Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Kenshi sold really well, and it's HD Morrowind in desert. Not to mention Factorio, Darkest Dungeon, Stoneshard, Paradox's GSGs, Prison Architect, Rimworld and many, many others

Sure, they sold 1-5 milion copies on Steam with graphics they had. Their focus was art style and gameplay > number of pixels. And Daggerfall 2 should aim 1-5 million copies sold, not more. I mean, more is welcome, but shouldn't be aimed. If you aim at more copies sold then 5m, you invest in Elder Scrolls 6. And then next things happen: RPG mechanics? Thrown through the window. Normies are allergic to numbers. Interesting lore and story that's woven with gameplay systems and world simulation that makes everything you read from well written in-game books actually happen when you leave the safety of your in-game house? Normies would buy game without it, anyway. CUUUUT!

Elder Scrolls 6 I'll let Todd Howard make

Gastrick

Cipher
They will hit a point where Unreal simply doesn't support the more advanced stuff they want. Especially proc gen and world size. So they're going to have to replace that. Which will then break more things that need replacing. And development just becomes wackamole.
What exactly about Unreal makes using proc gen and a large world size such a mess?
If they were set on making an actual (spiritual) sequel to Daggerfall, there's little reason to not simply use Daggerfall Unity as a starting point. It's MIT-licensed, after all.
They'll spend years reimplementing systems in whatever engine they pick before they even get started on the actual game. For reference, Daggerfall Unity(including whatever it was named previously, I forget) has been in development since 2013 or somesuch.
That's a good point, the modders who joined the Once Lost games project probably would have been able to replace all the sprites and basic 3D models with Skyrim graphics already if that was what they were going for.
I'm of firm belief that game like Daggerfall 2 can't afford nor needs graphics better then Morrowind has with prettiest modding make up on. Skyrim HD with Morrowind/Daggerfall's art direction would look and feel soooooooo gud. Art direction is king
I agree, 2d graphics are better looking and are more detailed and simple 3d lets you clearly see clearly what the contours of the enemies and environment are.
Interesting art direction can look amazing, the game who linked looks pretty cool.
Including them this morning welcoming 2nd year compsci student with "some C++ knowledge" as programming Messiah!
It was an account with a female name, maybe they were just tipping their fedoras.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Aren't these guys suppose to be professionals? Why are they asking random plebs for advice? We're all mostly too incompetent to make a game and doing what gamers tell you they want is usually bad. Players don't know what they want. If it was up to us, we would choose to be given a +15 sword at level one that would ruin the whole game for us, and despite complaining about teh game being too easy, we would never throw the sword away. Or we would powergame our characters in character creation and make the game so easy that it becomes uninteresting. Nothing worse than a power gamer.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Aren't these guys suppose to be professionals? Why are they asking random plebs for advice? We're all mostly too incompetent to make a game and doing what gamers tell you they want is usually bad. Players don't know what they want. If it was up to us, we would choose to be given a +15 sword at level one that would ruin the whole game for us, and despite complaining about teh game being too easy, we would never throw the sword away. Or we would powergame our characters in character creation and make the game so easy that it becomes uninteresting. Nothing worse than a power gamer.
They found a new community manager/PR guy who decided that regular Twitter activity was important to keep people engaged and confident that the game is still being developed.

HumanAndHalf

Literate
Aren't these guys suppose to be professionals?
Stalker 2 developers knew better than announcing the game too early and telling too much before they have something to show. I mean, Shadow of Chernobyl happened.

So they still announced the game before having anything to show, and now their russian social media posts shite like "which faction is your favorite" aimed at keeping up some semblance of hype train among schoolkids, as it seems from the comments. They are supposed to be professionals, yet they do this shit and can't even avoid mistakes in their trailer (which had their logo repeat itself on the door very visibly). Their PR managers keep saying a lot while saying nothing, and getting asked on older stuff results in "source: dude trust me/my ass." I suppose the Wayward Realms dudes decided to go the same way, with only difference being that Stalker 2 is actually in development and has money.

raceofnecromancers

So, I'm one of the fanboys taken on to "develop" this nonexistent game. Actually I'm a published author who put his (super small-time) book deal on the back burner to write for the FOUNDERS OF THE ELDER SCROLLS. I thought my ship had come in.

Not only is the worst shit you guys have said about TWR and OnceLost 100% true--the truth is actually worse.

No one picked up the bill for our website, various accounts, etc. All lost. Including access to the design docs. Our "Lead Developer," who btw is an overnight security guard or some shit and lacks even a single marketable skill--he has taken up the bill personally to rebuild a website, accounts, etc out of pocket. Ted and Julian have not chipped in.

The community--and most of the "team"--have been lead to believe that a deal with a publisher could happen at any time!! Despite Ted not even having access to the email account he had been using to speak to potential investors.

No one has the design docs. No one even has the ability to speak to Julian, except this one guy who tried to turn TWR into a kickstarter vaporware scam and "dissolve the company" after acquiring funds. I'm not shitting you. Fortunately Ted and his team of fanboys listened enough to warnings that this was prevented. The guy who tried to pull it off is still around, of course, because no one has any balls.

Wonder what has been accomplished in engine? A FEW art assets... and some actual Trantifa person piddled around with making hit boxes or something. And a tiiiiiny bit of preliminary UI. In, what? A year and a half?

No one has seen a single line of 4th Dimensional Julian Programming.

Since I came on board Ted has farted around with some noble family names. That's it, as far as I've seen.

I wrote... so much great shit for this project. An entire summer of production fully dedicated to in-game books, design docs, etc. I believe I have accomplished more than any other person associated with TWR. Because no one does anything other than, like, chat a little.

I have SO MANY stories. But I'll save it.

I have no ill will toward these guys. Theyre just hanging on to a dead dream. I was too. I just wanted so badly for it to be true. I'm a gifted writer. This was my chance to avoid writing shit I don't want to write, while still providing for my family.

Ted I believe, despite how sadly liberal he is, is a nice person who genuinely wants to help people and has the best intentions.

The people involved with this game will boot me if this gets back to them. Id rather avoid that, obviously, because I like some of them. They have no idea this forum exists.

raceofnecromancers

Oh, I forgot to mention the t shirt peddling that's coming your way! The 30 or so regulars on our discord server will be asked to chip in and buy a Wayward Realms t-shirt! We need funding to purchase Unreal assets ... lmao
This idea is courtesy of our dream team of unemployed retail workers.

Other tidbits:
OnceLost Games is not even a company. There is no LLC.

Our social media person is just one of the writers who happened to be pals with our Lead Security Guard.

Ted has barely been active since mid summer. Pops in here and there, shoots the shit, gives no instruction. He and I used to speak regularly, but an can't even get in touch anymore.

Oh, and I should clarify that we lost our website, accounts, emails, etc after Ian left because no one paid the bill. The security guard is trying to fix this, with his own cash.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Well, you've come to the right place for friends, sympathy and true fulfillment, Mr. Gifted Writer.

Bulo

Scholar
I'm something of a gifted writer myself. I think that's why I was banned from their Discord.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Your lack of skill in the field of information gathering is disgusting and proof of the degeneration of later generations. I recommend acquiring a Tactical Israelite or two for peak efficiency.

Let the maestro show you how it's done. Blue is me. Pink is my Shylock.
Considering that there were publishing deals cooking up for the fucking TWR with these people in charge, would israelites give the same amount of money for a smaller scale slav RPG (after reading the design doc ofc) to me by any chance?

jungl

Augur
Daggerfall was a very basic game. 2d graphics randomy generated world. If one guy can make a might and magic inspired sequel so can one make daggerfall. The sad reality is though they know the game is not profitable with a group of developers.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So, I'm one of the fanboys taken on to "develop" this nonexistent game. Actually I'm a published author who put his (super small-time) book deal on the back burner to write for the FOUNDERS OF THE ELDER SCROLLS. I thought my ship had come in.

Not only is the worst shit you guys have said about TWR and OnceLost 100% true--the truth is actually worse.

No one picked up the bill for our website, various accounts, etc. All lost. Including access to the design docs. Our "Lead Developer," who btw is an overnight security guard or some shit and lacks even a single marketable skill--he has taken up the bill personally to rebuild a website, accounts, etc out of pocket. Ted and Julian have not chipped in.

The community--and most of the "team"--have been lead to believe that a deal with a publisher could happen at any time!! Despite Ted not even having access to the email account he had been using to speak to potential investors.

No one has the design docs. No one even has the ability to speak to Julian, except this one guy who tried to turn TWR into a kickstarter vaporware scam and "dissolve the company" after acquiring funds. I'm not shitting you. Fortunately Ted and his team of fanboys listened enough to warnings that this was prevented. The guy who tried to pull it off is still around, of course, because no one has any balls.

Wonder what has been accomplished in engine? A FEW art assets... and some actual Trantifa person piddled around with making hit boxes or something. And a tiiiiiny bit of preliminary UI. In, what? A year and a half?

No one has seen a single line of 4th Dimensional Julian Programming.

Since I came on board Ted has farted around with some noble family names. That's it, as far as I've seen.

I wrote... so much great shit for this project. An entire summer of production fully dedicated to in-game books, design docs, etc. I believe I have accomplished more than any other person associated with TWR. Because no one does anything other than, like, chat a little.

I have SO MANY stories. But I'll save it.

I have no ill will toward these guys. Theyre just hanging on to a dead dream. I was too. I just wanted so badly for it to be true. I'm a gifted writer. This was my chance to avoid writing shit I don't want to write, while still providing for my family.

Ted I believe, despite how sadly liberal he is, is a nice person who genuinely wants to help people and has the best intentions.

The people involved with this game will boot me if this gets back to them. Id rather avoid that, obviously, because I like some of them. They have no idea this forum exists.
Since you still own the rights to everything you've written and since you're going all out anyway, do you mind posting some of your stuff? Would be nice to see what this game could've been in terms of writing.

You're probably covering your tracks by pretending to be a writer though, since as you claim you don't want to be found out. If that's the case, that's ok.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The sad reality is though they know the game is not profitable with a group of developers.

Your reasoning is absolutely retarded.

The problem is not with the fact that a group of developers makes it unprofitable to develop this kind of game, but rather that this particular group of "developers" are absolutely ineffective. Whether it's because they lack leadership (such as the benevolent guidance of big publisher brother) or because they're past their prime (or never even achieved their prime), they have failed to produce anything of substance in a significant amount of time.

It's like putting a group of obese diabetics on a timed race and deducing that individuals do worse when they run together.

HumanAndHalf

Literate
Daggerfall was a very basic game. 2d graphics randomy generated world. If one guy can make a might and magic inspired sequel so can one make daggerfall. The sad reality is though they know the game is not profitable with a group of developers.
Nowadays a shit game with barely any gameplay can be profitable, what are you talking about?

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they have failed to produce anything of substance in a significant amount of time.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this start back in April, 2019 because there was an Elder Scrolls video at Youtube and some random guy posted a comment about a Daggerfall successor needing to be made? The channel owner later mentioned it to one of the original Daggerfall developers (not sure if it was Ted or Julian) and then before there was any sort of documentation or any consensus about anything really, this channel owner decided to tell the world?

This then led to lots of people talking about something that wasn't anything more than a single idea and expecting a game to magically appear from that overnight.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
they have failed to produce anything of substance in a significant amount of time.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this start back in April, 2019 because there was an Elder Scrolls video at Youtube and some random guy posted a comment about a Daggerfall successor needing to be made? The channel owner later mentioned it to one of the original Daggerfall developers (not sure if it was Ted or Julian) and then before there was any sort of documentation or any consensus about anything really, this channel owner decided to tell the world?

This then led to lots of people talking about something that wasn't anything more than a single idea and expecting a game to magically appear from that overnight.
It started with said Youtuber interviewing Julian and then contacting other Daggerfall devs to float the idea of a spiritual successor. Nothing was announced until they had all agreed and started spitballing ideas.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They were just at the ideas stage though, right? There was nothing definite about any of the game design, story, game engine etc.?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom