Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

MasPingon

Arcane
Playing for about 60 hours. Hope the ending won't be shit and there are actual consequences of your actions. For now - this is Gothic 2/Bloodlines/Witcher 1/F:NV combined for me. I didn't expect that from CDPR, this game is even bigger then BG2. Seriously, how the hell did they come up with so much of a quality content is beyond me. Even combat is fun, tho clunky at times.

Bloody Baron questline writing is on par with the best of P:T, MotB and F: Dead Money. Period.

Paul_cz

Arcane
This game was made in 3 years by some 230 devs.

How. I don't even. The scope and scale combined with quality - are other devs even trying ?

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What's the logic behind the fact that if you have strong alcohol when you meditate, it refills your potions? Pretty odd.

imweasel

This game was made in 3 years by some 230 devs.

How. I don't even. The scope and scale combined with quality - are other devs even trying ?
The game has some really good quest design, which is superb, but it is also full of shitloads of filler. Which sucks. In before "you can ignore the filler content".

I do think the game is good because it has a lot of high quality content, but it would be much better if it didn't have all of this copypasted bullshit which was obviously inspired by Todd Howard's school of game design.

What's the logic behind the fact that if you have strong alcohol when you meditate, it refills your potions? Pretty odd.
:popamole:

Is Perkel Polish y/n?
Very likely. It is really rather easy to spot the polish Codexers ITT as much as they praise their national treasure.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
The game has some really good quest design, which is superb, but it is also full of shitloads of filler. Which sucks. In before "you can ignore the filler content".

I do think the game is good because it has a lot of high quality content, but it would be much better if it didn't have all of this copypasted bullshit which was obviously inspired by Todd Howard's school of game design.

opamole:

Very likely. It is really rather easy to spot the polish Codexers ITT as much as they praise their national treasure.
I have not played this yet, but have you tried turning off the quest compass and PoI's on the minimap? Might make the filler seem less artificial. If not for these options I wouldn't even bother.

imweasel

all of this copypasted bullshit which was obviously inspired by Todd Howard's school of game design.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Maybe Perkel is a potato J_C but you sound awfuly like Metro.
Didn't I just point out that I like the game? TW3 is without question light years better than e.g. Dragon Age: Inquisition, Skyrim or Pillars of Sawyerism, but it still has major and minor faults that are not oblivious to me. No need to get butthurt because I am pointing that out.

:M

I have not played this yet, but have you tried turning off the quest compass and PoI's on the minimap? Might make the filler seem less artificial. If not for these options I wouldn't even bother.
I am doing my best to ignore the filler content.

The chests that the bandits/deserters/monsters are protecting have a very high chance of containing a valuable recipe (I am pretty sure that the game scales items to your level). If you completely ignore the filler then these recipes will eventually show up in shops.

:M

BTW there are hand placed items like recipes for "witcher gear" (which you can find by doing treasure hunt quests) and some unique swords.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I'd consider that a positive because it seems like you can play more naturally w/o worrying about missing crucial items or constantly wiki-ing everything. This all seems like a pleasant contrast to Bloodborne, where you have to look up basically everything so you don't miss crucial gear or events as the game doesn't really tell you anything.

Gerrard

Arcane
z7Lyvtu.png

Best possible experience indeed.

Also patch 1.04 is out.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.04 changelog:
  • Rebinding any key is now available after switching Unlock Bindings option in Options \ Key bindings submenu.
  • Corrects an issue in the dialog system that might rarely cause dialog looping in scenes.
  • Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were under the influence of Axii sign.
  • Corrects a bug causing spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.
  • 1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displaying as valid resolution option.
  • Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.
  • Texture rendering quality for high / ultra presets improved.
  • Further improvements in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.
  • A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.
  • Fixes an issue where users with usernames using non-latin characters were unable to import saves from Witcher 2.
  • Overall stability and performance improvements.
  • Fixes related to alt + tabbing and minimizing game window.
  • Game icon updated.
  • Enlarges the size of the loot pop-up window in the UI.
  • Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could be displayed outside of game borders in the UI.
  • Upgrading set items no longer destroys sockets.
  • Small UI tweaks for Gwent.
  • Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.
Key binding improvement and mostly irrelevant shit.

Last edited:

imweasel

I'd consider that a positive because it seems like you can play more naturally w/o worrying about missing crucial items or constantly wiki-ing everything.
I'd consider it negative because it means that doing any of the content filler at all is completely pointless. But yeah, that is why they call it filler content.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So Perkel is the polish alt of J_C.

Is there a way to turn off the loading a save movies? It seems like the game doesn't start loading until they are done

No you can skip them.. I usually jam the space bar or left click / esc.. not sure what button is letting me skip it but if the game finishes loading early then you can bypass it.

Dookins

Educated
Yeah, tons of filler content. Combat has been upgraded from wince inducing to tolerable once level 3 sword skills get unlocked, gotta love having the group style once again. Writing continues to impress, what's most surprising is how consistent the quality is. Oh yeah, and Skellige is way better overall than Velen\Novigrad, even random filler content seems better placed and designed.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'd consider that a positive because it seems like you can play more naturally w/o worrying about missing crucial items or constantly wiki-ing everything.
I'd consider it negative because it means that doing any of the content filler at all is completely pointless. But yeah, that is why they call it filler content.

Pointless from the perspective of power gaming and GETTING PHAT LEWTZ 'N' LEVULS..

But the game has a very strong narrative that weaves in side content really well.. Some people actually enjoy the story.. when it's not written by hacks at Bioware.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Pointless from the perspective of power gaming and GETTING PHAT LEWTZ 'N' LEVULS..

But the game has a very strong narrative that weaves in side content really well.. Some people actually enjoy the story.. when it's not written by hacks at Bioware.
This is what I was thinking. Bloodborne is right here when I need my powergaming plotless fix. Sometimes making a binary switch in styles is best in life.

imweasel

I'm not talking about the sidequests, which are very well done, I am talking about the filler content.

Banging Keira because she is hawt
is a sidequest with some C&C and I enjoyed that very much.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm not talking about the sidequests, which are very well done, I am talking about the filler content.

Banging Keira because she is hawt
is a sidequest with some C&C and I enjoyed that very much.

What do you mean by Filler Content? Bounties were usually pretty good IMO.. Maybe a few were "Find The Mcguffin Boss"..

imweasel

Didn't you notice the deserters/bandits/monsters all over the map sitting on a chest with some items in it, for example? There are even question marks floating above quite a few of these encounters on the map.

Perkel

Arcane
Wait i didn't know geralt gets new moves if he upgrades his sword tree... i am doing next full swordsman no bullshit geralt for next playtrought

Didn't you notice the deserters/bandits/monsters all over the map sitting on a chest with some items in it, for example? There are even question marks floating above quite a few of these encounters on the map.

Those are not "quests"

Last edited:
1.04 has the most pitiful changelog I've ever seen. I might even skip it if not for the rebindables. Why was it even locked to begin with. Performance wise the game runs like butter on a 7970 with ultra 1080p minus vsync hairworks and a little foliage; I'm even getting away with HBAO+. They need to fix the UI. I still get the delayed responses and need to multiclick the same item or card in qwent.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom