Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

buzz

Arcane
All the best action games EVER released, have clear patterns for their enemies options, even extreme fighting games, because as a hobby you do not have infinite time to study fucking AI patterns. At least not in an action game, strategy games I could understand.
And now you understand one reason why people want tactical turn-based combat with top-down/isometric perspective for their RPGs. Instead of twitchy action bullshit.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's a dozen people streaming Twitcher3 on twitch right now. You could go into any one of their streams and ask in chat. Odds are you'll get an answer if the question is gameplay-relevant.
I do not watch livestreams, and not just because I want to avoid spoilers.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You said you had no better sources of information. I gave you some information sources. It's up to you whether you want to use them. Nothing's stopping WhiskyWolf from doing the same.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't even want to add the first Witcher to the curator at first. I think they're pretty poor, overrated RPGs on the whole.

:bro:

Finally, someone to tell it like it is.

Also, to answer a question from above, real harcore rpg players don't preorder witcher 3. They pirate it. :lol:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
You said you had no better sources of information. I gave you some information sources. It's up to you whether you want to use them. Nothing's stopping WhiskyWolf from doing the same.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The probability of the Streamer actually seeing my question, in that chat spam, and actually answering is something like 0.001%

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The probability of the Streamer actually seeing my question, in that chat spam, and actually answering is something like 0.001%
True. That's why you go to one of the streams with fewer viewers instead of th eones with most viewers when you have a question.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Also, to answer a question from above, real harcore rpg players don't preorder witcher 3. They pirate it. :lol:

So what we can learn from this statement is that real, hard core, rpg players don't have any money or jobs.

CDPRs lead designers used to make cracks for old PC/Amiga games. GOG.com use stolen scene cracks to bypass copy protection on their old games. Think of it as paying homage.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I didn't even want to add the first Witcher to the curator at first. I think they're pretty poor, overrated RPGs on the whole.
/sigh
Why even drag TW1 into this? Combat system aside, it was a great game with well-written story and interesting characters.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Not realy,if they include sudden changes of combat styles,i put the emphasys on sudden because right now every game does the same thing ''You get the boss hp down to a certain level and he's changing the combat style or after every few swings''
I want the AI to be more versatile when it comes to combat style,to make attacks that could surprise you ,but i'm asking for too much.
So what you want is an enemy that you can not predict in anyway so that it kills you over and over again, with nothing you can do to adapt to it's pattern.....
:hmmm:
Can someone get the dumbfuck doctor.

I'm sorry but predicting is one and having the same pattern over and over is another...
And why the AI should be predictable again? What's the point of playing the game if you already learned the pattern of the enemy combat style?
The AI should be more adaptable,to be more aggresive or defensive in certain situation,not only when you get him at low health or because he swinged four times,rinse repeat

Look at this one,it's the same dumb move again and again...how is this revolutionary?

And please keep the dumbfuck consultation for yourself.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lel fuck you all, I liked TW2 combat, you're mostly just useless spergs when it comes to anything else than excel-sheeting your 40 years old RPG. There are many legitimate complaints to make about this game but the combat isn't one.
I liked it as well, but there are definitely complaints to be made about the combat. Rolling is way too effective for zero cost (I don't know if it actually gives invincibility frames, but in my experience you're unhittable for most of the animation, a brief period of vulnerability between rolls if spamming) and with the way Quen works means the player is far too safe at all times. Put Quen up, fight until you get hit, roll out until the stamina loss from Quen regens, recast, get back in the action. Also, distance sensitive attacks are awful at the best of times, I much prefer "forward + x for leaping stab, x for quick slash" to "x for leaping stab if 2m+ from target, x for quick slash if close". It just feels like a loss of control. It's especially bad considering the long distance attacks are mostly shit. Very slow, if the enemy steps forward and swings they will get the hit over you easy. I played around it, making sure to run in close for clicking at all times. Could say that it's a good thing as it made me consider each click as I really didn't want to end up in that awful animation and give the enemy free hits, but it obviously wasn't the devs intent :lol:. It wasn't so great at detecting range either I felt, would often do the superman stab (there was some kind of spin and step forward thing as well IIRC, maybe one was steel sword, one silver) even when standing on their toes. There were also those crap skills you got later that activated little cutscenes that killed off 1-3 on screen enemies, that was complete shit.

I did like that when fighting packs of enemies you really wanted to move to separate them and only attack when you knew you'd have one alone for a few seconds, as the other enemies would get straight in and take swings at you if they could, and any that landed on your back did massive damage (and your backstabs did as well). Even with Quen, 4 coming in and swinging could tear through it and land some blows. Made for some fun fights where I moved through pillars/trees to thin the herd before jumping in and landing a few hits while I kept an eye on the rest of the group then getting out as they closed in. And it wasn't like it was free hits on the guy once I had him alone, still had to get around an attack or stagger with a sign to create an opening, and there were some enemy types that I really didn't want to work on first in a pack (like shield wielders, who you'd want room/time to move around usually) so I was trying to make specific targets come out. But when I did end up surrounded it would just turn into spacebar spam (roll) while pushing for a gap, and it worked too often (if there were enough enemies they could actually trap you, nowhere to roll means you'll end a roll right in the patch of an attack eventually).

I was really hoping for some costs on rolling and a switch from distance sensitive attacks for Witcher 3, would definitely improve on Witcher 2. Seems rolling has stayed the same and I'd have to play it to see if the attacks at least feel better (better range detection, the long distance ones being something I'd actually want to happen).

DMC3 - Open world also would've been quite welcome for me :lol: .

Black

Arcane
Taking bets on when will it make to Klassified Kodex Kurator list.
Infinitron will add it within 5 minutes of launch pending the "official" 10/10 codex review.

Dude, wtf is your problem

I didn't even want to add the first Witcher to the curator at first. I think they're pretty poor, overrated RPGs on the whole. Unless this turns out to be the second coming of Gothic after all, it's not going up.
A bit too late for apologies, don't you think?

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Watched some guy playing on the youtube. On hard. Preety much what I saw:
- Plot is preety good so far. There are boobs. Side quest are actually somewhat interesting but that is what I will look at when I get the game.
- Fight is... uh. Witcher 2,5. Don't get me wrong, I'm fanboy of Witcher but fight in it suck. Big dick. VERY BIG. (Well, there are fight mods like full combat rebalance but I never used them)
- There are some bugs, but not so fucking lot. Game seems to be stable.
- There is downgrade, but it isn't so tragic. Really, watch some youtube movies or buy the game and compare it.
- Some minigames are fun: Gwint is preety cool, but I know that not everybody will like it. And fuck CD Project for deleting the dice poker. Fuck them hard. Horse racing is too easy. Boxing is... well... not QTE anymore. (Eh. It is preety much taste)
- Difficulty seems really too easy. Rolling is op. Quen is one time use shield now, but it don't broke if we attack. However enemy can attack in combos and fuck you up hard.
- Dialogues system is really same like in older games, time bar happends really only few times so far.
- There is atmosphere of the Witcher in this game. People do their shit around. I saw that if you steal you can get beaten, but it seems to be bugged. Very bugged. There are some interesting characters, english voice acting isn't so bad. Side quest add some to atmosphere. No more political main plot so far.
- Exploring is fun, it really reward the player. It isn't 'open' game but the sites of game are preety big. There are like 4-5 areas so far and they are preety big.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Karwelas

What do you mean by not open? Thought the world would be seamless, another dev lie?
Is it split sections like mmos?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Karwelas

What do you mean by not open? Thought the world would be seamless, another dev lie?

There are 4 zones separated by loading screens.

The world is not open, when you have a quest marker on the map and you see the place with your eyes and it is end of the map, you cannot get there, you will get to the end of the zone and geralt will turn back. You have to change zone to get there.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Karwelas

5 zones but they are pretty big,one of them is bigger than skyrim map ,or so i heard...
The zones are big don't worry about that,worry about them being empty as fuck

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think they aren't connected, not without fast travel or loading time. Here is the map of the world (How it look when you choose where to go.)
600px-Witcher3NovigradWorldMap.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
Star Wars Jedi Academy is still the game with best real time action combat combined with cool powers usage. Why cannot witcher just c/p that combat? They even got jedi like signs for witchers.

Perkel

Arcane
Karwelas

There are "zones" that fallows what story dictates. Later in the game they are all unlocked and two of them are legit huge so it isn't like DAI case where zones feels big but they last for few hours max and then you move to next.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is Dragon Age Inquisition all over again...

Edit:

Perkel hehe okay, Perkel, typed this before seeing your post

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay, thought it was one big area like in Skyrim or something similar :/

There are 2 main areas and smaller one is bigger than Skyrim, bigger one is nearly 2X Skyrims. This was known for a while like nearly over a year.
And skyrim had loading screens everywhere, main cities, caves and that underground city.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom