Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 info

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
So I just finished watching (sup, Phelot :smug:) CDP's online conference about TW2. Lotsa various info, let's start with the retail stuff:

3 editions: 'premium', 'collector's', 'EXCLUSIVE COLLECTOR'S FOR POTATOLAND'.

Premium edition is the basic one. Costs 50$, 45$ in pre-order. It features the game + some stuff like soundtracks, papercraft and some other less 'big' stuff from the CE. The papercraft and other stuff will be also available to print out if you buy it via digital distribution. In Potatoland, it will cost 120 pln, or 100 if bought in gram.pl's store.

Then there's the CE which we already had a thread about. 130$.

And last, there's the EXCLUSIVE CE FOR POTATOLAND. It'll be available on gram.pl for 230 pln (which is less than half the price of the international CE). There are only 9999 of these, and the first 1000 ones will be shipped 'numbered', so you can grow your e-peen. It will also be shipped a few days (3-4) before the official release date of the premium edition.

The guy who was doing the presentation said that TW2 will be available from various sources, and while he can't promise it'll be DRM-free everywhere, there'll be one place for sure where it will be. And that will be GoG. It will also have some stuff not available in other services:

You can preorder it now, but pay at the release date. If you preorder it now, you will already get some stuff like avatars, wallpapers, behind the scenes stuff and some soundtracks which were cut from the actual game. When the game gets available, you will also get the CE's artbook, one of 5 classic RPGs to choose (RoA 1/2 pack, RoA 3, Gothic, Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity) and, depending from where you order, a 'credit'. It will cost 50$ (45 in preorder) for the Kwa and 50 ebros (45 in preorder) for Europe. Ebros are worth more, so to 'even out the difference', if you buy it at GoG with ebros, you'll get a 16$ store credit to blow on any games you want.

After all this useless info, they showed the prison break sequence again. There will be fist fighting in order to COMPLETELY AVOID KILLING IN THE WITCHER!!! (well no, not completely, but you get the drift).

Again, they showed 'two ways' of getting through the dungeon (stealth with non-lethal KO'ing of guards, which is supposed to 'yield more experience', and a guns blazing approach). They're still working on game balance, so guards dying in one hit is an effect of the 'developer sword'. Walking through puddles makes a lot of noise which attracts guards. The 'stealth' way looks a lot like Witcher Protocol. Hide -> stealthy KO -> go on.

Combat looks like it will feature a lot of rolling back and to the sides, blocking and riposting and shit, blocking is active instead of % based, but 'everything is really skillbased' (yeah, right)

'NPCs are much more powerful than in TW1, so you have to choose allies and enemies very carefully".

'TW2 is not only about story, but also about those epic, huge battles'. After that, they showed that second scene they've showed before, that is, the 'ghostly battlefield' with a superdemon made of scrapmetal that changes into a tornado and throws more scrapmetal and feuerballs at you.

Generally, they didn't show absolutely any new gameplay stuff.

And that's all. They sure put a lot of effort into getting this thing onto the market.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well I hope the $130 CE I just pre-ordered on amazon.com is DRM free, otherwise that is pretty shitty.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am torn on this. I bought TW1 on impulse while shopping but wasnt THAT satisfied with the game. On the other hand as a patriot perhaps I should support local developers, even more when they have ambitions concerning their games...

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Definitely not buying the CE, though. When compared to the 'standard' edition, it doesn't really strike me as that very rich. The standard one already is pretty phat: 'behind the scenes' stuff, soundtrack, map, guide, manual, a coin, 'Dandelion's Pamphlet' (whatever the fuck that is), papercraft and some useless DLC.

Other stuff the CE provides? Geralt's bust (lol), artbook (meh), dice (first I hoped they'd be like that cool TW1 set, but they're just dice in a pouch, meh), deck of cards (meh), 'how to play cards and dice' (lol), stickers (meh), another coin, some big paper figurine and more useless DLC. Who the fuck needs all this stuff? I just want my map and soundtrack.

Bahamut

Arcane
They should iclude a rubber Yennefer sexdol into CE for full Witcher experience

MapMan

Arcane
Elwro said:
why is the basic edition called the premium edition

Because for the price that normally gets you a game disc in DVD box you get a lot of stuff that could basically make up for a not so bad CE.

Murk

Arcane
Free game and bonus bucks on GOG is a nice call, especialy to even out the Euro/Dollar difference.

Probably pre-order the premium to save 5 bucks. Sounds like a pretty good deal over-all.

Roxor, did the gameplay they show how interactive it actually was? That is, was the combat more like Risen or more like The Witcher?

Ancient

Erudite
Mikayel said:
Roxor, did the gameplay they show how interactive it actually was? That is, was the combat more like Risen or more like The Witcher?

just watch yourself on youtube they showed same shit like 5 times now

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
MapMan said:
Because for the price that normally gets you a game disc in DVD box you get a lot of stuff that could basically make up for a not so bad CE.
Meh, a few years ago such things were standard in CDP releases. We always got better "regular" releases than what I saw abroad. I guess they got me spoiled...

Murk

Arcane
Ancient said:
Mikayel said:

Already seen it the prison break parts, but I could never see the person controlling the game so I don't know if combat is actually full on Action or a slightly more elaborate QTE.

Ancient

Erudite
Mikayel said:
Ancient said:
Mikayel said:

Already seen it the prison break parts, but I could never see the person controlling the game so I don't know if combat is actually full on Action or a slightly more elaborate QTE.

they didn't show that , but they clearly stated before that it's similar to Batman Arkham Asylum

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Darth Roxor said:

I wonder if it will be for sale for virtual CDProjekt money I have a fuckload of, like other GoG games are.

Probably not, or the price will be insane, like 3000 wPLN instead of normal 300.

Murk

Arcane
Ancient said:
they didn't show that , but they clearly stated before that it's similar to Batman Arkham Asylum

This is what kind of irks me, they never gave a concrete explanation. Oh well, even if its a super simple "mash to hit" schema at least it'll beat the QTE breakdancing bullshit of the first one.

Murk

Arcane
Sooo that special potato-version is only shippable to polish addresses or something? cuz... 82 US dollars isn't that bad a deal for all that stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom