Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hivemind

if they have literally unpredictable changes that you can't anticipate it's just RNG bullshit

especially in a game like dark souls where if you fuck up once you are pretty much dead

>Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games because it caters the need of almost every kind of player.
lol
I want to see something like this written about a book.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Not realy,if they include sudden changes of combat styles,i put the emphasys on sudden because right now every game does the same thing ''You get the boss hp down to a certain level and he's changing the combat style or after every few swings''
I want the AI to be more versatile when it comes to combat style,to make attacks that could surprise you ,but i'm asking for too much.
So what you want is an enemy that you can not predict in anyway so that it kills you over and over again, with nothing you can do to adapt to it's pattern.....
:hmmm:
Can someone get the dumbfuck doctor.

Doktor Best

Arcane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_BUquGYpVc

Calm down hombre...and yes,i don't find Dark Souls combat very appealing,it feels wonky and it follows a narrow path when it comes to combat diversity ''Learn the pattern and you won'' ,you may die a few times but you will win after a few fights if you have a functional brain

The pattern is not that narrow as it was shown that to each boss there are various differing tactics to win the fight. Yes you have to learn enemy behaviour and combat mechanics, that applies to every fucking game ever made and is not a valid point of criticism.

Guy above used some harsh words but all in all hes right. Shitting on Dark Souls combat system, the epitome of action rpg combat systems, is beyond reason.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm not a combat fetishist but the constant rolling is annoying, why isn't the stamina going down?

I remember some posted in this thread that it should do just that, review or some shit.

Cadmus

Arcane
:prosper: there are people in this very thread who think better combat AI is bad for a video game.
I don't know what the fuck are you talking about, goddamn tryglodyte. There are people here who disagree with calling everything shit without any valid reasons. LOL THE ENEMIES CAN BE KILLED IF YOU LEARN HOW TO, ITS SO LAST GEN, REALLY NARROW DESIGN

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I'm not a combat fetishist but the constant rolling is annoying, why isn't the stamina going down?

I remember some posted in this thread that it should do just that, review or some shit.

I too read that stamina was consumed during rolling in higher difficulties, just like health didn't regenerate between combat and other stuff.

buzz

Arcane
Of course, dragonul is talking out of his ass and comparing action games to an ideal that doesn't exist, but his point is still technically correct. Tactical diversity is always welcomed in a combat system, either due to unique encounters, change of patterns, enemies adapting and changing according to your behavior, different formations of encounters and so on.

Of course, Dark Souls has plenty of that as well, but Witcher 2 for example doesn't. That's why the game is so much more easier at the end. The arena battles for example, during chapter 2, those were some of the easiest fights in the whole game and a massive disappointment. Or the boss battles, equally retarded shit.

Now take the Mr Freeze battle in Arkham City, that was a cool change of pace. It was still fairly pattern-based, but it was designed a bit different so it can allow variety. To sum it up, you have various methods in which you can stealthy hurt him: some are typical tactics used before (kicking him from a higher spot), some are new. Every time you use one method, he learns to counter it so next time it can't be used any longer. That was probably the best part of the entire game, especially compared to other boss battles which were typical boring crap (evade charge attack until he runs into a wall, pummel him 'till he wakes up, repeat).

odrzut

Arcane
The stamina works weird, if it's full it doesn't decrease when rolling, but if it's even 99% - it does decrese because of rolling.

So if you for example enable quen - you can't roll around forever because you don't have 100% stamina.

At least that's what they said on reddit/r/witcher (which is nice way to flush out the negativity of rpgcodex, and vice versa - I recommend it to fanboys that vent here).

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Combat in proper :obviously: RPG should be all about training and outfiting your PC and encounter tactics (like placement and proper formations) not about player twitching skill and reflex... for me Gothic series or Witcher are hardly RPGs thanks to being limited to LARP Convict/Witcher too... give us proper RP game when you can play as Rogue, Knight or Wizard CDR.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Combat in proper :obviously: RPG should be all about training and outfiting your PC and encounter tactics (like placement and proper formations) not about player twitching skill and reflex... for me Gothic series or Witcher are hardly RPGs thanks to being limited to LARP Convict/Witcher too... give us proper RP game when you can play as Rogue, Knight or Wizard CDR.
The witcher universe would work well with D&D classes and mechanics because it has little trash mobs and lots of special encounters, just like how D&D PnP works. I would love to play a open world game like this while having access to 10 complex classes with all kinds of special abilities and spells.

It would be fun trying to frantically cast your mirror images, Invisibilities and Stoneskins while being beset by drowners :)

hivemind

Combat in proper :obviously: RPG should be all about training and outfiting your PC and encounter tactics (like placement and proper formations) not about player twitching skill and reflex
This is the most arbitrary and senseless distinction I have ever read.

There is nothing inherently inferior about twitch skills and reflexs.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Taking bets on when will it make to Klassified Kodex Kurator list.
Infinitron will add it within 5 minutes of launch pending the "official" 10/10 codex review.

Dude, wtf is your problem

I didn't even want to add the first Witcher to the curator at first. I think they're pretty poor, overrated RPGs on the whole. Unless this turns out to be the second coming of Gothic after all, it's not going up.

They got rid of the pirouette

Uh? We saw that in videos just days ago.

Apexeon

Arcane
So all these so called hard core Crpg fans got there Twicther 3 Pre-ordered.

Some old fart in 3D eye candy spinning around with his sword doing Fed-X quests.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
*is a hardcore RPG fan*
*swallows can of Monster*
*wipes forehead*
*meditates*

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I think Dragonul09's point is that combat should be more organic (don't know if that's the right term) instead of getting killed by a boss, learning his pattern and dominating him from there on. That said, I never played any of Souls games.

lel fuck you all, I liked TW2 combat, you're mostly just useless spergs when it comes to anything else than excel-sheeting your 40 years old RPG. There are many legitimate complaints to make about this game but the combat isn't one.

Excel sheets and 40 years old RPG are the last thing I compare Witcher 2 combat to, it's apples and oranges. That said, most hack and slash action RPGs/action games I've played had more enjoyable action combat than Witcher 2 (even low budget action RPGs like Bound by Flame being the latest example) for me and I'm not really biased against the game, I like it quite a bit for its strengths (setting, writing/plot, C&C, art direction, Geralt as a protagonist etc.) and replayed it several times.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless this turns out to be the second coming of Gothic after all, it's not going up.
Better than Gothic, because apart from NPC schedules, day-night cycle and no level scaling on enemies, it also has grid-based inventory, with nice-looking icons! :M

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
That was probably the best part of the entire game, especially compared to other boss battles which were typical boring crap (evade charge attack until he runs into a wall, pummel him 'till he wakes up, repeat).

Mr Freeze battle is highlight of the series but el toro boss fights were exclusive to Asylum and didn't appear in the City at all (even boss fights like Grundy and Ras were different), ditching those was definitely a good call.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom