Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 Combat Does Away With RPG Traditions

Lomm Cuz

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Expecting two different systems, one with button mashing, the other loaded with tactical goodness and complexity is silly.
Really, in an action RPG? Expecting tactical goodness and extreme complexity in ARPG, that's silly in my opinion.
Some more quotes:"In Witcher 1 you had a lot of things to invest into. You could invest into atttributes, abilities, passive development, magic signs. Here you’ll have a three-way split instead; three roads of development – Witcher Mage, Witcher Alchemist and Witcher Master Swordsman. You can mix the three, but first and foremost, it’s a much simpler system."
First Witcher isn't complex, it's only messy. If they can solve the problems with the stupid design of the bronze, silver and gold medals of equal value, well, it will be great.
"It was important for us to rethink and redesign the presentational aspect of sex, nudity and romance in The Witcher 2. You could expect that this time sex means actually two people getting close to each other.".
Well, all that love (not sex) thing in videogames is hilarious, but fuck, if I must go with it I would prefer to not see scenes ripped of the romance novel.
Other than that, some details seen at the previews are scary.
Mrowak said:
The combat in TWitcher 2 isn't shaping up nicely from what I can see. To me they should have taken old formula and improve what was strong in it eg. you could not rush mindlessly into battle [well, at least on hard] without proper preparations (elixirs), investment in right skills, reading about the monster in appropriate book. Above all, slashing around without taking notice of even the most inconspicuous foes, would mean wasting your resources unnecessarily at best, at worst quick death.

I don't see why all those cannot fit with an action approaching combat. Gothic is an ARPG and you can't rush on shit like the fucking DMC.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I really liked the alchemy system in TW 1, with the complexities you could, but did not need to, care about. It's a shame if they're "simplifying" it in some way.

There's one quote, the following:
In The Witcher 2, there is a lot of complexity, at least as much as in The Witcher, but you don’t have to do it immediately.
which does not really make much sense to me (how can one do complexity? And do it immediately?), but which can be read in a positive way if one's so inclined. I'd interpret the whole thing as "The lowest difficulty level is for retards now", but some other quotes unfortunately sound disturbing.

hiver

Vault Dweller said:
PS. A certain prestigious magazine should interview these guys and ask them deep questions like "Are you guys out of your fucking minds or what??"

:x

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It should be a Pollack as well, so not to hide behind the language barrier.

Well, all that love (not sex) thing in videogames is hilarious, but fuck, if I must go with it I would prefer to not see scenes ripped of the romance novel.

Yeah, T&A in a cheesy, light-hearted manner is always a nice interlude. If I want to read Anne Rice, then I'll read Anne Rice or play DAO. Hopefully they haven't gone full Bioware in this, I can only imagine Barry White singing in the background while we have tastefully badly animated sex scene in shitty 3d CGI, after 15 minutes of grueling bodice-ripper "romance"

MetalCraze

Arcane
chzr said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Some players are mainly about story, some RPG players, and there is a huge niche of these guys, and they said “Don’t burden me with this! There are complex controls and time-based clicking sequences and everything, and I don’t want to do this!”

how about playing adventure games, or read a book?

Considering that 80% of a gametime in TW was taken by an awful QTE combat...

KalosKagathos said:
Goddammit, why? Why can't you rip off a good action game for a change? Why are both Bio and CDPR convinced that Koei games are worth imitating? Why are we getting Rzeczpospolita Muso instead of Witcher May Cry or Witcher Gaiden? :x

I'm playing DMC4 right now and the combat is great - too bad there is so much random jap faggotry and the Dante part is all backtracking. But that combat is impossible to do with the Master Race's keyboard and mouse oh snap. Still if they are making TW2 a multiplatform slasher they should've went for a good combo-combat instead of mash one button and win anyway.

Baron

Arcane
"The process of brewing potions, an essential part of any high-level monster hunting, is also being simplified for those who just want to get on with the action."
God, even us sycophantic Witcher stooges are wavering in the ranks. How does this make sense when they're developing a class called 'Witcher Alchemist'? Let 'Witcher Beserker' or 'Witcher Dwarf' toss away his alembic and run at someone with a sword, but don't invalidate the entire Alchemist class for who may enjoy the complexity.

To their credit they are adding complexity in other areas, like adding a Stealth component for the more prepared and resourceful player. I won't break and run until they announce that they won't release a toolset. At that point it's mutiny and cannibalism.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:
I'm playing DMC4 right now and the combat is great - too bad there is so much random jap faggotry and the Dante part is all backtracking. But that combat is impossible to do with the Master Race's keyboard and mouse oh snap. Still if they are making TW2 a multiplatform slasher they should've went for a good combo-combat instead of mash one button and win anyway.

Funnily enough, DMC on the PC probably requires more button combinations than most other PC games outside of simulations. Pity that nowadays popular combat seems to be of the "dial-a-combo" variety rather than allowing you to mix, match and string together your attacks on the fly.

If Twitcher 2 actually adopted a DMC style of combat rather than just inspiring Dragon Age 2's Dynasty Warriors style, that'd be great. But I doubt it.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I played through the tutorial on The Witcher and was thinking it would be okay. Then I hit the first chapter, saw drinking games and punch out games and notes on a board.

I started the first chapter and attacked many glowing dogs. It was boring. Really boring. People call it 'Simon Says' battle, but 'Simon Says' as a game, is more fun, complex and challenging.

I made it to the point where I talked to a dwarf guy. Had no idea what he was going on about and quit.

I've heard the game gets better in the second chapter but quite frankly, I didn't get that far and don't care.

I'm not sure how they could make the combat 'simpler'. Diablo simple? From the looks of it the 'skill tree' was on par with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

I really enjoyed that game (just finished it), the combat was 'visceral' and challenging (I played it on hard). It also had an RPG-like system tacked onto it that was mostly pointless but as a First Person Slasher at least they made the game and combat fun!

I'm not sure why Bioshock just didn't go the FPS route with a backstory. It's the same thing, it failed as an action FPS and failed as an RPG. We know that other games can balance this and be fun, but why is it that when I'm old and we have all of this technology and the year is 2010 that game developers spend millions of dollars on shit, boring games?

Anyways. I got a fuck card or two in the first witcher. I'm sure the next will be more 'meaningful'. Simpler combat? How? I don't get it. I really don't understand why developers have to suck all of the challenge and fun factor out of their games, it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think TechnoViking made a great analogy between Quakeworld and COD4. Things seem to have fallen apart across all genres, not just RPG's.

Everytime I see any publisher logo nowadays, I always think, 'Games made by Retards, for Retards.'

Fuck.

Twinkle

Liturgist
If Twitcher 2 actually adopted a DMC style of combat rather than just inspiring Dragon Age 2's Dynasty Warriors style, that'd be great. But I doubt it.

There is no need to go in the opposite extreme. Rip off Jedi Knight and be done with it.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
CreamyBlood said:
I'm not sure why Bioshock just didn't go the FPS route with a backstory. It's the same thing, it failed as an action FPS and failed as an RPG.

Bioshock didn't even pretend to be a RPG. No stats, no inventory, no experience system at all. Don't you need, like, RPG elements in a game to be considered part of the genre?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Twinkle said:

There is no need to go in the opposite extreme. Rip off Jedi Knight and be done with it.

That's a good idea too. Jedi Knight games had comfortable controls for keyboard+mouse and quite nice looking moves too.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Mrowak said:
The combat in TWitcher 2 isn't shaping up nicely from what I can see. To me they should have taken old formula and improve what was strong in it eg. you could not rush mindlessly into battle [well, at least on hard] without proper preparations (elixirs), investment in right skills, reading about the monster in appropriate book. Above all, slashing around without taking notice of even the most inconspicuous foes, would mean wasting your resources unnecessarily at best, at worst quick death.

Instead of that we seem to be getting yet another arcade slasher - which, let's face it - is not going to be nearly as good as the best of them out there on consoles eg. DMC series. :Sad Face:
Yeah. I know the combat in TW1 boiled down to QTE, but at least it LOOKED like actual combat. Immersion seems to be taking a hit with this new system.

Ancient

Erudite
have you ppl played Arkham Asylum ?
If yes, i don't understand why you still whine.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No matter how much you claim it to be, Arkham Asylum is not an RPG, man.

Ancient

Erudite
treave said:
No matter how much you claim it to be, Arkham Asylum is not an RPG, man.

Im not claiming it to be RPG , Witchers 2 combat is kind a similar to Arkham's Asylum

CreamyBlood

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
CreamyBlood said:
I'm not sure why Bioshock just didn't go the FPS route with a backstory. It's the same thing, it failed as an action FPS and failed as an RPG.

Bioshock didn't even pretend to be a RPG. No stats, no inventory, no experience system at all. Don't you need, like, RPG elements in a game to be considered part of the genre?

Of course you're right, it was a 'spiritual succesor' to a game that did have some of those elements. It still missed the mark, in my opinion. The point is that some games are able to still mix elements of different genres and be a hell of a lot of fun, where others completely lose the point of it.

Take Divine Divinity, the first one. At first, and throughout the game it was a Diablo click fest (I've tried getting into Diablo over the years, three times now yet always get bored after the Butcher). But. It was fun and had a lot of dialogue, non-generic quests and overall good times. It melded two different game concepts and was good at it. What year was that?

I haven't played F3, ME1 or ME2 or DA. Don't plan to. I read hard sci-fi. Most hard sci-fi writers suck at love stories. I imagine modern day so called RPG writers do as well.

Anyways, I'm a gamer, I like good, fun games with a challenge that don't make you quit in boredom. FPS, RPG, adventure, a good mix, I don't care. Something that sucks you in and keeps you up all night, like reading 'just one more chapter' in a good book. Unfortunately, I am very disapoint with video games lately. Meaning the last five years.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:
So you win battles in Arkham Asylum by twitching a single button? Always knew that game was shit

Two, actually. One to attack and one to counter. :smug:

But in all fairness melee combat is different from stalking and taking out enemies with guns.

edit: And on topic, the Arkham Asylum system would feel right if you were a near invincible superhero, but I thought Geralt wasn't one.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
treave said:
And on topic, the Arkham Asylum system would feel right if you were a near invincible superhero, but I thought Geralt wasn't one.

Actually, Geralt (the one from the books, at least) would've kicked Batman's... Wait. I am being baited here, am I not?

Twinkle

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
Twinkle said:

That's a good idea too. Jedi Knight games had comfortable controls for keyboard+mouse and quite nice looking moves too.

I'm surprised that they didn't, instead opting for shitty simonsays.

In both games:

- You play as agile, fast, melee-focused warrior.

- You can pick fighting styles.

- You have access to "force" powers.

- Fun part: some JK games had C&C.

JK's system is "streamlined" enough for ARPG-ish number-crunching and easy to control. For something like tWitcher it would be a major boon, IMO.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
MicoSelva said:
CreamyBlood said:

Exactly. Bioshock was just an FPS with a backstory.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BROS NEW TW COMBAT IS GOING TO BE HARDCORE AS OBLIVION, LET US DRINK FROM THE CHALICE OF POTATO

CrimHead

Scholar
Dicksmoker said:
Mrowak said:

Instead of that we seem to be getting yet another arcade slasher - which, let's face it - is not going to be nearly as good as the best of them out there on consoles eg. DMC series. :Sad Face:
Yeah. I know the combat in TW1 boiled down to QTE, but at least it LOOKED like actual combat. Immersion seems to be taking a hit with this new system.

No. It didn't fucking look like real combat you ignorant, inbred, redneck fucktard subhuman piece of SHIT. Real combat is not about pirouetting around your opponent and turning your back on them every five seconds so you can do that UBER COOL leaning back thrust where the sword is over your chest and FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :x

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Metro said:
MicoSelva said:
CreamyBlood said:

Exactly. Bioshock was just an FPS with a backstory.

It still failed at being an FPS, or having fun gameplay, or just being fun. Perhaps that was a bad example if you don't get my point. Dark Messiah had fun, 'visceral' combat.

Edit: The Witcher had boring, stupid, 'shit' combat. Compare the RPG elements and tell me which one had more 'exciting' fighting mechanics.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Dark Messiah had much better action combat mechanics than The Witcher, but I still don't get Your point. DMoMM also wasn't an RPG, though it included some minor RPG elements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom