Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE WITCHER 2 is upon us!

Paulie

Novice
Is it really necessary to play the first Witcher game to enjoy this one? I played the first one 2 or 3 years ago but got bored in Chapter 2 with all that stupid combat system and i just can't really drag myself to play the first game completely. Don't know what to do...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Paulie said:
Is it really necessary to play the first Witcher game to enjoy this one? I played the first one 2 or 3 years ago but got bored in Chapter 2 with all that stupid combat system and i just can't really drag myself to play the first game completely. Don't know what to do...

It's not necessary, although highly recommended. Like BG2 and BG, Gothic II and Gothic etc.

MetalCraze

Arcane
MapMan said:
For typical mainstream moron it might be a deal breaker :roll: I'm very early on but the game is really good so far.

In CoDMW on hard you are being killed from 4-5 shots and it doesn't have savegames anywhere.

That shit sold really bad :roll:

Drop this crap already. Codex is as mainstream as Gamespot forums. People here play the same console games people at ESF or IGN play.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
Drop this crap already. Codex is as mainstream as Gamespot forums. People here play the same console games people at ESF or IGN play.

Yep, we have people that finished KotOR 7 times and have rated BG2 at 98%. Can't get more mainstream than that!

Oh and I see you decided to not touch my post where I ripped up your 'argument' and took a dump on your consoletard Arma2. Be a man and face up to the truth like a man! There's no shame in crying... :smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
Yep, we have people that finished KotOR 7 times and have rated BG2 at 98%. Can't get more mainstream than that!

Yes I play mainstream games. I just don't pretend that I don't.

Oh and I see you decided to not touch my post where I ripped up your 'argument' and took a dump on your consoletard Arma2.
Man you are dumb. Here's a quest compass for you: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... start=1375

Scroll a bit.

Be a man and face up to the truth like a man! There's no shame in crying... :smug:

I'm not the one that's crying.
I'm the one that's providing arguments not butthurt crap about "can't put markers on the map!!1" or " can take several headshots and medic will heal them through magical handwaving!"

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:
I'm the one that's providing arguments not butthurt crap about "can't put markers on the map!!1" or " can take several headshots and medic will heal them through magical handwaving!"
Arguing and making shit up is not the same thing. And you are doing the latter all day.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
Yes I play mainstream games. I just don't pretend that I don't.

Neither do we that like the Witcher. So what's your fucking point?

Oh and I see you decided to not touch my post where I ripped up your 'argument' and took a dump on your consoletard Arma2.
Man you are dumb. Here's a quest compass for you: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... start=1375

Scroll a bit.

Man YOU ARE DUMB. I already answered that shit of yours! It's this that you failed to reply to! Here's a QUEST COMPASS FOR YOU:

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=57903&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1425

Seems that YOU need help to find your way around the codex more than anybody. So I was right: You didn't touch that post and either were too retarded or too gripped with shame and inferiority.

I'm not the one that's crying.

You seem butthurt that I pointed out the stupid insta-heal of 'realistic' Arma. I admit it wasn't a very intellectually profound argument, but neither are any of yours and contrary to yours, this actually is still FACTUAL.

I'd insert examples of your 'arguments' that don't hold water here and are 'butthurt crap' but I'd be accused of spamming with such a never-ending amount of material.

made

Arcane
I'll just leave this here:
M2a7l.jpg

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I checked the metacritic best rated games... Witcher 2 first, Amnesia second. :smug: Trully a great day for great games. Of course it's by user score.... DAII still has 4.3 score. :smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
Neither do we that like the Witcher. So what's your fucking point?

Really? Have you read your camp's posts?

"yeaah TW2 is not like that stupid mainstream DA2!"
"A few reviewers are complaining about stuff in TW2? They are just consoletard untermenschen!"
And the constant "stupid consoletards! We are the true PC ubermenschen! Even though we love the shit out of FO3"

And of course your pretentious posts about World of Xeen like you consider it to be of some standard and know about it even though you are ready to cry a lot about how TW2 is the awesome RPG.

Seems that YOU need help to find your way around the codex more than anybody. So I was right: You didn't touch that post and either were too retarded or too gripped with shame and inferiority.
No after seeing your reply about AKs I thought you ignored it and then I didn't look at that page.
But I will reply

So I ask again: What consoletard untermenschen completed TW2 here?
Are you retarded? Read the fucking post to which I originally replied.
The fucking TW2 fanboy was bashing a reviewer for disliking something in the game reviewer actually completed by calling him a "consoletard untermensch"

What are you fucking retarded? It's established by the majority here that quests, C&C, writing, exploration are superior by miles to FO3, so what the fuck are you trying to be snarky about?
Established? Whenever I ask the majority can't explain to me why

Quests? Exploration? You are chasing the fucking quest-compass just like you did in Oblivion and FO3. I already showed in my short LP that the writing in FO3NV is about as dumb as the one in FO3 with cowbow tribals and ancient roman warriors which makes zero fucking sense. You play minigames just like in FO3 and Oblivion. And yet you fanboy zealots keep repeating "it's different! it's different!"
Why?! The gameplay is absolutely identical. The writing is juvenile. Where's that difference?
Obsidian ya

You seem butthurt that I pointed out the stupid insta-heal of 'realistic' Arma. I admit it wasn't a very intellectually profound argument, but neither are any of yours and contrary to yours, this actually is still FACTUAL.
There's no insta-heal in ArmA2. You often die from a single bullet to the body, let alone a headshot. It takes a medic from 10 seconds to 30+ to heal you up during which you actually lie on the ground while he bandages you and neither of you can attack or move. I understand that your LARP'ing nature makes you prefer to lie in hospital for a month of real-time after a wound but alas in contrast to your "RPGs" this is actually a game. Needless to say that when you lose a medic you can't be healed to full health anymore.
(BTW when applying morphine IRL it lets even wounded soldiers to keep fighting)

So what's so "factual" about your bullshit? A fact like "you can't mark the map!!1"?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Mrowak said:
PCGamer gave 89% to TWitcher 2. They are very impressed but there's one reason the game felt short of expectations. Unfortunately, as more reviewers finish the game it gets confirmed that the ending sequence may strike as rushed and incomplete.

Rushen and incomplete? Dunno. Act III is short, yes. But the ending isn't something like a giant battle at the end (F3 and F:NV). So dunno... what about it is incomplete?

Quilty

Magister
A very fair review from PCgamer, kudos to them. I haven't hit ch3 yet, but it's a shame if the ending is as rushed as they say.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Quilty said:
A very fair review from PCgamer, kudos to them. I haven't hit ch3 yet, but it's a shame if the ending is as rushed as they say.

PCGamer is far from fair:

The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming’s best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better. Verdict

Guess what game it is.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Havoc said:
Quilty said:

PCGamer is far from fair:

The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming’s best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better. Verdict

Guess what game it is.

Yes... I think that would have been a fair review I they had given 75% to DA2 at most

Still, the reviewer is honest about his score. In the comments section he explicitly states that TWitcher 2 overshadows DA2 no problem.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Hey bros, sorry to interrupt, but do I need to play the first Witcher to fully understand the story/enjoy this, or should I just start with this one?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Quilty said:

Dreading that as well. It's a blight that has hampered a shitload of rpg's during the years. He's not the first reviewer to mention this so I am quite worried. Will see...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
DraQ said:
Phage said:
Hey bros, sorry to interrupt, but do I need to play the first Witcher to fully understand the story/enjoy this, or should I just start with this one?
I don't know, haven't got TW2 yet, but I would play the first one first.
So far (finished the prologue) there aren't many callbacks to the first game, so I would say it's similar to BG/BG2 - recommended but not required.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The first one is kinda mediocre at the start. With many lines having unconvincing delivery. I really don't get Geralt's responses in some of the dialogues, and it was barely improving in my current Vizima run. Your tolerance level will vary, but it does have choices and consequences but the combat can be very repetitive.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think you should play the first one, it's good for a single playthrough and you won't have patience to play it if you go through Witcher 2 first because of the combat mechanics.

Stabwound

Arcane
Witcher 1 is definitely worth a playthrough, although it's a much less enjoyable game than the sequel overall. Even regardless of that, it's a pretty good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom