Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2 Release Date Announced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
NWN had clone-like character models.

An aweful lot of games had clone-like character models, including Bloodlines or DAO. The Witcher guys just made the error of using clones even for significant characters.

Ancient

Erudite
592259b0_f545_4bb2.gif

DraQ

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
SimpleComplexity said:
I've heard that game reviewers receive a special version of the bust of Geralt's head.

Do I want to know, I wonder?

MicoSelva said:
I don't think bad dubbing, bad translation and clone-like character models were effects of using aurora engine. These are the things corrected in EE, right?

The only game I have ever played that didn't have clone characters was Azrael's Tear.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lesifoere said:

Which were made out of various parts and had different colours for them. Plus their faces weren't seen and they had distinctive avatars. And main characters did have unique models.

In Twitcher models are literally the same, same clothing, same colours, same faces, same everything.

Murk

Arcane
Is the number of models even something to complain about? aren't there more pressing concerns? Like shit combat, constant running around and a loading screen between each area, and choices that seem like they matter but don't?

Witcher was fun and all but number of character models is the last thing to bitch about. Not to mention that they actually looked decent.

1eyedking

Erudite
DraQ said:
1eyedking said:
Fallout had only a handful of models and no one complained.
I feel discomfort agreeing with 1ek, now that he has lost his mind, but this.
Lost it? No, my friend, I've actually found it!

Mikayel said:
Is the number of models even something to complain about? aren't there more pressing concerns? Like shit combat, constant running around and a loading screen between each area, and choices that seem like they matter but don't?

Witcher was fun and all but number of character models is the last thing to bitch about. Not to mention that they actually looked decent.
Loading screens were actually pretty awesome.

Ah, why do I kid myself. We'll never get a game as immersive as the Witcher again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Witcher was a decent ARPG... just without loot, classes/specialization, or any meaningful attributes/leveling process. Do they rectify any of that in the sequel?

Ruprekt

Scholar
I liked everything about witcher except the combat. It's the first RPG I've seen that gets the european-fantasy-setting looking right (the castles actually look like real castles etc).

The combat really was fucking awful tho :(

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Ruprekt said:
I liked everything about witcher except the combat. It's the first RPG I've seen that gets the european-fantasy-setting looking right (the castles actually look like real castles etc).

The combat really was fucking awful tho :(

I agree, the combat sucked. I've never been able to finish Diablo and I never got past the first level of the Witcher with all of those spectral dogs. At least I made it to the Butcher level in Diablo a couple of times before giving up. I even enjoyed Divine Divinity (after being told that I'd have to make it through the first five-level dungeon) and eventually loved it, because it turned into an RPG.

One day I'll give The Witcher another chance, I didn't mind the tutorial level but just thinking about all of those glowing dogs and whack, whack whacking my simon says sword makes me cringe.

Ancient

Erudite
what's so bad about combat it looks p.good
and timed inputs make it more thrilling
or are you just lazy ?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Metro said:
Witcher was a decent ARPG... just without loot, classes/specialization, or any meaningful attributes/leveling process. Do they rectify any of that in the sequel?
Looks like it, at least according to bits of info we can get from faq and interviews.
Armor now consists of several parts, like boots, gloves, etc. No classes, but there are 3 more or less independent trees of skills (swords, signs and alchemy), designed so that players could focus on one of them for a distinct build or combine them.

made

Arcane
Ancient said:
or are you just lazy ?
Mash a single button as fast as you can = immersive fast paced combat
Time your swings to form combos and mix them up with magic and other abilities = LOL SIMON SAYS QTE WTF IS THIS SHIT

It's like that thing the Twilight Zone was talking about.

Ancient

Erudite
made said:
Mash a single button as fast as you can = immersive fast paced combat

no you have to press it at the right time , if you mash button you'll just break your combos and end-up in a ditch

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mikayel said:

Repeating the same shit for 1000th time gets boring even for me

Ancient said:
or are you just lazy ?

More like not stupid enough to just sit looking at a screen and pushing a single button every 2 seconds all the time in every single fucking combat encounter. TW has the worst combat I ever seen in a game. Arcanum's combat seems like a tactical simulation compared to it.

Rhalle

Magister
VentilatorOfDoom said:

An aweful lot of games had clone-like character models, including Bloodlines or DAO. The Witcher guys just made the error of using clones even for significant characters.

NWN used a character generator, where bodies scaled but were essentially the same. The Witcher developer tools did not have a character generator; all the models had to be made individually, which is why they kept repeating NPCs. It's also why, however, there was such variation in the ones you got. Zoltan the dwarf was not just a short version of a human, Luevarden did not have just a scaled-to-be-fat Geralt body and Sir whats-his-name was not just "male body 1" with an armor mesh on it. They were all basically unique.

I don't know what they've done this time around-- it looks like they've done the same thing; but I think it would be a good idea to used a scalable generator for non-essential NPCs and unique models for the main characters, perhaps something like DAO.

One day I'll give The Witcher another chance, I didn't mind the tutorial level but just thinking about all of those glowing dogs and whack, whack whacking my simon says sword makes me cringe.

Yeah, it's excessive before you get to the last battle, all the spawning Barghests. The Drowners in the next chapter get to be pretty excessive too, to be honest. Don't ignore alchemy, build up the wind sign and frankly just view combat as a sort of chance at a performance in which you can show how cool and balletic you can look while taking on multiple enemies, stunning some and spinning away to kill others and building up the combo chains and that sort of thing. Some of it-- like stunning an enemy and spinning around to decapitate him and his head goes rolling-- moments like that-- arguably is some of the most visceral combat ever in an RPG, despite the unusual one-click way you have to get to it.

More like not stupid enough to just sit looking at a screen and pushing a single button every 2 seconds all the time in every single fucking combat encounter. TW has the worst combat I ever seen in a game. Arcanum's combat sims like a tactical simulation compared to it.

Not that it's a great system, but it's much better when you work to make Geralt do more than just stand in one spot and click. The acrobatics and switching up styles and weapons for different enemies and casting the signs and doing combos to get the kill animations is where it's at.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I just wish it wasn't an eastern european game so it had combat like in good console slashers. If you are making it a multiplatform hack'n'slash at least add cool combos to it so the combat will be fun.

Well, does anyone feel like jotting down a list of the 'features' that are new to the sequel? Anything that comes across as consolisation? A feeling of Deus Ex Invisible War?

Oh, and while I think of it, has anyone tried The Witcher 1 on new systems? Specifically systems with new ATI cards? From reading forums, it seems there has been quite a few problems with it now.

Rhalle

Magister
There's apparently some stealth sections; it looks like it focuses on some pretty detailed multiple story-paths, ones that depend on particular actions and not just on dialogue choices; the area transitions are seamless; they've dumbed-down the alchemy with an optional minigame; they got rid of the levelling system with the 'coins' to purchase skills at level-up and have implemented some dumb-sounding Witcher classes so that the 'tards wont get confused about what sort of character they are making; you can now meditate anywhere (which, come to think of it is just more dumbing-down for casuals).

Supposedly it (at least the combat?) is heavily influenced by B:AA. But I dunno.

If they don't fuck it all up trying to imitate Western DLC-platform dev-- er, I mean game companies-- I think they'll do well. They obviously have more soul and technical skill than Bioware does at this point.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
blackadder said:
has anyone tried The Witcher 1 on new systems? Specifically systems with new ATI cards? From reading forums, it seems there has been quite a few problems with it now.

My wife is replaying TWitcher now on Radeon 5850 (Win XP) and there are no problems. Of course, there's a chance You mean Radeon 6000 series or Win7.

For me, the first game was a decent RPG/Action-adventure hybrid. Repetitive combat didn't bother me - many RPGs have this 'feature'.
I'm looking forward to expanding the RPG elements in the sequel. Stats that have some meaning outside of combat would nice, for starters. For such a dialogue-heavy game, this aspect was really underdeveloped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom