Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MiX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Hearts of Stone will take Geralt on an all-new 10-hour adventure into the wilds of No Man’s Land and the nooks and alleys of Oxenfurt..."
"Blood and Wine, a 20-hour tale that will introduce the all-new in-game region of Toussaint, will take Geralt to a land untainted by war..."

Still want to bet brofists?

Perkel

Arcane
I'm willing to be Brofists that one of those expansions has either Yen or Ciri as the main character.

You will be playing old dude

4.jpeg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know why they didn't just wait until the game was out before announcing the expansions/pass.

Surely they realised this might cause some annoyance?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
IMO there are two options here.

1. They decided to go full AAA route and announced the season pass before release, because that is what AAA publishing does.

2. They wanted to announce this around a month after release, but forgot to reschedule the announcement after the game was delayed from February to May and it went live following the original schedule. I would not put such a fuckup past CDP.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't know why they didn't just wait until the game was out before announcing the expansions/pass.

Surely they realised this might cause some annoyance?

Expansions were expected from day 0. Same as people expected expansion for TW2.
It is stupid that they announced it before game is even out.

As for reason why: money. Instead of 60 now fanboys will spend 90

IMO there are two options here.

1. They decided to go full AAA route and announced the season pass before release, because that is what AAA publishing does.

2. They wanted to announce this around a month after release, but forgot to reschedule the announcement after the game was delayed from February to May and it went live following the original schedule. I would not put such a fuckup past CDP.

There is no way 2 would happen. 1 is obvious.

Darkzone

Arcane
I do not think that to announce the coming expansions in a release cycle of half a year is a bad decision. Quite the opposite, i would state, that they are saying that they will continue to work on the game itself and new content even after release, with this move. We here know that they would do this anyway, but most of the new people to the Witcher series do not know that this is even possible, they are used to the release of a game and then perhaps a patch if anything. Also it is also a kind of advertisement for the game itself, and their goal is to gain as much critical mass as possible in the first days for the game, so that their sales numbers will be very high.

abija

Prophet
Additionally W2 has an entire character progression line that's pretty much worthless because of the way they chose to handle potion drinking. No such trap builds in Bioware games.
If you mean the alchemy tree, it definitely wasn't a trap. Coupled with some sword talents it was the "hit like a truck" tree. That was at release, no idea how/if they changed it later on.
Guess you would have to play a game instead of theorycrafting around it though...

The Nameless User

Barely Literate
LOL
Combat system in Dark Souls is unresponsive, with a shitty camera management and a shitty collisions detection.

But this is not a problem. Because Dark Souls is not an Action game, but a dungeon crawl.
Hello everybody! I'm a new user and I've been following this discussion for a long time.
Today I decided to join your community to let you know something new about the user called "moon knight" with which you've been dealing for all this time:

ZjJPkAY.png

As you can see from the picture above, he's clearly pretending to know this game in a deep way after...5 hours of actual gameplay?
5 hours spent in which way sir? Because according to the achievements you never lighted a single bonfire or took any flask.
So...you are basically claiming to be an RPG expert over another user who spent over 200hrs in the same game?

Paul_cz

Arcane
I think the reasons they announced expansion now is riding on the hype wave + letting console gamers know to not sell the game after finishing.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hello everybody! I'm a new user and I've been following this discussion for a long time.
Today I decided to join your community to let you know something new about the user called "moon knight" with which you've been dealing for all this time:

:avatard:

Darkzone

Arcane
The Nameless User
And how do you know that this moon knight is the steam moon knight? Look at my avatar i'm here Darkzone and only on two other forms Darkzone. Other idiots have already taken Darkzone on other medias like youtube and etc, so that i have no chance of acquiring the avatar name Darkzone.

Doktor Best

Arcane
no you fucking retard. Ds was designed with controler in mind and had rushed port to pc (thanks to a fucking online petition) with rather lackluster kb+m controls. Ds controls on consoles are neither shitty nor unresponsive. Ds2 had none of this problems:smug:

LOL
Combat system in Dark Souls is unresponsive, with a shitty camera management and a shitty collisions detection.

But this is not a problem. Because Dark Souls is not an Action game, but a dungeon crawl.

You must be one of them ragequitters who never really understood the game/controls if you think the controls of Dark Souls are "unresponsive". It is in fact responsive as fuck. The combat system is godlike, but also the game is meant to be unforgiving. You can be staggered, you can easily miss because of distance gaps (because the hit system is fucking precise, you can even grace enemies doing less dmg) you run out of stamina if you dont pay attention, you can hit walls with your weapon fumbling your attack, your dodge roll has very few invincibiliy frames etc usw.

This game has such a good control system and is so skill based that people manage to play it through as naked level one characters, this would simply not be possible if what you have stated was true.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I want to play with Triss. Naked.

:troll:

Afair somewhere in the books it is mentioned that almost every vision you have of a mage in this universe is an illusion. So if you play Triss there is a big possibility you actually play her naked because the clothes are part of the illusion. But the same goes for her youth and beauty so you basically play a really fucking old naked hag with tits hanging down to her knees.

hiver

Excuse me, why is that... thing called a season pass?

What seasons?

is this a tv show now? seasons of dlc? what?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This thread seems to irresistibly attract retards.
First post in thread: Mar 22
It's admirable you've learned to read the numbers dumbass, but how about learning to read letters too:

This will be the Dragon Age: Inquisition of 2015. Anyone who is seriously putting hopes into it being an actual RPG is gravely mistaken.

You can generally tell a game is going to be shit when you see they are buttering you up with sleazy sales talk:
Some info from Gamestar who had an editor spend 2 days with the game. He is somewhat hyped.
"My two days with Geralt were one of the most beautiful, most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life"
Sounds like a schoolgirl whose parents let her boyfriend take her to the sea for a weekend.
"In my 33 years..." geez, so this places the experience just above your marriage and kids' birthdays? Unless you have no wife and kids, no graduations or anything, so the most remarkable moment in your life were your "two days with Geralt".

Next hints are when you see what features they are emphasizing. Tells you not only what to expect to see, but what to not expect. In this case, don't expect anything RPG-related. Instead, get ready for:

• Many small details such as Roach stopping to eat apples from a basket
  • Geralts beard will grow over time
  • Visual gore more prominent than in The Witcher 2
  • Most dynamic/impressive Weather System the reporter has ever seen.

Evidence of even further bullshit streamlining? Check!
  • Ciri sequences will be (in total) 5-10h and feel more like an action-adventure game than an RPG
so in this "RPG" we have between 5 and 10 hours of unskippable twitch action gameplay. Way to go.
  • The extremely annoying doors from The Witcher 2 are gone. Doors are now opened automatically, no button pressing. No loading times for entering buildings either.
When a game developer calls a feature in his previous games "extremely annoying" because he has cut it out of the most recent game, you should run. Just run.

• You only need to craft a potion once and you can refill it if you have enough alcohol present.

All in all, nice graphics demo. I wish there was also a game to go with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you mean the alchemy tree, it definitely wasn't a trap. Coupled with some sword talents it was the "hit like a truck" tree. That was at release, no idea how/if they changed it later on.
Guess you would have to play a game instead of theorycrafting around it though...

Potions are garbage because you have to rest to use them, the time limit is too short even with the talents that extend it, and it keeps running while the cutscenes are going.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
LOL

ZjJPkAY.png

As you can see from the picture above, he's clearly pretending to know this game in a deep way after...5 hours of actual gameplay?
5 hours spent in which way sir? Because according to the achievements you never lighted a single bonfire or took any flask.
So...you are basically claiming to be an RPG expert over another user who spent over 200hrs in the same game?

1) I've never played the Steam Version with the achievments, but the GFWL version.
2) You can understand how a combat system conceptually works after few hours, you don't need to beat the game (Except for party based RPGs)
3) I've already played the PS3 version.

Instead of doing some kind of...I don't know how to call it, witch hunt(?) maybe, there's an easier way to face an argumentation. Do you know how? Arguing. It's simple.

And yes, sadly the camera management is awful, and the collision detection doesn't work very well. And yes, this is not important, because in an RPG and its subgenre (dungeon crawl) combat system is absolutely secondary. That was my point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom