Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cadmus

Arcane
I you expect anything different from W2, you'll be disappointed. It will be the same, but in bigger quantity, to attract Skyrim crowd. Of course, full of obscene words and titties, which is as "mature" as a smoking 12 year old.

Hmpfff. Either you or me are confused as to what "mature" means. I don't get all this bickering about having tits in a game when it serves purely as a flavour to flesh out the more raw setting as opposed to Skyrim and such juvenile shit. It's tits, they are mostly depicted and sexualized on women past the teen age (due to morality/ethics/legal constraints) - that's mature. I personally don't give a fuck but I find TITS to be present in the everyday world of adults so my observation is that you are too fucking retarded and immature to see tits without immediately jerking off/crying because you can't jerk off cuz you're sharing a room with your mother. If you were as mature as you demand the game to be, you'd go..ah yes tits, nice, let's get to the next scene...
Fuck off and go play your walking simulators if you can't handle seeing naked bodies without making retarded posts about it - that's the least mature thing you could do. Hey or maybe you are some kind of puritan 60 year old, I don't know. Still an imbecile. How can it bother you? What the fuck? There are 3 options: 1) ingame tits are nice to look at 2) you don't care about ingame tits (which is fine and I feel this way) 3) you are a fucking moron and your brain overloads at the sight of tits thus you must complain you want a mature game without naked bodies depicted in a sexualized way because you want to escape the real world where people actually fuck.

And don't get me started on the remark about "obscene words" that's not even mature, that's just fucking normal. It again seems like you are requesting a vanila fantasy m'lady retardation that you can find everywhere else, so go fuck yourself you cocksucker.

W3 is set in Skellige, right? Slavicness will most likely be largely replaced by vague nordicness. SKYRUM!!

Didn´t the W2 already lose most of its slavicness?

I enjoyed both games although I don´t really like having to impersonate Geralt, after reading all books I seems to know how would he have acted and it kills the possibility to make different choices. You can make the alright but they would feel out of character so there´s no point. Don´t think that´s gonna change in the next game.

I still hope they won´t fuck it all up.

Yeah, W2 lost almost all of the slavic charm...almost. I enjoy playing Geralt because I like Geralt. I kinda understand that people would want to make a blank slate character, but imo there's plenty games for that and I don't see anyone complaining about TNO having a complicated background.

Last edited:

Declinator

Arbiter
I you expect anything different from W2, you'll be disappointed. It will be the same, but in bigger quantity, to attract Skyrim crowd. Of course, full of obscene words and titties, which is as "mature" as a smoking 12 year old.

Hmpfff. Either you or me are confused as to what "mature" means. I don't get all this bickering about having tits in a game when it serves purely as a flavour to flesh out the more raw setting as opposed to Skyrim and such juvenile shit. It's tits, they are mostly depicted and sexualized on women past the teen age (due to morality/ethics/legal constraints) - that's mature. I personally don't give a fuck but I find TITS to be present in the everyday world of adults so my observation is that you are too fucking retarded and immature to see tits without immediately jerking off/crying because you can't jerk off cuz you're sharing a room with your mother. If you were as mature as you demand the game to be, you'd go..ah yes tits, nice, let's get to the next scene...
Fuck off and go play your walking simulators if you can't handle seeing naked bodies without making retarded posts about it - that's the least mature thing you could do. Hey or maybe you are some kind of puritan 60 year old, I don't know. Still an imbecile. How can it bother you? What the fuck? There are 3 options: 1) ingame tits are nice to look at 2) you don't care about ingame tits (which is fine and I feel this way) 3) you are a fucking moron and your brain overloads at the sight of tits thus you must complain you want a mature game without naked bodies depicted in a sexualized way because you want to escape the real world where people actually fuck.

I am personally fine with seeing breasts and nudity, no problem there if it is appropriate for the scene. The problem for me in Witcher 1 and to a lesser extent in Witcher 2 is the way the women throw themselves at Geralt after exchanging a couple of sentences. This easily happens even inadvertently and if there were only a few of these and they were portrayed as the easy kind of women it would be fine. When every other even slightly central female character does it? It's not mature, in fact it is kind of juvenile.

Sex and nudity is not automatically mature except of course from the perspective of who is supposedly allowed to see it. The way Witcher 1 dealth with it is frankly only very slightly above the way Bioware does it which is of course obviously adolescent.

W3 is set in Skellige, right? Slavicness will most likely be largely replaced by vague nordicness. SKYRUM!!

I enjoyed both games although I don´t really like having to impersonate Geralt, after reading all books I seems to know how would he have acted and it kills the possibility to make different choices. You can make the alright but they would feel out of character so there´s no point. Don´t think that´s gonna change in the next game.

Yeah, W2 lost almost all of the slavic charm...almost. I enjoy playing Geralt because I like Geralt. I kinda understand that people would want to make a blank slate character, but imo there's plenty games for that and I don't see anyone complaining about TNO having a complicated background.

TNO is practically speaking a blank slate. His personality and memory are reset and you get to define his newest personality.

subotaiy

Cipher

And don't get me started on the remark about "obscene words" that's not even mature, that's just fucking normal. It again seems like you are requesting a vanila fantasy m'lady retardation that you can find everywhere else, so go fuck yourself you cocksucker.

Now we're talking. Also ignored you, so you can stop spewing that garbage unless it makes you feel better.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Yeah, they're shitty games.

I won't go so far as to call them "shitty" but they really weren't spectacular either. Whenever I sit down to play through The Witcher it feels like a goddamn chore. I still haven't managed to finish it, and I've owned the goddamn game for like six years now.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I am personally fine with seeing breasts and nudity, no problem there if it is appropriate for the scene. The problem for me in Witcher 1 and to a lesser extent in Witcher 2 is the way the women throw themselves at Geralt after exchanging a couple of sentences. This easily happens even inadvertently and if there were only a few of these and they were portrayed as the easy kind of women it would be fine. When every other even slightly central female character does it? It's not mature, in fact it is kind of juvenile.
It was obviously juvenile, and almost certainly on purpose. I don't think there was any kind of a problem with it either. Boning all those random bimbos was just humorous, and the women who were supposed to be taken more seriously (e.g. Triss, Shani, Carmen) were portrayed in a quite different light (i.e. not as total sluts). They went a bit overboard at times, like with the Lady of the Lake, but wanting to be "mature" probably had nothing to do with it. If you want to look for the mature side of the game, you'd probably be better off examining things like the writing, politics and the general wretchedness of characters and the game world, because those are the areas where they actually try to explore mature themes. Dwarf cock -sucking mothers and boobs are the light-hearted stuff that prevents the games from sliding too far into the grimdark zone.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

This here is one hot potato.

:yeah:

Xbalanque

Educated

Of course, but I don't really remember playing a book character. And, I don't know, I kind of like the idea of him staying dead and exploring some other history where he is just part of the backstory.

The W2 was a bit better this way because choosing between Roche and this other dude was not as obvious, although the shitty part was that it very much forced you to decide.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Maturity? What this word means? Everyone has a diferent definition for the word and those definitions always conveniently fit the prejudices of those talking. I see people accusing the Witcher 1 and 2 for being immature because they show titties. Give me a break... In the Witcher 1, it is implied that Geralt already had a "colourful friendship" as people say here in Brazil with Shani and Triss for some time, those are portrayed as intelligent women that already had a relationship with him, it isn't as if the women just met him out of nowhere.

The other women he finds are easy women or women that just want to use him. Princess Ada fucking use you like a toy and throw you away when she loses interest in you. In none of those relationships Geralt had any power and was more of a sex object, women basicaly used him like an oversized vibrator, the same way everyone tried to manipulate him in the second game to get their objectives. Geralt couldn't even really trust in Triss as she openly betrays him with the Temeria king because it is convenient for her .Those women characters understand their sexuality and try to manipulate Geralt in all sorts of ways.On the second game, Triss knew of the plot of the other sorceress to kill the Northern kings but just told that shit to Geralt when it was convenient for her, you can't really trust one single word she says. I think on this aspect the game was quite mature, women were after their own interests, if Geralt fitted, great, if not he was thrown away like it is on most cases on the real world.

Actually, what I think is immature is portraying women as dumb bitches that are only after their prince that is going to be their true romantic love for all eternity like Bioware do. Women and men have their own interests, those women in the game wanted sex the same as Geralt/player and I really love how people just shift from one biased point of view to another biased point of view, if women liked sex they usually were sluts and men were just being man, now, if women like sex they are empowered women , if men like sex, they are immature. Why don't people just accept that everybody likes to fuck and there is no problem in it.

Bonerbill

Augur

Now we're talking. Also ignored you, so you can stop spewing that garbage unless it makes you feel better.

While that guy is being overly vulgar, I have to agree with him on one thing. You're an idiot with bad taste, and the fact that you had to use the ignore system proves how childish you are. So.....stop posing please.

Telengard

Arcane
Maturity? What this word means? Everyone has a diferent definition for the word and those definitions always conveniently fit the prejudices of those talking. I see people accusing the Witcher 1 and 2 for being immature because they show titties. Give me a break... In the Witcher 1, it is implied that Geralt already had a "colourful friendship" as people say here in Brazil with Shani and Triss for some time, those are portrayed as intelligent women that already had a relationship with him, it isn't as if the women just met him out of nowhere.

The other women he finds are easy women or women that just want to use him. Princess Ada fucking use you like a toy and throw you away when she loses interest in you. In none of those relationships Geralt had any power and was more of a sex object, women basicaly used him like an oversized vibrator, the same way everyone tried to manipulate him in the second game to get their objectives. Geralt couldn't even really trust in Triss as she openly betrays him with the Temeria king because it is convenient for her .Those women characters understand their sexuality and try to manipulate Geralt in all sorts of ways.On the second game, Triss knew of the plot of the other sorceress to kill the Northern kings but just told that shit to Geralt when it was convenient for her, you can't really trust one single word she says. I think on this aspect the game was quite mature, women were after their own interests, if Geralt fitted, great, if not he was thrown away like it is on most cases on the real world.

Actually, what I think is immature is portraying women as dumb bitches that are only after their prince that is going to be their true romantic love for all eternity like Bioware do. Women and men have their own interests, those women in the game wanted sex the same as Geralt/player and I really love how people just shift from one biased point of view to another biased point of view, if women liked sex they usually were sluts and men were just being man, now, if women like sex they are empowered women , if men like sex, they are immature. Why don't people just accept that everybody likes to fuck and there is no problem in it.
In terms of entertainment, and its reflection upon relationships, there is a defined set of maturity levels. There's the grade school level, where there is no such thing a sex. There's middle school, biowarian, twilight level, where a person can bridge any gap and have a romantic relationship with anything if they just believe hard enough. Then there's high school, cinimax, witcher level (male version), where guys walk around and as soon as they see a good skirt, I want to hit that, hey chickie-babie, oh yeah, bum-chicka-wow-woow - huh huh, titties. Then there's the mature level, where relationships are more complex than one thing. Where different people make different choices based upon a variety of factors, including differing wants and personalities. And where things like sex diseases exist.

Witcher isn't considered immature because it has titties. It's considered immature because of the vapid, unartistic, unnuanced way it made use of its (lack of) characters and titties.

Quatlo

Arcane
But bewbs and women are supposed to be collectibles in the game, it fits the stupidly too-dark too-gritty setting very well, and since book relationships Geralt had weren't any better (Yennefer cuckolding him constantly, that shit made me cringe)
At least they stick to the source material, right?

Murk

Arcane
The books (all two that I've read) do a decent job of framing all characters (male and female) as overly sexual. Cuz nerds read it and they need their titillation.

The game only shows Geralt so while it is still true to the source, it appears weird because of the lack of context. Tho you did get to shank A CERTAIN MALE CHARACTER while he was railing some waif guy

CGI tits are so stupid tho; it just doesn't really add anything to the game. Did boning Ves give any consequences? No? Why even have it? Power-fantasy Pandering? Gotcha. Video game sex was dumb since, well, ever. In Gothic 2 (at least fade to black), in Dragon Age or Mass Effect (tho at least in those games the character models all look like they are covered in vaseline and thus pre-lubed), or in Witcher.

Xbalanque

Educated
The books (all two that I've read) do a decent job of framing all characters (male and female) as overly sexual. Cuz nerds read it and they need their titillation.

The game only shows Geralt so while it is still true to the source, it appears weird because of the lack of context. Tho you did get to shank A CERTAIN MALE CHARACTER while he was railing some waif guy

CGI tits are so stupid tho; it just doesn't really add anything to the game. Did boning Ves give any consequences? No? Why even have it? Power-fantasy Pandering? Gotcha. Video game sex was dumb since, well, ever. In Gothic 2 (at least fade to black), in Dragon Age or Mass Effect (tho at least in those games the character models all look like they are covered in vaseline and thus pre-lubed), or in Witcher.

Does everything in the RPGs have to have consequences? I mean if you sleep with a prostitute you have to get some STD or otherwise it will not make sense? The sex may be the element of immersion and making the game believable (last time I checked they did it actually). The other problems is that Witcher does a horribe job and turns women into cards to collect.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Does everything in the RPGs have to have consequences?
For it to be part of the game. If there is no reaction there is no game.

I mean if you sleep with a prostitute you have to get some STD or otherwise it will not make sense?
Who said anything about making sense? Nice strawman.

The sex may be the element of immersion and making the game believable (last time I checked they did it actually).
If it's just a background detail to add immersion, why does the player need input into it?

The other problems is that Witcher does a horribe job and turns women into cards to collect.
This is intrinsically linked to not having any consequences other than boob cards.

Xbalanque

Educated
Ok, sleeping with Ves should bring at least some consequences. But I don't think that every sex scene should do it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember any consequences of sleeping with a prostitute in fallout 2 or Arcanum. Of course, it would be even better if instead you could choose to talk to him/her and get to know some other character every time you do it.

The oversexualisation of Witcher was the problem all the time. I mean even without the sex scenes, how a game which tries to recreate the game (hello Freud) world created in books transform an always decent dressed Triss into boob-showing gal?

Ninjerk

Arcane

I cringed during the elven ruins sex scene in W2. The only thing I could think of during the whole scene was, "Is this really what the designers think sex is like?"

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You earn various traits for having sex in Fallout 2 and they affect how people treat you.

Xbalanque

Educated
I thought it realted only to the porn movie. Fair enough, makes more sense now. I guess it's high time I came back to it.

Maybe cards as a consequence of sex was what actually the RPG Redefined meant back in the day.

Quatlo

Arcane
Does everything in the RPGs have to have consequences?

Pretty much. Modern crpgs went that far that no matter what dialogue option you choose the response from the npc is the same. I'm not saying that there should be some big consequences, but at least make some npc somewhere acknowlegde one of your actions. Bethesda games come to mind, where you enter warriors guild as a well known archmage/asassin and they order you to kill rats while laughing at you how shit you are.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Xbalanque It's not that sleeping with Ves has to have major gameplay concerns, but for half the game you are 1) chasing after the memory of your former girlfriend who you sacrificed yourself for and also 2) chasing after your current girlfriend who is using you/keeping secrets about the conspiracy.

It seems that 'women' play a big role, so fucking a random hooker - who cares, but fucking Ves who (if you side with Roche) is supposed to be one of your bros (and even fights you in the arena) should have some bearing, even if only with some additional dialog. Tho I do recall Dandelion saying something but it seemed pretty.... blah.

Point is, why have shit in a game if it doesn't serve a purpose? "fleshes out the world and makes it believable" -- meehhhhhh not really. It just seemed like adolescent fulfillment to me. But I will admit, this is a question of taste/opinion so whatever. The cgi boobs doesn't make me dislike the game -- it does make me dislike (small) parts of the game.

Xbalanque

Educated
Xbalanque It's not that sleeping with Ves has to have major gameplay concerns, but for half the game you are 1) chasing after the memory of your former girlfriend who you sacrificed yourself for and also 2) chasing after your current girlfriend who is using you/keeping secrets about the conspiracy.

It seems that 'women' play a big role, so fucking a random hooker - who cares, but fucking Ves who (if you side with Roche) is supposed to be one of your bros (and even fights you in the arena) should have some bearing, even if only with some additional dialog. Tho I do recall Dandelion saying something but it seemed pretty.... blah.

Point is, why have shit in a game if it doesn't serve a purpose? "fleshes out the world and makes it believable" -- meehhhhhh not really. It just seemed like adolescent fulfillment to me. But I will admit, this is a question of taste/opinion so whatever. The cgi boobs doesn't make me dislike the game -- it does make me dislike (small) parts of the game.

Ok, I mixed the W1 and W2, sorry for that. I does not make any sense to do it like they have done it in both games.

As to the adolescent fullfilment - maybe that was the purpose. I just remember being 17 or something while playing W1 and chuckling with friends with every card you get. The again, it kills all the other 'mature' parts of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom