Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter on May 30th

grimace

Arcane
First post: Apr 20, 2019
They were HOW HIGH when they posted this?

Devs said they're going to release a video on friday showing off the early procedural systems. Hopefully that means they're actually making the game instead of fantasising about making the game
Proc gen systems are easy to show off. Just load them with some assets and press a button. What's hard is implimenting them into a game in the right way. Which we won't see because there is no game.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Proc gen systems are easy to show off.
Let's see yours then.
Which we won't see because there is no game.
I heard they lost their magic wand. You know, the one that would allow them to go from a random Youtuber saying "Let's make a Daggerfall successor" to a finished game in three years, despite there being no budget and the team consisting of volunteers working in their free time.

How long did it take to make Daggerfall Unity? That at least started with a (mostly) finished game to work from.

Harthwain

Magister
Next year in an actual game that we are actually proud to show off. Hopefully. If we don't have another global overreaction to a cough. Although it's not technically my system. One of the people I'm working with made it.
Out of curiosity - what genre?

Next year in an actual game that we are actually proud to show off. Hopefully. If we don't have another global overreaction to a cough. Although it's not technically my system. One of the people I'm working with made it.
Out of curiosity - what genre?
Tactical RPG, Jagged Alliance like. But with custom characters with customisable personalities that react to one another. It's set in a fantasy world roughly close to a colonial era where you are colonising a land full of savage orcs and have to figure out how you're going to do it on a sandbox procedually generated island. Depending on how good we are we hope to have proc gen cultures, terrain, cities, and what not. It won't be super fleshed out because it doesn't need to be. But think of standalone maps like Xcom or JA with an overworld. Originally we were going to do our own "Daggerfall sequel but good" but Covid happened, then some people left, others joined, investors wanted a reduction in scope which was completely fair of them to ask considering the current economy and here we are. We have absolutely nothing to show right now because we're still working out how to implement the procedural systems we made. We can press a button to make terrain, or a whole map. But the trick is programming the algorithms to make a map that's fun and makes sense. And have that be repeatable with different but still fun results.

It's a programming issue and I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on it. I'm just going off what I've been told by far more knowledgeable people than me.

Lemming42

Arcane
Reporting in to hear the latest COLONY ORC GAME news.

I'm not even kidding, I've just added "COLONY ORC GAME" to my txt file of upcoming games to watch out for. Expecting great things now.

ADL

Prophet
Disappointed by the scale. 200,000sqkm is too damn big. Morrowind mainland+Vvardenfell was originally supposed to be 600-900sqkm and I was hoping for something like that where it's still massive but a lot more manageable. This is big for the sake of big.

curds

Magister
Disappointed by the scale. 200,000sqkm is too damn big. Morrowind mainland+Vvardenfell was originally supposed to be 600-900sqkm and I was hoping for something like that where it's still massive but a lot more manageable. This is big for the sake of big.
this is a spiritual successor to daggerfall; big for the sake of big was the defining feature of that game.

grimace

Arcane
mpv-shot0046vweur.jpg

mpv-shot0047hzenl.jpg

I goess a globe planet is acceptable in a FANTASTY game.

delicious donut hole

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I agree that 200,000sqkm is too big, one of the flaws of Daggerfall is the wilderness and that you can't really walk anywhere, you only really fast travel. I imagine this game will have the same problem if it's that large.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nah, it's not that big. 40.000km2 smaller then real life Britain. If you have enough transportation means to get from point A to point B (horse, cart, trade caravan, boat, ship, fantastical mounts like Silt Striders, teleportation portals/spells, fast travel system etc) it will be fine. Also will give ecosystems enough space to breath, so you won't have situations where bears live 5m from your doorstep

Of course these Circus Clowns should be perfectly incapable to make side-scroller let alone first person Daggerfall 2. We'll see

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Clearly, more kilometers == better.

The planet generation seems interesting but probably not that useful as it's not something you'll see in first person in the ground. The built-in landscape in Unreal only supports flat terrain (although it does have World Composition for large open world games), so if they are making a custom solution, they will have a lot of work to do.

The dungeon generation doesn't look any better than any of the existing dungeon generators out there. If anything, it looks a little flat compared to the 3d dungeons of Daggerfall. And very monotonous.

I am bothered by the skeleton at the end. He starts flying a full second before the sword lands.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Well, apparently all this is very pre-alpha, early look at systems. More glimpse then look, since in comments they said how they'll dive deeper into details about different aspects of this system (terrain generation, dungeon mosaic automatic creation, ecosystems of living creatures and humanoids placement and interaction, creation of living fantasy world simulation etc). I'm personally surprised that Julian appeared through his voice in official video and that he hasn't given up already on project

I have much more faith in Monomyth or Archaelund then this. This video as video showed nothing except that they know how to launch UnReal Engine.exe

grimace

Arcane
My gut says whatever remains of OnceLost is attempting to excite investors with Julian's name and 'experience' in the 'industry'.

Data4

Arcane
I'm not so sure about the buildings. On the one hand, I realize they're going for modularity, but on the other, I can't help but just see Daggerfall buildings with upgraded textures. I'm not a graphics whore in terms of it being the only reason I play a game, but in 2026 or whenever this thing presumably will be out, there's going to be certain expectations.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Nah, it's not that big. 40.000km2 smaller then real life Britain. If you have enough transportation means to get from point A to point B (horse, cart, trade caravan, boat, ship, fantastical mounts like Silt Striders, teleportation portals/spells, fast travel system etc) it will be fine. Also will give ecosystems enough space to breath, so you won't have situations where bears live 5m from your doorstep

Of course these Circus Clowns should be perfectly incapable to make side-scroller let alone first person Daggerfall 2. We'll see

On top of that, big country is a great excuse to LARP a hunter's life and have meaningful survival elements in the gameplay. The escapist feel of "getting away from it all" and living out in nature with just the flora and fauna is quite popular in games, so if they can manage to pull that off, it will be a bit of a draw.

Harthwain

Magister
I am bothered by the skeleton at the end. He starts flying a full second before the sword lands.
"Before the sword lands"? What sword? He gets kicked.

I do like how ponderous the skeleton's movements are. They do give that impression of the skeleton lacking muscles (and therefore the strength) to properly swing a sword. I also like that he gets blown into pieces. It really sells the idea of the creature to me.

I also really like how the torch's flame looks. I think this is the best torch I've seen to date.

On top of that, big country is a great excuse to LARP a hunter's life and have meaningful survival elements in the gameplay. The escapist feel of "getting away from it all" and living out in nature with just the flora and fauna is quite popular in games, so if they can manage to pull that off, it will be a bit of a draw.
The workload is the biggest issue when it comes to making stuff big. Even with the world generation I imagine there would be a plenty to work on. We shall see how it turns out, I suppose... I am surprised with their devlog video, to be honest. I didn't expect them to show anything, ever. I do like some of the things they've shown in there.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'm surprised even a single screenshot exists. Probably master programmer Julian and few more boomers coupled with famous Skyrim modders did make something. Interesting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom