Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Appropriate discussion on page 69.

Xbalanque

Educated
It's like sex scenes in adventure films like Bond, Cutthroat Island etc.
Bingo. I don't like Twicher at all, but i always found the sex complaints strange. Gerald is the James Bond of that universe, doing cool things, kicking ass and having women thrown themselves at him.
Complaining this is unrealistic, gratuitous, or masturbation material only is missing the point.

I left alone the BSN-Kotaku complaints that this is sexist. There are many men IRL that women like them, basicaly are throwing themselves at them and have absolutely no problem geting fucked by them. Sosial Justice Virgin-Wariors should just deal with it
but that would require them to accept they are ugly fat faggots

If Geralt is supposed to be James Bond that it will never be realistic. Of course, the books had lots of sex in it but the is a difference between developing a character and a believable relation between two of them which may end up in sex (be it a very casual relation - you look nice, let´s fuck or more complicated) and just adding a sex scene to make t more superficially mature.

eremita

Savant
It's like sex scenes in adventure films like Bond, Cutthroat Island etc.
Bingo. I don't like Twicher at all, but i always found the sex complaints strange. Gerald is the James Bond of that universe, doing cool things, kicking ass and having women thrown themselves at him.
Complaining this is unrealistic, gratuitous, or masturbation material only is missing the point.

I left alone the BSN-Kotaku complaints that this is sexist. There are many men IRL that women like them, basicaly are throwing themselves at them and have absolutely no problem geting fucked by them. Sosial Justice Virgin-Wariors should just deal with it
but that would require them to accept they are ugly fat faggots
No, I was talking about DA2. Witcher is in no way exaggerated, adventure-like like mentioned movies, but grim and dark, often trying to simulate real world problems. Thus, the sex scenes in Witcher 2 are also supposed to be mature and real... Well, they are not exactly that, but you can at least tell that that was the intention.

That is why bitching about the sex cards in first witcher was justified - it didn't fit the serious tone. Even in the books, Geralt is not fucking other women in Bond-like manner. And he's not cool (kicking ass and shit) because he's James Bond of the universe, but because he's a superhuman. You see the difference? He's not cool because "why the fuck not, this shit is all about goofing around"...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No James Bond movie or video game has had to show tits to get the sex appeal power fantasy across.

Potatos are less subtle than James freaking Bond.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I think the lack of subtlety is what is truly annoying about it. That's what make it feel like a 15 year old's fantasy about boobies.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Witcher is in no way exaggerated, adventure-like like mentioned movies, but grim and dark, often trying to simulate real world problems. Thus, the sex scenes in Witcher 2 are also supposed to be mature and real...
The second part is a non sequitur, the first part is mostly just wrong.

The Witcher has a ton of elements from light-hearted fantasy and adventure literature. Many of Sapkowski's short stories are filled with over-the-top fantasy stuff that you could never see in, say, A Song of Ice and Fire, and his writing style reminds me quite a bit of certain adventure books (although that might be partly due to the translation). Even the games have characters like Dandelion, Kalkstein and Siegfried who are borderline comic reliefs that are just played perfectly straight. There are quests where Geralt gets piss drunk, fist fights a 100-year-old hermit or collects feathers for this guy. It's a setting where serious themes constantly collide with ridiculous characters or events, and its strength is that it manages to do it without collapsing on itself. That is, until someone sees a pair of boobs and decides that tits surely are the straw that broke the camel's back.

eremita

Savant
Witcher is in no way exaggerated, adventure-like like mentioned movies, but grim and dark, often trying to simulate real world problems. Thus, the sex scenes in Witcher 2 are also supposed to be mature and real...
The second part is a non sequitur, the first part is mostly just wrong.

The Witcher has a ton of elements from light-hearted fantasy and adventure literature. Many of Sapkowski's short stories are filled with over-the-top fantasy stuff that you could never see in, say, A Song of Ice and Fire, and his writing style reminds me quite a bit of certain adventure books (although that might be partly due to the translation). Even the games have characters like Dandelion, Kalkstein and Siegfried who are borderline comic reliefs that are just played perfectly straight. There are quests where Geralt gets piss drunk, fist fights a 100-year-old hermit or collects feathers for this guy. It's a setting where serious themes constantly collide with ridiculous characters or events, and its strength is that it manages to do it without collapsing on itself. That is, until someone sees a pair of boobs and decides that tits surely are the straw that broke the camel's back.
No, it's not non sequitur. If A is dark then a subset of A is also dark. Or in case of coherent visual narrative, "should be"... It's the same reason why I hate all those fucking Legolas/Gimli scenes in LOTR trilogy.

You're right about the short stories tough, some of them truly are light-hearted. But I was talking more about the pentalogy, in which Sapkowski tries more coherent approach. In case of short stories, it feels like he just did whatever came to his mind, or rather, whatever he felt to do...

Well, real life is also filled with funny people and funny situations. I never felt that Dandelion (in the books) was some kind of comic relief. He was fucking around, sure, but every time his somehow bohemian personality was confronted with every day reality of Sapkowski's world, I actually felt sorry for him... As for the games, you're talking more about the first one, which I criticized for its goofy parts. There's much less of that in the second game and I think it's better that way (sure, there's the feather collector, but even authors said that this was Easter Egg, just like the Assassin's Creed guy in the Prologue). Drunk Geralt didn't felt out of place, the game is not humorless after all... There's just not much scenes in Indiana Jones/Bond style. Maybe that's why it manages to evade collapsing on itself?

Last edited:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Yeah, W2 lost almost all of the slavic charm...almost. I enjoy playing Geralt because I like Geralt. I kinda understand that people would want to make a blank slate character, but imo there's plenty games for that and I don't see anyone complaining about TNO having a complicated background.

Of course, but I don't really remember playing a book character. And, I don't know, I kind of like the idea of him staying dead and exploring some other history where he is just part of the backstory.

The W2 was a bit better this way because choosing between Roche and this other dude was not as obvious, although the shitty part was that it very much forced you to decide.

Those of you fuckers who read the books till the end should know that there was NO conclusive story for Geralt (or for Yennefer). And I am kind of happy that it was spotted by the devs.

If Sapkowski is clever, he should start a new serie with Ciri as a protagonist with just vague references to Geralt. What's "in-between" can be covered by games (with Geralt or other fresh character)...

Being on the top and rich and full of booze, Sapkowski signs 20 million$ contract for the next-next-next gen trilogy about Ciri in time/space/underwater/reptilianoverlords universe and then he dies (obviously without fulfilling the obligations). :mhd::troll:

Last edited:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I don't remember the dialogs, but her story was good (until the point where she start jumping through time). I kind of liked her transformations from the helpless, abused child to mean bully (with moral reservations - granted!).

Cadmus

Arcane
Yeah, W2 lost almost all of the slavic charm...almost. I enjoy playing Geralt because I like Geralt. I kinda understand that people would want to make a blank slate character, but imo there's plenty games for that and I don't see anyone complaining about TNO having a complicated background.

Of course, but I don't really remember playing a book character. And, I don't know, I kind of like the idea of him staying dead and exploring some other history where he is just part of the backstory.

The W2 was a bit better this way because choosing between Roche and this other dude was not as obvious, although the shitty part was that it very much forced you to decide.

Those of you fuckers who read the books till the end should know that there was NO conclusive story for Geralt (or for Yennefer). And I am kind of happy that it was spotted by the devs.

If Sapkowski is clever, he should start a new serie with Ciri as a protagonist with just vague references to Geralt. What's "in-between" can be covered by games (with Geralt or other fresh character)...

Being on the top and rich and full of booze, Sapkowski signs 20 million$ contract for the next-next-next gen trilogy about Ciri in time/space/underwater/reptilianoverlords universe and then he dies (obviously without fulfilling the obligations). :mhd::troll:
I read all of it but to be honest I don't remember much from the novels. I think I remember he died but then there was a Ciri's wedding scene somewhere in the books so I don't know how it ended. I only know there was a big twist that I didn't understand right away cuz I had forgotten half the characters' names.

Gerrard

Arcane
I am hoping they include some reference to Season of Storms epilogue in that extended time. Geralt's monologue ("Mówią, że postęp rozjaśnia mroki...") would be awesome.

Murk

Arcane
ermagaddd guys spoilers (for books that will probably never get translated to english)!

Gerrard

Arcane
You mean kind of like the entire story of the books was spoiled in the first game in one conversation with an innkeeper?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
No, it's not non sequitur. If A is dark then a subset of A is also dark.
I kind of tried to say that "grim and dark" is actually the subset.

Well, real life is also filled with funny people and funny situations. I never felt that Dandelion (in the books) was some kind of comic relief. He was fucking around, sure, but every time his somehow bohemian personality was confronted with every day reality of Sapkowski's world, I actually felt sorry for him...
I agree. Many of Sapkowski's characters have some goofy characteristics, but they're still portrayed in a serious light. It probably wouldn't work in a dead-serious setting.

As for the games, you're talking more about the first one, which I criticized for its goofy parts. There's much less of that in the second game and I think it's better that way (sure, there's the feather collector, but even authors said that this was Easter Egg, just like the Assassin's Creed guy in the Prologue).
Well, you mentioned the sex cards, so I brought up TW1. I don't think the sex cards felt out-of-place there, but neither did the sex scenes in TW2. I'd say that especially the scenes with Triss were perfectly justified for establishing the relationship between her and Geralt. Whether or not it was tastefully done probably comes down to personal taste.

Drunk Geralt didn't felt out of place, the game is not humorless after all...
I agree, but I don't really see why Geralt wanting to cross a river on whores' asses in alright, but Geralt banging those same whores in a cutscene somehow goes against the tone of the game.

eremita

Savant
No, it's not non sequitur. If A is dark then a subset of A is also dark.
I kind of tried to say that "grim and dark" is actually the subset.

Well, real life is also filled with funny people and funny situations. I never felt that Dandelion (in the books) was some kind of comic relief. He was fucking around, sure, but every time his somehow bohemian personality was confronted with every day reality of Sapkowski's world, I actually felt sorry for him...
I agree. Many of Sapkowski's characters have some goofy characteristics, but they're still portrayed in a serious light. It probably wouldn't work in a dead-serious setting.

As for the games, you're talking more about the first one, which I criticized for its goofy parts. There's much less of that in the second game and I think it's better that way (sure, there's the feather collector, but even authors said that this was Easter Egg, just like the Assassin's Creed guy in the Prologue).
Well, you mentioned the sex cards, so I brought up TW1. I don't think the sex cards felt out-of-place there, but neither did the sex scenes in TW2. I'd say that especially the scenes with Triss were perfectly justified for establishing the relationship between her and Geralt. Whether or not it was tastefully done probably comes down to personal taste.

Drunk Geralt didn't felt out of place, the game is not humorless after all...
I agree, but I don't really see why Geralt wanting to cross a river on whores' asses in alright, but Geralt banging those same whores in a cutscene somehow goes against the tone of the game.
It's not about the sex cards per se (Those are meta after all - they're for the player, Geralt is not the one collecting them... Nevertheless, it's fucking juvenille), but about the sex encounters and what leads to them; there's often no reason for sex, it's completely out of place; for example, Abigail was almost killed by the angry villagers, but she imediately wants to bang you. Because you just saved her. So it's a reward. Same thing with the Vampire ladies - it's fucking nonsensical and again, it's a reward... So there you have a depiction of women as purely sexual objects, a quest givers whose reward for you is being your sex doll, no matter how nonsensical it is in that particular situation. You may argue that Geralt from the books was also manwhore, but it always made sense there. I remember a peasant girl who was horny and wanted him the first second she saw him, but it was during the war, there were no men in the village and he was always portrayed as someone exotic for simple folks and more importantly, someone very dark... What I'm saying is that fucking is never purposeless in the books (Geralt only fucks other women when he's pissed at Yennefer after all), while iit is in the first game. But no in the second (okay, maybe the Succubus and She-elf).

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It's not about the sex cards per se (Those are meta after all - they're for the player, Geralt is not the one collecting them... Nevertheless, it's fucking juvenille), but about the sex encounters and what leads to them; there's often no reason for sex, it's completely out of place; for example, Abigail was almost killed by the angry villagers, but she imediately wants to bang you. Because you just saved her. So it's a reward. Same thing with the Vampire ladies - it's fucking nonsensical and again, it's a reward....
Abigail doesn't reward you with sex, she tries to persuade Geralt to protect her before the angry villagers get to her. You can even bring that up as an argument against Abigail when you talk to the angry mob shortly afterwards. The vampire chicks similarly have their backs against the wall and try to use their best assets to manipulate Geralt into taking their side. Those are hardly very good examples.

Xbalanque

Educated
It's not about the sex cards per se (Those are meta after all - they're for the player, Geralt is not the one collecting them... Nevertheless, it's fucking juvenille), but about the sex encounters and what leads to them; there's often no reason for sex, it's completely out of place; for example, Abigail was almost killed by the angry villagers, but she imediately wants to bang you. Because you just saved her. So it's a reward. Same thing with the Vampire ladies - it's fucking nonsensical and again, it's a reward....
Abigail doesn't reward you with sex, she tries to persuade Geralt to protect her before the angry villagers get to her. You can even bring that up as an argument against Abigail when you talk to the angry mob shortly afterwards. The vampire chicks similarly have their backs against the wall and try to use their best assets to manipulate Geralt into taking their side. Those are hardly very good examples.

So the sex is their best asset. we´re running circles.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
TW1 cards should be back, but the most difficult to get should portrait Geralt's limp cock and female unsatisfied face. That would teach them, scorning on nice hand-drawn portraits...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom