Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 Combat Does Away With RPG Traditions

mondblut

Arcane
I LOL'd so hard. Itz just the thing mondblut was talking about. Love your brave new world, storyfags.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
CrimHead said:
Dicksmoker said:
Mrowak said:
The combat in TWitcher 2 isn't shaping up nicely from what I can see. To me they should have taken old formula and improve what was strong in it eg. you could not rush mindlessly into battle [well, at least on hard] without proper preparations (elixirs), investment in right skills, reading about the monster in appropriate book. Above all, slashing around without taking notice of even the most inconspicuous foes, would mean wasting your resources unnecessarily at best, at worst quick death.

Instead of that we seem to be getting yet another arcade slasher - which, let's face it - is not going to be nearly as good as the best of them out there on consoles eg. DMC series. :Sad Face:
Yeah. I know the combat in TW1 boiled down to QTE, but at least it LOOKED like actual combat. Immersion seems to be taking a hit with this new system.

No. It didn't fucking look like real combat you ignorant, inbred, redneck fucktard subhuman piece of SHIT. Real combat is not about pirouetting around your opponent and turning your back on them every five seconds so you can do that UBER COOL leaning back thrust where the sword is over your chest and FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :x
Geralt is superhuman you dumb fucker. Those kind of moves make sense for him. But it makes sense for a retard to overlook something like that.

Phelot

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Geralt is superhuman you dumb fucker. Those kind of moves make sense for him. But it makes sense for a retard to overlook something like that.

I guess if you're impressed by that then great, but for the rest of us it was just a cheesy way of hiding poor combat.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Ancient said:
have you ppl played Arkham Asylum ?
If yes, i don't understand why you still whine.
Because some of us have experience with action games that are actually good.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Elwro said:
I really liked the alchemy system in TW 1, with the complexities you could, but did not need to, care about. It's a shame if they're "simplifying" it in some way.
I don't think it was complex, and it surely requires a lot of tweaking if not a complete remake to make it fun. You had too many ingredients most of which had the same type/sub-type and were basically identical. Ingredients were way too abundant and respawned quickly after gathering. Manually matching sub-types for additional bonuses was not fun and soon felt tedious, especially considering minor bonuses to matching them. And the main reason - most potions were useless or unnecessary even on hard difficulty.

To make alchemy work, potions should be rare, require effort to be made (and I don't mean the effort to force yourself to do tedious repetetive stuff) - and really make a difference in combat and other areas (loved wife's tears and cat).

CreamyBlood

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
Dark Messiah had much better action combat mechanics than The Witcher, but I still don't get Your point. DMoMM also wasn't an RPG, though it included some minor RPG elements.

I guess my point is that I'm an old, jaded gamer preaching to the choir. If you're going to make a video game and a good part of that is combat, then make it fun. It's really annoying that most modern games are fucking boring.

And yes, I agree that Dark Messiah isn't an RPG, but it was a fun game, for me. Maybe I'll give The Witcher another chance as it supposedly get's better in chapter two, and I can be a storyfag at times, but thinking of slogging my way through that combat really turns me off. So I doubt I'll bother.

Archibald

Arcane
Because some of us have experience with action games that are actually good.

Experienced with action games yet couldn`t understand that BAA isn`t really an action game? Interesting.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Archibald said:
Experienced with action games yet couldn`t understand that BAA isn`t really an action game? Interesting.
Oh, right, it's an action/adventure, a kind of game that can fail at both action and adventure and still be declared GotY because it's TEH EXPERIENCE, not a traditional game.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
CreamyBlood said:
Maybe I'll give The Witcher another chance as it supposedly get's better in chapter two, and I can be a storyfag at times, but thinking of slogging my way through that combat really turns me off. So I doubt I'll bother.

If You didn't like the first chapter, You probably won't like the others. Gameplay doesn't change one bit (except for the longer combo sequences in combat) and story wise The Witcher isn't some kind of achievement compared to other RPGs - although CDPR like to think otherwise.

Archibald

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Archibald said:
Oh, right, it's an action/adventure, a kind of game that can fail at both action and adventure and still be declared GotY because it's TEH EXPERIENCE, not a traditional game.

It was obvious attempt to do "western Castlevania" and i think it did okish with that.

Crolug

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Witcher 1: RPG redefined, it will be liek teh most hardcore RPG you can think of. Liek, 15 out 10 hardcore points. At least.

Witcher 2: Fuck RPGs! Button mashing FTW.

Hey, since them saying "RPG redefined" turned out to be a crap, maybe them saying "fuck RPGs" will actually turn out to be something playable and enjoyable? ;)

KalosKagathos

Learned
Archibald said:
It was obvious attempt to do "western Castlevania" and i think it did okish with that.
"Okish" is being generous. Even easier Castlevanias have at least several challenging bosses that require you to have a clue about platforming to beat them (Balore and Julius in Aria of Sorrow, for example). AA, meanwhile, is way too easy even on Hard. Exploration in Batman is also lacking. There are Riddler's challenges, I guess, but there is no real point to them beyond achievement whoring.

KalosKagathos

Learned
I don't hate it. It's a thoroughly forgettable game in every way. I hate idiots who think it's worth copying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom