Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter on May 30th

I have no horse in this race, but to see something still in early stages come back 5 years after it was announced is dubious, at best. Can we gift Codex potato? It would be fun to start a betting pool on projects like these.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I have no horse in this race, but to see something still in early stages come back 5 years after it was announced is dubious, at best. Can we gift Codex potato? It would be fun to start a betting pool on projects like these.
All-volunteer team.

Non-gamedevs probably won't understand how distasteful the concept is seen in the wider game-making community. A lot of us started out on these hobby projects with super poor organization and "rev-share" type deals. It's the mark of an amateur.

Talented people should be paid. People who have a good sense of their own self-worth will demand to be paid.

It's no coincidence this team seems to be on younger side.

Harthwain

Magister
All-volunteer team.

Non-gamedevs probably won't understand how distasteful the concept is seen in the wider game-making community. A lot of us started out on these hobby projects with super poor organization and "rev-share" type deals. It's the mark of an amateur.

Talented people should be paid. People who have a good sense of their own self-worth will demand to be paid.
Eh, if some people are eager enough to do this as their passion project, I don't see the problem. Of course they are amateurs. That's what being a "professional" really means: you do something you're paid for.

I usually think people are too quick to accuse things of being scams. Game development is not simple or automatic; sometimes things are started with the best of intentions and go wrong anyhow. That said...

This is a scam.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Alright, you talked me into the kick starter. Usual I'd rather play a game once it's complete. But if it means helping the team
Welp, here it is: first time I'm supporting a Kickstarter campaign
Will be the first kickstarter I support

Plenty of first timer rubes who were underage during the first round of Kickstarting 10 years ago.

Well, they know how to engage a bot farm at least.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Eh, if some people are eager enough to do this as their passion project, I don't see the problem. Of course they are amateurs. That's what being a "professional" really means: you do something you're paid for.
I've seen too many unorganized, leaderless projects that raise a bunch of money from crowdfunding only to fall flat on their face, leading to a bunch of drama and accusations of being a scam.

Their time and effort (and reputation) could be better served doing other things.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
No I won't be donating to this. Yes I want to play 21st century Daggerfall with all the trimmings. Stop blackpilling.

grimace

Arcane
Before the Kickstarter page goes live what do we expect the minimum amount will be to be "funded"?

Vulpes

Scholar
It would be a wonder if it's anything below 400.000 given their previous history with publishers. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if their goal ends up being a ridiculous sum like 1.2 million USD

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

At 3:50 - Cambion as playable race?
14:00 - He details how procedural generation ideally would work
15:46 - Interesting idea of events happening no matter what PC does
17:05 - Interesting way to make generated quests better made
20:24 - The class system

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
-looks at kickstarter throwing out a bunch of huge promises-

Oh boy I've never seen that before ever.

I'm sure the project has enough fans and "fans" to support the project, based on name recognition and marketing. But the only thing that will make it appeal to not brain-dead people is a working, quality demo.

Will there be a playable demo or is this project nothing but concept art and walking through unreal environments? I have no experience in Unreal and even I can do that, and much better than what we've seen here.

I guess we'll see in a few days.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'm sure the project has enough fans and "fans" to support the project, based on name recognition and marketing. But the only thing that will make it appeal to not brain-dead people is a working, quality demo.
3.500 people were pre-subscribed to their Kickstarter 2 weeks ago. It's in TOP100 most wishlisted games on Steam. They are good at story selling

Despite having 2 successful and good RPGs already released, with 100s of thousands of happy players, these Skyrim tranny modders coupled with OG Elder Scrolls Boomers will make more money then ATOM Team and Swordhaven. How? Magic of marketing. And first person. Aaand selling dream of GRAND RPG. Innovation in genre without true innovation for 20 years. Technology is there

BG3 didn't innovate nor did DD2. They are just WOKE + high production values. These guys want to innovate + WOKE. Can they? Don't know, know I'll be enjoying shitshow regardless of outcome

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's in TOP100 most wishlisted games on Steam.

I did a spit take at this. And then I laughed to myself and said "no way, top 100 wishlists for a game where the only footage is walking through a forest in 20 FPS?"

So I did a check. And while the game's not top 100, it's still in the top 300, which is still way higher than I expected.

1715974638291.png

Honestly, life is disappointing sometimes.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
As far as true™ role-playing simulation, since Daggerfall in 1996 no game or RPG tried to simulate another (fantasy) world to the same or greater degree. Simulation would involve simulating fantasy in that world as well and connecting that simulation to gameplay systems. True western isekai. Many different games tried this or that part of simulation, but they all ran out of money or ambition

People want something WOW! Technology is literally there, that's not the problem. Problems are in Wayward Realms' case...many. You'll see

I'll post pictures of this Game World's official goddesses. They have been reveiled over past few weeks. That should give you good taste of vibe...

...let's say this World hates Humans, especially White, extra more if male. Orc being protagonist in 90% of their trailers is not coincidence. Open communists, furry moderators, witch feminists, trannies gallore, redditors everywhere, zoomer my first RPG was Skyrim, Ted Peterson with his adopted black son who he dresses as mage and flails himself every day for giving Redguards lesser intelligence stat in Elder Scrolls... Nothing of that is exaggeration. Their official Discord tells everything about them

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It's in TOP100 most wishlisted games on Steam.

I did a spit take at this. And then I laughed to myself and said "no way, top 100 wishlists for a game where the only footage is walking through a forest in 20 FPS?"

So I did a check. And while the game's not top 100, it's still in the top 300, which is still way higher than I expected.

View attachment 49714

Honestly, life is disappointing sometimes.
Thank you for correcting me. I was too lazy to double check. My bad. I remember browsing Steam TOP Wishlist chart and seeing them ABSURDLY high, prior to Kickstarter, prior to Early Access, prior to game existing in any material form on players' hard drives. Again, explanation would be: LEGACY RPG Dev STARS + promise of GRAND Innovation

It is literally possible with current technology and team of good programmers, designers, artists and writers. Are they THAT Team? Ummm...not sure, Chief

Spike

Educated
As far as true™ role-playing simulation, since Daggerfall in 1996 no game or RPG tried to simulate another (fantasy) world to the same or greater degree. Simulation would involve simulating fantasy in that world as well and connecting that simulation to gameplay systems. True western isekai. Many different games tried this or that part of simulation, but they all ran out of money or ambition

People want something WOW! Technology is literally there, that's not the problem. Problems are in Wayward Realms' case...many. You'll see

I'll post pictures of this Game World's official goddesses. They have been reveiled over past few weeks. That should give you good taste of vibe...

...let's say this World hates Humans, especially White, extra more if male. Orc being protagonist in 90% of their trailers is not coincidence. Open communists, furry moderators, witch feminists, trannies gallore, redditors everywhere, zoomer my first RPG was Skyrim, Ted Peterson with his adopted black son who he dresses as mage and flails himself every day for giving Redguards lesser intelligence stat in Elder Scrolls... Nothing of that is exaggeration. Their official Discord tells everything about them
Daggerfall is boring.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"no way, top 100 wishlists for a game where the only footage is walking through a forest in 20 FPS?"

They have people who worked in Daggerfall as their main selling point. Ted Peterson worked in Arena and Daggerfall

But at this moment, they are close to 4k people being notified about the kickstarter

Ew9aC9R.png

Orc being protagonist in 90% of their trailers is not coincidence. Open communists, furry moderators, witch feminists, trannies gallore, redditors everywhere, zoomer my first RPG was Skyrim, Ted Peterson with his adopted black son who he dresses as mage and flails himself every day for giving Redguards lesser intelligence stat in Elder Scrolls... Nothing of that is exaggeration. Their official Discord tells everything about them

What? I never heard about wokeness from them.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Daggerfall is boring.
There are two problems with that statement. First: To YOU, pal. Second: Daggerfall's IDEA is exciting. These guys are Idea Sellers, they probably even managed to get themselves hooked on same idea too. Will this crush and burn?

I asked best AI we have, called Intuition GPT and likelihood of shitshow is: 80%

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What? I never heard about wokeness from them
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

You serious? They have weekly competitions in drawing Orc futa (trannies) with big dicks on their Discord. Final judge is Ted Peterson who loves talking about dicks, balls, boobs and his line of designer T-shirts. 0 exaggeration

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Also: All Human kingdoms are like in Pillars of Eternity mixed race by default. Cambions are Demons that can be born by any race and they are celebrated at every step by Devs. Cambions look and behave like Demon Drag Queens from Story Hour with American children

Their breed of WOKE is veryyy Boomery, Joe Biden's personal idea of WOKE. Probably influence of Ted Peterson, original artist from Daggerfall (that's why art looks good) and Julian LeFay (that's why they have any footage in game engine to show). As WOKE as new Afro-Ukranian AI ambassador that has been released few days ago? Yes. As WOKE as Ukraine which spends millions on sucking cocks of trannies while at the same time gives brave patriotic soldiers some cheap hookers before sending them to certain death and then makes video game with said hookers destroying Russian tanks by punching them? YESH

Brand of WOKE which says: YES! We're WOKE. AAAAND YES! we want your money. BG3 brand of WOKE that most of you sad gaming addicts and mind cucks are more then happy to swallow like good goys

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Ted Peterson worked in Arena and Daggerfall
And Morrowind and Oblivion in much lesser roles. He also got Troika gig with White Wolf for VtM:B. Dude, as cucked as current version of him is, literally created Elder Scrolls and almost all good lore. He is more then decent writer. Tranny romances in this game will be better written then in other

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom