Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE WITCHER 2 is upon us!

Hopefully i can turn them off as to not get confused by too many options.

Black

Arcane
Mrowak said:
Captain Shrek said:
made said:
Now they have screenies of the (consolized) inventory and skill trees. Supposedly you can't master all the trees and have to focus on one or two. An example of the dialogue skills:

z9396391O.jpg

Hmph.

Not mastering all is a good thing in my book, but is the inventory consolized?

Wait, what?! Intimidation as a skill? Does it mean that this time there will be a selection of non-combat skills available to the player?

Not for DA2 fans.

B2nBR.jpg

Also, how is the inventory "consolised"? Not saying it's not, but I don't get why you're saying it is.

Exmit

Scholar
Kodex, kodex never changes. When a new 'rpg' is announced the first thing they talk about are bad textures :lol:

bonescraper

Black said:
Also, how is the inventory "consolised"? Not saying it's not, but I don't get why you're saying it is.
Well i dunno, maybe it's 'cause you can't simply DRAG AND DROP and instead you're FORCED TO SCROLL THROUGH endless lists of all your junk? At least there are more filters than in FO3, but it still sucks D:

Captain Shrek

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/8/9396/z9396318O.jpg

Its consolised in the sense that there is no inventory space. There is a weight you can carry and a 'streamlined' list of headers.

Why do dev's think that we can't distinguish stuff by reading the right clicked description? Or is it to just appease the console gamer who can't use a controller as effectively as a mouse?

But on a second thought, its not so bad. It could have been like DE:IW for all we know. I am thankful for the scraps they throw us these days.

Dantus12

Educated
I really understand the desire for grid based inventory's.
Times have changed however from the hardware aspect.

A 17'inch monitor used to be a top peace of hardware, now the resolutions on PC are getting higher and higher, with many PC gamers gaming with their PC and a 42' TV.

This is not some kind of defense,but how would a grid have to be for a game like FONV, where I seriously wasn't able to count just the armor sets in the game.

Another example:
The great Ego Draconis, the non-striped down version of the Dragon Knight Saga, and I wasn't able to properly see the items on a 1980X1080 resolution.
No, I don't need glasses.

The game will be probably ported to consoles, unless they plan to sell their asses to EA, but the technical aspects of gaming changed.

There are people with motion sickness on lower resolutions for example.
There is the issue of not readable fonts also.
This is subjective however, some will claim that the radial wheel is a console feature.
The first game had 3 full armor sets, this one has 30+craftable in peaces.
There is a set of 500 weapons, some of them are throwing weapons.
The unlimited alchemy system.
I don't see all this accomplished on a grid, where the game is evolving around graphics , what means upper class PC 's and high resolutions.

---------------------

Tigranes

Arcane
Fucking decline.

1) TW2 Graphics have been something to be excited about because it actually has a semblance of art direction, not because it has super textures and AA. Random Polish Previewer changes this not.

2) Inventory looks pretty much exactly the same as before, except the grid has become a list. Remember TW1 inventory? Clearly not.

The only consolisation / lack of usability issue possible here is that the scrolling will be clunky and it'll be annoying to go through the list. At least they already have the ability to sort / show parts in that SS - all they need now is fast scrolling tied to the mouse wheel, and you're fine. It's actually BETTER than the old grid.

Seriously, what was so good about the grid? Because some older games had it? Bullshit, thats no reason for it to be 'venerable old school'. Because it's better for PC users? Trying to sort that grid so all similar items were together was a pointless waste of time. The only advantage a grid has is that you can see the entire inventory quickly.

In fact, the only thing they'd need to do here to make it a better inventory in every way is to make the bloody list screen twice as large. I don't know why anyone does this, in fact, do developers like working with tools where you can only see 5 things without scrolling?

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
I don't get it. What the resolution, high or otherwise, have to do with the inventory? The high resolution do not mean that the things have to be small, you know. (not that I got any issues with this inventory in the first place).
Graphicwise though, well, I have seen that screenshots in the other thread, yesterday. If not that, I'd be more impressed.
Anyway, it is definite buy, unless they'll saddle physical copy with something like the steam.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tigranes said:
Trying to sort that grid so all similar items were together was a pointless waste of time.
The enhanced edition added an autosort button, it took no time at all. And it's easier to read icons at a glance than text descriptions. I also dig that ESC EXIT in the corner there. :D Just in case you forgot how to exit the inventory.

Twinkle

Liturgist
I can't believe people are defending this piece of shit interface.

You see, when it can't even show a proper item description ("rusty well-balanced dagg...", my ass) something is very, very wrong.

Even the codex favorite RPG of March manages to display 11 items per list at 800x600, ffs. :lol:

bonescraper

Roguey said:
I also dig that ESC EXIT in the corner there. :D Just in case you forgot how to exit the inventory.
It's there because it changes to B when you plug your trusty Mircosoft® Xbox™ 360® Controller™ for Windows® in. Mouse and keyboard is so last-gen bro.

a budda

Arbiter
yeah, art direction is one thing, shitty textures another
and of couse we care because we'll have to wait for release for other info, you don't expect some idiots in the press to properly describe the game
all we get is gfx
or we don't, as the asshole can't fucking install a game properly and plays on laptop and gives shit if you ask him to post screenshots in max settings

and another thing is the inventory but we knew that already
can't grasp how anyone can say it's okay, it's not ffs, i'm so pissed at new vegas stuff and at least there i can larp pipboy, here it's shit, yes, it's not much different from w1 but it's more than enough
there you had artfully created skill-trees and proper-rpg grid, and how i hate looking into my bag to notice 5 lines of text - isn't it exactly the opposite of what consoles were about (teh hard redding?)
and it looks as bland as possible, you can say meh, and fine, but if they're trying to make it perfect why this fuckup?
doesn't help immersion if in my medieval setting i open inventory and it looks late 20th century...
amd actually oftentimes fucked up menus or inventory is what kills the last specks of pleasure in a game, beats me...
now it reminded me ass creed 1 i' trying atm, do you know you need to click 11 times to exit?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Gordon Freeman said:
Anyway, it is definite buy, unless they'll saddle physical copy with something like the steam.

Considering they are in bed with GOG and that version will not have any sort of DRM, I wouldn't be too afraid of such moves. In fact, IIRC, the physical copy has a one-time online activation thing and that's it.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Trash said:
A new AA release rpg is shown with information on character progression and other gameplay elements and you retards start about the graphics? FFS. :decline:

This. I'm a lot more interested in gameplay improvements than what the inventory screen looks like, or how much bloom there is or is not. As long as the inventory is usable, and the graphics are intelligible, who gives a fuck?

LordDenton

Augur
GarfunkeL said:
In fact, IIRC, the physical copy has a one-time online activation thing and that's it.
Well fuck. I guess it's a no buy then. The only thing I find acceptable is a regular DVD disc check. Any online activation scheme means you don't get to own your copy of the game.

made

Arcane
Dantus12 said:
I don't see all this accomplished on a grid, where the game is evolving around graphics , what means upper class PC 's and high resolutions.
Grid doesn't mean it has to look exactly like, say, Arcanum (which had a horrible UI itself). Again I must point out WoW which has the the most flexible and customizable UI I have ever seen thanks to its LUA architecture and the plethora of mods people have come up with over time. Inventory mods in particular let you sort equipment in groups, stack items of the same type, change icon size manually or automatically, fit the layout to the available screen real estate, expand/shrink elements automatically, hide/show elements based on customizable conditions... there is nothing you can't do.

Here's an example:
4Z2jv.jpg

I am saddened that a 7 year old MMO should remain the pinnacle of UI design and we'll have to put up with horribly thought-out text lists and endless scrolling forevermore because that's how it works best on consoles and customers apparently don't give a fuck because they don't know better.

meh

Educated
taplonaplo said:
Maybe this shit won't create over 10GBs of savefiles. At least Bioware can into saving game properly. What the fuck is it with 28mb save files, my whole DA2 playthru saves took less space.

That's because it actually remembers what choices did you make, unlike DA2 which only saves your current location and position on a linear plot line. :smug:

made

Arcane
The huge save files were a relic of the Aurora engine. They patched that later.

Data4

Arcane
LordDenton said:
GarfunkeL said:
In fact, IIRC, the physical copy has a one-time online activation thing and that's it.
Well fuck. I guess it's a no buy then. The only thing I find acceptable is a regular DVD disc check. Any online activation scheme means you don't get to own your copy of the game.

So, you gonna do that on principle? Because GOG will have a completely DRM-free version. Hey, your choice whether to buy or not. Seems like buying the GOG version over any other would send just as clear a message as not buying/pirating, if not more.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well the inventory from TW2 seems to have more filters. I regret the somewhat small list area but that may be ok if the different types are correctly filtered, and it may also change for the final build. TW1's inventory was mainly based around the concept of the big pile o' stuff.

Quilty

Magister
bonescraper said:
Black said:
Well i dunno, maybe it's 'cause you can't simply DRAG AND DROP and instead you're FORCED TO SCROLL THROUGH endless lists of all your junk?

So it's exactly like Fallout 1? :M

But really, this feels like a pretty hefty amount of incline.

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
GarfunkeL said:
Yes, I have read about it too. But it is remarkedly unspecific and do not excludes the steam.
You know, like all this steam's fanboi harping on "you have to avctivate it just once, then you can go into offline mode blah, blah, blah"
I may be oversensitive, as a matter of fact I probably am, with steam spreading like a cancer and game companies lying up and down, but this online activation thingy sounded suspicious to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom