people to have." Game ships with only one feature on back of case: "Has real soul". Felipepepe : :d1p:

But on a serious note, might be controversial but I was hoping they'd just go straight into a sequel for W2, like they did with Fallout. But I guess they'll need more time to recharge their soul gems. ;)

buzz

Arcane
Why would they care about a sequel now? It's like everyone forgot that Torment ToN is not even close to being finished. The last update was in April, and this is how it looks right now.

Athelas

Arcane
Why would they care about a sequel now? It's like everyone forgot that Torment ToN is not even close to being finished. The last update was in April, and this is how it looks right now.
Still looks better than Wasteland 2.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Not right now, but a few months after Wasteland 2 is released? I'm sure inXile have seen the advantages of having a long pre-production period, so they might want to get started with something then.

Athelas

Arcane
Their pitch for T:ToN was 'we will be done with WL2 in 6 months, so we'll need a project by then' which was just baffling. Ended up being what, a year and a half?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Their pitch for T:ToN was 'we will be done with WL2 in 6 months, so we'll need a project by then' which was just baffling. Ended up being what, a year and a half?
Wut?

The reason they launched early was that some of the people who worked on W2 were done with it and needed another job.

Athelas

Arcane
Wut?

The reason they launched early was that some of the people who worked on W2 were done with it and needed another job.
Found the quote after some digging, it was 8 months. It was also mentioned in the video pitch I think.
Our “half team” is ready to start the pre-production for Torment now. They need about 8 months to get this pre-production work done. In an amazing coincidence, in about 8 months I will have a full team that is ready to take that pre-production plan and create a game.

Although the idea that writers/designers are done after pre-production seems pretty weird to me. Shouldn't those writers be busy writing and designing during the actual production?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Although the idea that writers/designers are done after pre-production seems pretty weird to me. Shouldn't those writers be busy writing and designing during the actual production?
From what I understand, Nathan Long stayed with W2 longer and did any additional writing that was needed during production.

For the most part, if you are adding content during production, that means you screwed up. Obsidian is using the same approach with PoE.

Torment kickstarter went up a year after Wasteland 2's, it's been more than a year since Torment's now, thinking three months ahead I would imagine they'd be at the same point as they were, with their "half team" ready to move on to pre-production of another game.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
that Gale fag said:
My favourite franchises are Lords of Shadow, Mass Effect and The Witcher. But I do love me some mind-numbing FPS from time to time.
Yes, you've said that in the previous sentence already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom