Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE WITCHER 2 is upon us!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ofcourse. Skyway never uses hyperbole and everyone should take his rants at face value.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Black_Willow said:
MetalCraze said:
So suddenly health regen is a sophisticated game element and not dumbing down :lol:
Oh, but what is? "Use 10 stimpacks in one turn to instantly regen your health"?

No, it's going up to your medic and letting him cure you of several AK-47 rounds to the head by waving his arms somewhere in front of him and probably recanting a prayer to Illander.

made

Arcane
Yea but skyway knows gaming. Trash otoh is notorious for enjoying shit games.

I dunno, bros, I remain unconvinced. Bring on the next round.

spekkio

Arcane
made said:
At last, a review that does the game justice: Games Radar rates it 10/10, saying it's just as good as Mass Effect 2. Could there be any higher praise?
http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/the-witche ... 436086/p-3
Thanks for this, really nice review.

Codexfags said:
:salute:

MicoSelva said:
@Skyway: Two things:
1. You arguments would have more convincing strength if I haven't played the game enough to know they're not true. I can only guess if You're so self-deluded as to believe what You write, or are just trolling.
2. Picking sentences out of context while ignoring those You don't have an answer for may be a very effective way to gain an upper hand in a discussion for You, but from my point of view makes continuing it pointless. Have a good day.

aHGfZ.jpg

Summing up: Twitcher 2 premiere goes p. well on 'Dex I have to say... :obviously:

:bravo:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MetalCraze said:
I haven't played it for like 7 years.
Wow, really? I thought you had played it once or twice a year for five years or so to make it to that number, playing it seven times within one is... something else.
And since when did it become cool to bash KotOR on the Codex?
On one hand you have this oddly overall-positive review from Saint_P himself, on the other hand you have all these snarky, bitter newsposts (from guess who).
You haven't played PS:T do you? Many RPGs have health regen but when not in combat - that's a 1.
2 - in TW2 it regens half of a health bar in just 10 seconds, not 1 HP per several seconds like in IE games.
TNO's health also regenerates during combat. Also, if you pump your con into the 20s through items and/or level-ups you'll get that +1HP several times a second. I'm just correcting for the sake of it, I don't really care to argue for or against any side at the moment. Now put those Bioware Warsaw fanboys in their place.

serch

Magister
MetalCraze said:
Suddenly health regen becomes an acceptable gameplay element just as soon as your favourite game starts to have it

No, it's acceptable because Geralt is a fucking monster mutant that should have health regen. It's like you were whining about space marines being overpowered, or about Godzilla punching down buildings. Health regen is bad when it leads to easy gameplay that for me, playing at hard, is not the case, or when it is an inconsistency with what we know about the gameworld. My main reservation at the moment is the insta-death effects at the prologue, entirely dependant on player ability and previous knowledge of what is going to happen. That belongs to platform games and not to tactical RPGs, even worse if you get into the game an insanity level in which you can lose your saves of 20 hours for an inopportune sneeze.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
made said:
Yea but skyway knows gaming. Trash otoh is notorious for enjoying shit games.

I dunno, bros, I remain unconvinced. Bring on the next round.

I kinda agree. I wouldn't say Skyway knows gaming, he is a moron, but some of his more coherent arguments remain completly unchallenged in this thread, except for ad hominem attacks.
And Trash indeed known to be gullible and easy to impress by shit games.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
MetalCraze said:
commie said:
What consoletard untermenschen completed TW2 here?
Have you read to what I originally replied or you saw my nickname and blindly ran to defend your Call of Duty Medieval?
Here's your reply to what I wrote earlier and the context:
commie wrote:
Just give it up Skyfag. You're the last person that should dare to rage about others trying too hard to be 133t. Since you haven't even played TW2 then what the fuck is your shitty opinion worth?

Just as much as that of "consoletard untermenschen" that completed it and dared to criticize?

So I was talking about TW2 and you were answering that consoletard untermenschen played it!
So I ask again: What consoletard untermenschen completed TW2 here?

You wrote FO3 , NOT FO:NV. People here don't give a fuck about FO3, but as a RPG FONV is superior to KOTOR and this is coming from someone that actually enjoyed KOTOR and I don't needt qualify it with the 'good for what it is' bit either.
Ah this sweet retarded fanboyism. What the fuck is different between FO3 and FO3NV? What? What makes it a better RPG and different from FO3? A default yellow interface instead of green?

What are you fucking retarded? It's established by the majority here that quests, C&C, writing, exploration are superior by miles to FO3, so what the fuck are you trying to be snarky about?

The difference is that one game is made with the lack of helpers in mind (hence the uber detailed topographic map) and the other one with. Although I don't understand why do you need them in CoD Medieval which is a corridor game where you are being told what to do every 5 seconds.

Told what to do every 5 seconds? You mean like in that game of yours: "All...move to tree...12 o'clock", "All...board vehicle...9 o'clock", "get in", "4...target...machine gunner...6 o'clock". Pot meet kettle.

As I've said in another thread the controller isn't the problem.

The problem is that many of you morons raged about DA2 being "ololo consoletard dumbed down shit" - and then you get TW2 which drops you into corridors with cutscenes every 5 seconds, the (A)wesome button which does every single thing in the game from climbing to fighting, the fucking health regen during combat, the extremely retarded AI where dudes chase you for 20m and then turn around and start walking away exposing their backs to you all while other enemies a bit far just stand and watch until you come to them. It even has less dialogues than Mass Defect. It even goes "ololo look a Dragon!!" on you in the first half of an hour of a game. You can't even jump where you should be able to jump - I take it the "technology still didn't reach the level where free jump-downs are possible"?

And yet you bitch and moan about DA2 but TW2 is an awesome game because Bioware is more popular than CDP and CDP is totally underground and counter-culture.

Bullshit, you were whining abut the controller period. Now that I've made light of the fact that Arma 2 supports the XBAWKS controller, you're flip-flopping again. Regardless, you're missing the point. The 'dumbed down' of DA2 was in relation to DA:O primarily. Sure there was the usual hyperbole, but it was correct. DA2 compared t DA:O was far more dumbed down, while Twitcher 2 is a massive incline on the first Twitcher. Combat has been improved as has all the other stuff. So what the fuck, everyone is meant to group everything in the one fucking basket? You judge things based on others similar. It would be like me saying Arma 2 is shit because it doesn't have as many explosions as CoD. Shit argument right? Well that's EXACTLY the way you argue regarding TWitcher 2, comparing it to games it was NEVER competing with in the first fucking place! There are different types of RPG's,(TB, RTWP, crawlers, ARPG's, sandbox etc.) and TWitcher 2 as an ARPG stands extremely high. It destroys DA2 totally in every conceivable way. It's not Fallout or PS:T, but then it was never going to be and what, you thought it would be a TB dungeon crawler to get all rage filled that it's 'declining' gaming? Fuck you with such a retarded belief!

Oh, and you shouldn't talk about awesome button which does every single thing in the game as Arma 2 has one as well. Try standing next to a ladder and you get a icon telling you that you can climb, go next to an ammo box and you'll get an awesum icon telling you, you have a magical supply of loot from a Tardis style box. Try going next to a vehicle and you get a handy icon of a wheel to get in the driver's chair and with the press of an awesome button when you see any of these icons, you can do anything from fly a helicopter to get medical aid. Oh and you have no jump command in Arma 2 either so you can't jump wherever you want. Luckily the devs made the terrain friendly enough so you'd never need a jump button. So piss off with your fatuous complaints because they make you look like a damn fool.

AS for the oh lool a dragon bit and the rest, it's not even worth commenting on but I'll just say that KOTOR had a space battle at the start. What relevance this has to the quality of the game? None of course, just like your 'dragon bit' has no relevance to the merits of TW2.

The emperorSkyway really has no clothes and no fucking sensible arguments.

Try playing it with an XBOX controller and make a video. I want to see.
Of course if you won't run out of buttons before actually starting to play it.

[Skyway logic mode on]So what? You CAN play it with a controller and that makes it a consoletard game![Skyway logic mode off] Whether you can use all the buttons or not is not relevant. See how easy it is to argue like you?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Mrowak said:
DraQ said:
Mrowak said:
the game is initially very impressive, amazing, astounding and FANTABULOUS, but even guys from sell out CD-Action complained about the ending...
Then again, guys from sellout CDA also complained about Divinity 2 and gave it 3/10.

Ahh, yes, but you see... TWitcher 2, unlike Divinity 2, is completely mainstream, high-profile game at least in Poland so intensive cocksucking is nothing out of ordinary. Thus, If even such sluts find the ending to be incomplete and cliffhangery there must be something on the matter.

If it was only them whining about it I wouldn't take heed. Alas...

But which ending sucked? All of them? Did they have time to play the game through several times to get all the permutations?

MEH. I'f it's to set up an expansion then I don't mind. It can be like Divinity 2 for all I care so long as they give me more Witchery goodness in 6-9 months time in a full expansion.

TWITCHER 2 4EVAH! :love:

MapMan

Arcane
Trash said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
made said:
Trash otoh is notorious for enjoying shit games.
Trash indeed known to be gullible and easy to impress by shit games.

Such as?

The witcher 2 :smug:

Okay, in all seriousness. This game on Hard is really hard :P For typical mainstream moron it might be a deal breaker :roll: I'm very early on but the game is really good so far.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Two games? That's the list that makes me notorious? One that is deemed to be pretty decent by a mayority here and one from a dev known at the time to release shitty versions only to patch them up immensely later. How damning. Oh well, carry on.

Monocause

Arcane
Trash is actually one of the Codexers who are able to, you know, enjoy modern video games - which is why his impressions have some merit as opposed to "dumbed down shit crap" posts that form about 50% of this board regardless of the modern game that's discussed.

The stupid amounts of negativity here is why I'm semi-retired now. A fun fact - you can spoil literally everything if you fixate on its negative aspects or hold it to unrealistic standards.

There's currently two kinds of Codexers. One of them - this includes Trash and myself - tends to overlook the flaws to enjoy the good things about modern games. The second one does exactly the opposite and gets high on frustration because something's fucked up, which makes me wonder how did they actually manage to enjoy games like Arcanum or Bloodlines back when they were released. My guess is that they used to be happier and mentally healthier individuals. Surely that's not a coincidence that these negative folks also tend to consider "being a Codexer" and "what does the Codex think" much more important than others - and that they leap to the occasion to cyberrape someone for enjoying the wrong game.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
This discussion is retarded. You are discussing the prologue (which basically is a short, largely linear intro and a tutorial to the game) as if it was the entire game. If anyone is waiting for RELIABLE opinions then I suggest waiting for opinions from people who actually played through at least the first act.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Which is considerably "slower", cheers for tearing down your own argument.

In DA:O there's no regen during combat. In DA:O regen takes about 6 seconds to restore health from nearly zero to full. Waiting three times more while avoiding being hit is no big deal

15-30 seconds to regen, that's a considerable amount of time when you've got enemies that'll half your health pool in a single hit.

A slow ticking of health promotes movement, trap placement and singling out an enemy from a group rather than standing still and mashing a hotkey for instant chug refill.

You're a typical tard on this forum that's never gotten out of the edgy newfag phase, it's all or nothing with your lousy arguments.

spekkio

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
ITT spekkio is revealed to be a Pole. :roll:
Everybody wants to be a pole when potatoes release first goot PC exclusive in like... how many years it was?

Monocause said:
There's currently two kinds of Codexers. One of them - this includes Trash and myself - tends to overlook the flaws to enjoy the good things about modern games. The second one does exactly the opposite and gets high on frustration because something's fucked up, which makes me wonder how did they actually manage to enjoy games like Arcanum or Bloodlines back when they were released. My guess is that they used to be happier and mentally healthier individuals. Surely that's not a coincidence that these negative folks also tend to consider "being a Codexer" and "what does the Codex think" much more important than others - and that they leap to the occasion to cyberrape someone for enjoying the wrong game.

:salute: I like you.

Stabwound

Arcane
Although it's obvious Skyway didn't play past the prologue...

One point I can actually agree on is that the enemy AI takes a complete shit if you run away from the area the enemies are found in. Try it: regardless of the difficulty, the enemies will do some very weird shit, and it's never a good thing. For example, sheathing their weapons and walking back to the area they were originally in while you can walk up and start whacking them. I've also seen them have a shit fit and start swinging their weapons at thin air when I was 100 feet away. Other than that, I completely disagree that the combat is too easy: for example, even some of the fights at the beginning where you have to take on multiple guards with shields etc are brutal.

You also have to admit that the game is heavily scripted in the beginning. It is quite alarming at first, and my first thought was also a comparison to Call of Duty style scripting. However, the game opens up a lot once you actually complete the prologue and begin the real game, and they really tone down the scripting. There is some minor scripting that I've seen in the first chapter, but it seems like all that "cool" stuff was put into the very beginning to draw non-RPG fans into the game, to be honest. The first town/hub is very reminiscent to the swamp town in Gothic 1 to me, in all ways including the gameplay.

The health regen is kind of annoying too, I suppose. I didn't like it in Dragon Age, either

I'm not at all a Twitcher 2 apologist, and I'm right along with the opinion that RPGs have been on a huge decline lately. I seriously think that despite its flaws, The Witcher 2 is the best RPG we've seen in a long time.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Meh, Health regen while slightly retarded is a lesser evil, but the argument against it is valid nonetheless. However, berating a game based on how many keys you can bind is pretty fucking stupid - hint, complicating simple actions just for the heck of it doesn't make a game any better, ceteris paribus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom