Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Potions are garbage because you have to rest to use them, the time limit is too short even with the talents that extend it, and it keeps running while the cutscenes are going.

Yes, that was a gameplay problem, but I don't think because you have to rest. It think it was because you don't know, in your first run, when you would face to an enemy encounter or a boss fight.
Rest to drink the potions fits with the lore. My opinion is that this problem could be solved by keeping the necessity to rest to drink a potion, but with the possibility to activate that potion in the middle of a fight.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
no you fucking retard. Ds was designed with controler in mind and had rushed port to pc (thanks to a fucking online petition) with rather lackluster kb+m controls. Ds controls on consoles are neither shitty nor unresponsive. Ds2 had none of this problems:smug:

LOL
Combat system in Dark Souls is unresponsive, with a shitty camera management and a shitty collisions detection.

But this is not a problem. Because Dark Souls is not an Action game, but a dungeon crawl.

You must be one of them ragequitters who never really understood the game/controls if you think the controls of Dark Souls are "unresponsive". It is in fact responsive as fuck. The combat system is godlike, but also the game is meant to be unforgiving. You can be staggered, you can easily miss because of distance gaps (because the hit system is fucking precise, you can even grace enemies doing less dmg) you run out of stamina if you dont pay attention, you can hit walls with your weapon fumbling your attack, your dodge roll has very few invincibiliy frames etc usw.

This game has such a good control system and is so skill based that people manage to play it through as naked level one characters, this would simply not be possible if what you have stated was true.

Not exactly. Just for saying, I love how DkS's combat system works, I like that concept, because it requires a lot of skill from the player. It isn't meant to be played by noobs or casuals.
But it's not perfect, because it has its technical problems.
From Software is never be good on tech side.

Gerrard

Arcane
You must be one of them ragequitters who never really understood the game/controls if you think the controls of Dark Souls are "unresponsive". It is in fact responsive as fuck. The combat system is godlike, but also the game is meant to be unforgiving. You can be staggered, you can easily miss because of distance gaps (because the hit system is fucking precise, you can even grace enemies doing less dmg) you run out of stamina if you dont pay attention, you can hit walls with your weapon fumbling your attack, your dodge roll has very few invincibiliy frames etc usw.

This game has such a good control system and is so skill based that people manage to play it through as naked level one characters, this would simply not be possible if what you have stated was true.
Once again, everything said here is true for TW2 combat as well.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
"Hearts of Stone will take Geralt on an all-new 10-hour adventure into the wilds of No Man’s Land and the nooks and alleys of Oxenfurt..."
"Blood and Wine, a 20-hour tale that will introduce the all-new in-game region of Toussaint, will take Geralt to a land untainted by war..."

Still want to bet brofists?

I'm still willing to bet brofists that either Ciri or Yen get some extra content down the road. Either paid or unpaid content.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
If you mean the alchemy tree, it definitely wasn't a trap. Coupled with some sword talents it was the "hit like a truck" tree. That was at release, no idea how/if they changed it later on.
Guess you would have to play a game instead of theorycrafting around it though...

Potions are garbage because you have to rest to use them, the time limit is too short even with the talents that extend it, and it keeps running while the cutscenes are going.

I disagree in part. While the durations were short and could leave players without the potion boost after cutscenes (Draugir boss of Act 2), I think alchemy was easily one of the strongest trees. The key to making alchemy strong (in my opinion) was the mutagen that increased medium and max sword damage. Once you stacked the damage mutagen, you just needed to take advantage of all the following:whirl, rook , sword oil, alchemy boosts for having a potion in effect, sword-damage talents, and the alchemy adrenaline ability. With all of these things added together, you could practically one-shot anything, including the Operator and the Dragon on Dark Mode.

I am not saying it was great design. If anything, I think alchemy is an oversight by CDProject, because they did not balance all the sources of % damage effects that you could stack. Admittedly, it is funny one-shotting the final boss.

Here is an example in the youtube video. Granted, you can consume potions before the Operator Fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDy7uQp4kQg

Last edited:

hiver

Once again, everything said here is true for TW2 combat as well.
None of it is true for tw2 combat, dont be ludicrous fanboi gerrard.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
What's wrong with action rpgs

Do you really think any AAA game ever will have incline?

Witcher 3 will probably be a solid dumb yourself down game like Skyrim

Doktor Best

Arcane
moon knight: i personally didnt have any problems with the camera or the collision detection. yeah maybe you lose some oversight when youre fighting a really big mob and youre up close to it, but that is not due to a faulty camera system, its just due to the nature of the perspective and im pretty sure its intentional. youre not supposed to see everything when youre prancing between the legs of a giant.

Gerrard:

tw2 combat system was kinda okay, but it certainly lacked the debth of a dks combat system. there was no endurance system meaning you could spam dodgeroll, the collision system was not nearly as good, the enemy animation design wasnt as good to "read" as in dks and the overall gamebalance was kinda crappy (overpowered yen, item progression was very strange, as already mentioned infinite dodge roll, sometimes uber hp bloat on higher difficulties)

the story, characters and the worlddesign made up for it and a whole differing act as branching storyline was kinda impressive on my page.

and god no comrade goby, every single action-combat system is superior to the mundane, comatuous sleep provoking boring clickfest as in skyrim. its easily the worst part of the game in my opinion.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Witcher 3 is basically the only decent looking RPG this year (unless of course you count Pillars). Thank Christ I skipped Dragon Age.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Predictably, Nvidia+CDPR promo means there is a bunch of cheap GOG keys for this game at various auction sites (I have seen some as low as $20), since people are buying new gfx cards to play GTA V and resell their free Wild Hunt keys that they do not want. :M

I wonder if CDPR did this promo for a quick cash injection because they are running out of money? Still, it should not impact their sales revenue much, if the game is successful. By which I mean successful on consoles, seeing as PC sales amount to around 10% of overall sales for AAA games - using Ubisoft as example.

tabelka.png

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I don't care much for Sultry McSlut voice, but those armors they glimpsed at in the inventory looked nice.

Keshik

Arcane
For some got the vibe of a GTA trailer in the latter part when she is talking on the things you can do. The inventory does look a lot better, at least the bit they show (2:31 in the trailer)

Perkel

Arcane
Great trailer and yeah i agree there is ton of fantastic design in those armors and clothes. TW2 armors already were superb.

Xenich

Cipher
The timer in the dialogue selection is just stupid as all hell. I mean... what is the fucking point? "Don't think scrub... act.... action....BOOOOM! HURRRRY!!!!".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
32673230.jpg

GOTY! 12/10

The timer in the dialogue selection is just stupid as all hell. I mean... what is the fucking point? "Don't think scrub... act.... action....BOOOOM! HURRRRY!!!!".

The timed dialogue only makes sense if it is done like in Alpha Protocol. There, it serves the purpose of showing naturally flowing dialogues, without weird pauses. You had just enough time to make a quick decision, so the conversation was continuos. In TW3 it seems you have a lot of time to answer, so I don't get the point either.

Perkel

Arcane
Hmm i wonder how they will tie Emhyr into plot. If it is true what narrator says then it would be weird to accept it (considering books).
Or it may be that he will simply decide that safety is way more important than freedom (considering who hunts her).

Shit may 16 is sooooo close. just a month

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm i wonder how they will tie Emhyr into plot. If it is true what narrator says then it would be weird to accept it (considering books).

I think Emhyr want to give Ciri his empire. He must have good reason to find her if he contact Geralt and convince him to do that. (Or force him to do that. He have Yen in his hands, after all)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom