Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2 Release Date Announced

Ancient

Erudite
MicoSelva said:
My wife is replaying TWitcher now on Radeon 5850 (Win XP) and there are no problems. Of course, there's a chance You mean Radeon 6000 series or Win7.

I run Twitcher on 5850 with win7 without problems
and 6000 series is basically same as 5000 , so there should be no difference

DraQ

Arcane
1eyedking said:
DraQ said:
1eyedking said:
Fallout had only a handful of models and no one complained.
I feel discomfort agreeing with 1ek, now that he has lost his mind, but this.
Lost it? No, my friend, I've actually found it!
Uh, would you mind inserting it then?

Metro said:
Witcher was a decent ARPG... just without loot, classes/specialization, or any meaningful attributes/leveling process. Do they rectify any of that in the sequel?
Lack of loot is there by design and works fantastically well. It just wouldn't be Witcher otherwise.

Same with lack of classes, though they would have their place if it was an open game just taking place in the same setting.

Also, see Rhalle's post - combat was pretty bland but nowhere near atrocious and it had its highlights.

Silellak

Cipher
DraQ said:
1eyedking said:
Fallout had only a handful of models and no one complained.
I feel discomfort agreeing with 1ek, now that he has lost his mind, but this.
Eh, it's not really an apt comparison. The more detailed the graphics are in a gameworld, the more jarring those sort of 'issues' are. The more 'realistic' a game looks, the more pressure there is on the game to reflect 'reality' - and 10 people with the exact same appearance is not 'reality'. It's not like the issue of limited character models is game-breaking by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not the same as in a game with more abstract graphics like Fallout.

I would say that it hurt the immersion factor, but I never found The Witcher that immersive to begin with. :smug:

Lysiander

Novice
simonheffer said:
Zyrxil said:
Wtf. The subtitle is "Assassin of Kings" and they release it 2 days after the Ides of March?
That'll be the Ides of May I think, although I could only find : "On The 15th of May 1800 AD George III survives 2 assassination attempt"
He was refering to the Ides of March (15th of March), the date Julius Ceasar was murdered in 44bc which brought about the end of the roman republic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DraQ said:
Lack of loot is there by design and works fantastically well. It just wouldn't be Witcher otherwise.

Same with lack of classes, though they would have their place if it was an open game just taking place in the same setting.

Yeah I understand the lack of classes which is why I put the caveat of specializations of which there were really none in the first game. Sure you couldn't get as many ability 'coins' as there were in total but you could get a sufficient coverage such that it didn't matter and you were pretty much a jack of all trades as opposed to specializing in signs, alchemy, or combat. As far as the lack of loot, I never read the novels so I can't attest to how well it fits in with the setting but, honestly, you can go through the whole game not upgrading your armor until the very last act (there is a mid tier one you can buy if you want) -- same goes with the swords for the most part but you can craft a few on your own but not to much additional effect given the easy and bland combat.

My larger point is Witcher just didn't even feel like an RPG, not even an ARPG. There was little sense of character progression -- sure you 'got stronger' but not in any identifiable/meaningful way. If they had ditched the 'coin' system altogether and just opted for level scaling no one would have noticed. There's no give and take in terms of what abilities you select, no trade offs to be made. Similarly there's little to no meaningful choice and consequences other than the displaying of different concept art cutscenes. There were a couple of vignettes that were done nicely like the murder investigation but those were few and far between.

It felt like an over the shoulder action game with good atmosphere. When I tried to replay it recently I just couldn't do it. It was just tedious collection of reagents, potion brewing, and the same mindless combat again and again with nothing varied like different loot or a different way of playing. Take away the setting and I'd say it is arguably less of an RPG than Borderlands most of the time.

Reading the FAQ for the second one looks like they've put in some promising changes but, of course, there's no way in hell I'm preordering or even buying before it's significantly discounted.

Murk

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Repeating the same shit for 1000th time gets boring even for me

Heh. Heheh. Hehehehehehe. Hehehehehehehehahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaahahahahahahah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hahahaha.

hah.

BlackAdder - I have an HD3850 and I had to resort to using 9.1 catalyst drivers (this was when 10.1 was new) as the game wouldn't load the main menu (would crash there) and in the Upper quarters of Vizima and in the Cemetary of Vizima I would get some graphical artifacts, namely objects and sometimes monstres would turn into gigantic jagged polygon forms that would stretch from one side of town to the other.

It would crash every now and again. Not sure if its remedied in the new drivers but it wasn't enough to stop me from playing the game.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Blackadder said:
Oh, and while I think of it, has anyone tried The Witcher 1 on new systems? Specifically systems with new ATI cards?

I have an overclocked HD 4870. Played the game with the newest drivers at that time. No crashes or artifacts or anything for me...

Metro said:
Agreed, even though I generally liked the game.
Lack of specializations and even minimally meaningful character development is what makes TW even less of an rpg that the weeaboo shit I'm LPing.

Phelot

Arcane
Metro said:
DraQ said:

Yeah I understand the lack of classes which is why I put the caveat of specializations of which there were really none in the first game. Sure you couldn't get as many ability 'coins' as there were in total but you could get a sufficient coverage such that it didn't matter and you were pretty much a jack of all trades as opposed to specializing in signs, alchemy, or combat. As far as the lack of loot, I never read the novels so I can't attest to how well it fits in with the setting but, honestly, you can go through the whole game not upgrading your armor until the very last act (there is a mid tier one you can buy if you want) -- same goes with the swords for the most part but you can craft a few on your own but not to much additional effect given the easy and bland combat.

My larger point is Witcher just didn't even feel like an RPG, not even an ARPG. There was little sense of character progression -- sure you 'got stronger' but not in any identifiable/meaningful way. If they had ditched the 'coin' system altogether and just opted for level scaling no one would have noticed. There's no give and take in terms of what abilities you select, no trade offs to be made. Similarly there's little to no meaningful choice and consequences other than the displaying of different concept art cutscenes. There were a couple of vignettes that were done nicely like the murder investigation but those were few and far between.

It felt like an over the shoulder action game with good atmosphere. When I tried to replay it recently I just couldn't do it. It was just tedious collection of reagents, potion brewing, and the same mindless combat again and again with nothing varied like different loot or a different way of playing. Take away the setting and I'd say it is arguably less of an RPG than Borderlands most of the time.

Reading the FAQ for the second one looks like they've put in some promising changes but, of course, there's no way in hell I'm preordering or even buying before it's significantly discounted.

This is essentially my same feelings for the game. Great atmosphere and it truly made me want to see what was around the corner, but otherwise it was a real drag. Tedium is the correct word and the thought of trying to play this game again hurts.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Ancient said:
what's so bad about combat it looks p.good
and timed inputs make it more thrilling
or are you just lazy ?

I suppose it's 'thrilling' for many people including you. To be honest, I just finished Doom 3 and liked it. I blacked out my curtains and cranked the sound and drank a shitload of beers over a few days. I liked the combat despite the problems with the game.

The Witcher was just boring to me. Like I said, I don't even like Diablo style games yet I really enjoyed Divine Divinity despite the simplistic combat.

When a major game mechanic that you're going to be repeating over and over for many hours doesn't appeal to you it makes the game less fun. Sometimes I can overlook that, sometimes I don't bother. In this case I didn't give it a chance as I didn't finish the first level. Hell, I even made it through 15 hours of Oblivion before giving up in boredom.

Maybe it's worth seeing through to the end as I am a story fag at times but when a game becomes a chore I don't consider it entertainment anymore. I'm not lazy, I just like to have fun. You're idea of fun and mine are obviously different, and that's okay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom