Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
The timer in the dialogue selection is just stupid as all hell. I mean... what is the fucking point? "Don't think scrub... act.... action....BOOOOM! HURRRRY!!!!".
WTF?
Did you ever played Alpha Protocol? It's just a timed dialogue tree.

Xenich

Cipher
The timer in the dialogue selection is just stupid as all hell. I mean... what is the fucking point? "Don't think scrub... act.... action....BOOOOM! HURRRRY!!!!".
WTF?

No, never played it, I don't like tardsole games. A timed dialogue is an action junkie system. What purpose does it serve? Is it a speed reading test? Is it that they are afraid you might actually think about your choice? Or is it just a way to feed the retarded console action junkie play style? BUTTTON SMASHHH BUTTON SMASH ME SMASH BUTTON!!!

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
WTF?

I don't like tardsole games.
A timed dialogue is an action junkie system.
Or is it just a way to feed the retarded console action junkie play style?

Really, sir, this is the most stupid answer I have ever read.
It's just a design choice, made to force you to make a choice, in a restricted time. Just like in The Witcher 2, where you have to choose if give the sword to Iorveth or not.
You can say "I don't like this design choice", but saying "It's for consoles, it's because is action and action sucks" it's just idiotic.

And, just for saying, Alpha Protocol deserve to be played at least one time, because it has a really good quest design and a good C&C system.

Perkel

Arcane
I think Emhyr want to give Ciri his empire. He must have good reason to find her if he contact Geralt and convince him to do that. (Or force him to do that. He have Yen in his hands, after all)

imo it is weird. Maybe trailer simply lied to not spoil story and set fanboys to think over it between now and game release.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
By the way. Check 0:20 on trailer. It is Yen.
How I know that?
Unicorn.

Kind of saga reference. Yen liked to be fucked on that unicorn. Geralt hated that. It was mentioned in one of stories. :lol:

Xenich

Cipher
WTF?

It's just a design choice, made to force you to make a choice, in a restricted time. Just like in The Witcher 2, where you have to choose if give the sword to Iorveth or not.
You can say "I don't like this design choice", but saying "It's for consoles, it's because is action and action sucks" it's just idiotic.

And, just for saying, Alpha Protocol deserve to be played at least one time, because it has a really good quest design and a good C&C system.

Yes, I understand what it is. All you did is describe it, you didn't explain its purpose. What purpose does it serve to force the person to choose quickly?

Console games are very commonly mainstream. Mainstream design is for fucking idiots (ie lowest common denominator) who think pointless time sensitive actions are game play.

So again... WHY is there a timer? WHAT POINT DOES IT SERVE? WHAT GAME PLAY ASPECT DOES IT ATTEND TO?

Understand?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
WTF?

Yes, I understand what it is. All you did is describe it, you didn't explain its purpose. What purpose does it serve to force the person to choose quickly?

Console games are very commonly mainstream. Mainstream deisgn is for fucking idiots (ie lowest common denominator) who think pointless time sensitive actions are game play.

So again... WHY is there a timer? WHAT POINT DOES IT SERVE? WHAT GAME PLAY ASPECT DOES IT ATTEND TO?

Understand?

The purpouse, at least in my honest opinion, is to simulate a situation in which you have to make a choice quickly. A situation in which you're in danger, or something, and you can't temporize. English is not my first language, so I'm sorry if I'm not so clear, I've some difficults to explain what I have in mind.

I'm a PC gamer, but...Demon Souls is born on consoles. Idem for DkS. Their design is not so mainstream.

Xenich

Cipher
The purpouse, at least in my honest opinion, is to simulate a situation in which you have to make a choice quickly. A situation in which you're in danger, or something, and you can't temporize. English is not my first language, so I'm sorry if I'm not so clear, I've some difficults to explain what I have in mind.

I find such elements of play needless and action junky style of play. Besides, such a system is completely invalidated by the save system. Rushing someone to make a quick decision is useless if someone can reload the game. It is a feature that is overly concerned with micromanaging the player (a common problem with consoles) and a thinking that uses physical action as a gating mechanism rather than depth of choice and conflict. If the difficulty of your choice needs to be hurried by response, then likely the choice itself isn't very complex or thoughtful. That is, it is a need to have you choose quickly, for if you have time to think about it, the choice would be obvious. If this is not the case, if the choice has no real thought process to it (ie an exploration decision that requires no predisposition), then it is just a "Whack a mole" game of pointless action reflex. Either way, it is terrible design and pointless to any real meaningful play.

hiver

Realisticccc!!!

PJVYEoS.jpg

:wtf?: :what:

monster scenes are nice, interesting:

IMilQy6.jpg

imtlyBG.jpg

there is no fucking wind there, morons.

JC8DOpc.jpg

you cant fucking sail like that polans. ffs...

this scene is sooo going to be the same in the game, right?

J7t578F.jpg

those armors... and that DPS...
NsvdkAa.jpg

TzYzOpa.jpg

fTNwKNM.jpg

ovlTESy.jpg

Lcs4a0j.jpg

and that gamepad/console controls...

Cards are back, yay!

Qcyg4st.jpg

no boobs, nay!

Last edited by a moderator:

Beowulf

Arcane
Love that beggar looking for money, where it's obvious what is going to happen in a few seconds.

Timed dialogue
:troll:

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

I find such elements of play needless and action junky style of play. Besides, such a system is completely invalidated by the save system. Rushing someone to make a quick decision is useless if someone can reload the game. It is a feature that is overly concerned with micromanaging the player (a common problem with consoles) and a thinking that uses physical action as a gating mechanism rather than depth of choice and conflict. If the difficulty of your choice needs to be hurried by response, then likely the choice itself isn't very complex or thoughtful. That is, it is a need to have you choose quickly, for if you have time to think about it, the choice would be obvious. If this is not the case, if the choice has no real thought process to it (ie an exploration decision that requires no predisposition), then it is just a "Whack a mole" game of pointless action reflex. Either way, it is terrible design and pointless to any real meaningful play.

Yes. Yes, you're absolutely right.
The save system is the most dangerous element when comes to C&C system. It can entirely break the system of Choice & Consequences.
I think the way to avoid the "load game" is to set the consequences far away from the choices.
I mean, you make a choice, and later you get the consequence.

I remember that in Alpha Protocol, choices had a real thought process, because the NPC reacted to the player in different ways. And you can discover what dialogue line fits better to that NPC, reading its file.

Perkel

Arcane
Fashion Witcher: TW2 already had best in business armors but this looks just on another level and each of them is supposed to be up-gradable

bvsiov.gif

Xenich

Cipher
The save system is the most dangerous element when comes to C&C system. It can entirely break the system of Choice & Consequences.
I think the way to avoid the "load game" is to set the consequences far away from the choices.

To apply this method, you have to make sure the choice properly establishes the nature of the consequence. If you provide a choice and there is no real determination to be made with the consequence being unforeseen. All you have done is created a random penalty system for a random choice. Long term consequences should be reasonably deduced. You can make the determination of such very difficult, complex in the evaluation, but the element of being able to properly consider the possible ramifications of a decision should always be in the players hands. If it is not, like I said, you are just randomly holding them to a consequence they had no reasonable power to control (defying the entire point of character development and story interaction).

This approach however requires depth to story and conversation, far more than most games today even attempt and such an approach would be cheapened by time sensitive interaction.

This is why I think the timer is a gimmick and pointless feature.

odrzut

Arcane
There are some times when saves and short-term C&C can be used with good effect. For example when you pissed off Roche in TW2 in the prison interrogation - he called Ves to kill you straight away. It was short-term on purpose - if people learnt that their choice from 2 hours ago made them die no matter what they would be enraged.

It was a cheap trick to give people pretend choice and cut it off, but it adds to atmosphere and describes characters without boring lectures, so I think it can be used from time to time.

Also I disagree about long-term consequences being predictable - it's one thing to not let players paint themselves into corner, it's other to handhold them. I liked the fact that sometimes consequences can be unpredictable. It makes me more likely to roleplay character instead of optimising universe with my choices.

hiver

It really should be a good, smartly thought out mix of short term and long term consequences, out of which some should be a surprise or a twist or unpredictable - but not all or even a majority.

Perkel

Arcane

To apply this method, you have to make sure the choice properly establishes the nature of the consequence. If you provide a choice and there is no real determination to be made with the consequence being unforeseen. All you have done is created a random penalty system for a random choice. Long term consequences should be reasonably deduced. You can make the determination of such very difficult, complex in the evaluation, but the element of being able to properly consider the possible ramifications of a decision should always be in the players hands.

Problem with your statement is that you want everything to know beforehand.
TW1 showed that above is bullshit and you don't need to know it.

In TW1 case and in TW2 case (just worse than in TW1) C&C is handled this way:

Problem ---> Choice ---> instant resolve of problem ---> late consequences.

There is nothing here about establishing consequence part. Sure you can try to reach some long term goal like siding with order but consequences of your decisions are working either way and usually they have 0 to do with your planning.

That is superior to any other system.

In most of RPGs C&C is completely resolved in close to max 20 minutes aside from few choices in whole game which can last hour or more but their consequence is never negative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom