Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Is it anything to do with the fact that they also are publisher (for local market)?
Yes, without it there was no way they could survive the constant, never-ending parade of publisher dicking.

And even with that they were close to breaking.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So.... a Developer who makes dumbed down action games with a slapped on RPG label.... fights hard to be independent of Publishers who like dumbed down action games with RPG slapped on the label... OK. Sounds like a colossal waste of time and money.... Poland gonna pole I guess...

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess the Witcher games, being what they are, could also have been much worse if publishers like, for example Deep Silver or EA would have had their sticky fingers all over them.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess it makes it quite a bit worse, that the action focus and undeep gameplay of the series is a personal choice, and not at all publisher meddling of any kind.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
So.... a Developer who makes dumbed down action games with a slapped on RPG label.... fights hard to be independent of Publishers who like dumbed down action games with RPG slapped on the label... OK. Sounds like a colossal waste of time and money.... Poland gonna pole I guess...

Keep them coming, you haven't posted this even anywhere near enough yet.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun was the runner up for the lifetime achievement award for sarcastic dismissals.

Of course, he was closer to being last than beating Excidium.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I feel like ragging on the cargo cult potato mentality. Last year they released the title track to Witcher 3

k96o1j.png

Why is there clipping in an orchestral track? Do they think this song's going to get heavy rotation on the radio? Cargo cult loudness war. They don't understand why it has to be excessively loud, they just know that's what westerners do to their music. Usually not to video game soundtracks or soundtracks in general.

Sodafish

Arcane
Actually the loudness war is more about compression/aggressive peak limiting and that waveform doesn't look very compressed at all. There's some clipping but really quite mild compared with most music today.

Behold true horror:

f8u918x.jpg

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

The truth hurts. Witcher games aren't distinguishable from AAA popamole.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

The truth hurts. Witcher games aren't distinguishable from AAA popamole.

Maybe, maybe not. But Jaesun coming into this thread to shitpost on a regular basis saying the same thing over and over again has to be one of the most ridiculous case of, idk, butthurt of some kind on this site.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Maybe, maybe not. But Jaesun coming into this thread to shitpost on a regular basis saying the same thing over and over again has to be one of the most ridiculous case of, idk, butthurt of some kind on this site.

What specifically does The Witcher do to advance the genre or make it an incredible CRPG? Boobie cards? Action combat? Meaningless choice and consequences?

Did I miss something when I played the first Witcher?

Data4

Arcane

What specifically does The Witcher do to advance the genre or make it an incredible CRPG? Boobie cards? Action combat? Meaningless choice and consequences?

It's a subjectively good game. Why do all games have to be genre-pushing? It is possible to put the same-old into a new arrangement and still churn out something enjoyable. Not everything that comes out has to be harder, better, faster, stronger than that which came before.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's a subjectively good game. Why do all games have to be genre-pushing? It is possible to put the same-old into a new arrangement and still churn out something enjoyable. Not everything that comes out has to be harder, better, faster, stronger than that which came before.

What specifically makes the Witcher such an amazing cRPG?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Good story, decent characters, decent combat, nice visuals, unique atmosphere. Some nice C&C (even if there were meaningless ones). I think many Codex favourite games didn'T have more going for it either.

Not amazing, but quite good.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Boob cards and that's the truth.

Data4

Arcane

Well, bearing in mind the word "subjectively" I used, I liked the story and the music. Some of the questlines were interesting to me. The game sucked up a good 60 hours in playtime, and I don't regret a bit of it. Like the others said, not amazing or particularly groundbreaking, just an enjoyable and entertaining gameplay experience. <shrug> I'm not trying to sell it.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Immersive shops which sell something beyond the items immediately needed? Building, you know, reality of the gameworld?
Add to that the bribing/persuasion system allowing you to use money, gifts (which often had an alternative use, so you werent't 100% sure you wanted to spend them this way) or to flaunt your affiliation with a faction in certain cases.

Also, the choices and consequences were meainngful in several cases, ergo you are full of shit. Case in point: the Coleman situation, and shit like sparing/killing the witch in Act I affecting the resolution of your main quest in Act IV.
Sure, they could have gone further with some stuff, like creating more mutant hound encounters if you allowed the laboratory to be ransacked in the prologue, but I can live with that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you're a native English speaker with any kind of grammar sensitivity the Witcher translation really ruins the story. It's pretty bad, even in the enhanced edition.

That said the mature tone comes across alright, and the world is very well constructed. The quests are alright. The graphics still hold up. It's not explorefag but it's fun to be in that world, Witchering it up.

Akratus

Patron
I think the worst part of the Witcher 1 is the combat. The stances are cool, but there simply isn't any maneuverability. That's like combat 101.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

It's always nice to have creative freedom regardless of the genre/type of game you're making. If publishers were overseeing the Witcher 2 for example I doubt that the 2nd act would have been completely different depending on the choice you make (players have to to experience all the game content in one go and all that drivel) and likely some of the game's content would have been toned down to be more politically correct (God, I loathe that term).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So people...who hates action rpg.... comes to action rpg threads.... fights hard to remove action games being labelled rpg..... OK.
Sounds like a colossal waste of time and effort.... Faggots gonna fag I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom