Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let us all salute CDProjektRed for fighting so strongly, for lesbomancy. :salute:

Gaysuns just butthurt cuz there were no cock cards to be collected.

I think he'd be more butthurt if there were.
haha gay jokes

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Heart, soul, and if it sang the blues you'd want to listen.

Beats me why a ME-series fan would want to bash the Witcher so much (unless it's strictly about gameplay, ignoring ME the first). "But I don't think those are RPGs" he says, yeah well they're all marketed as such and all allow you to define your character's somewhat-predefined personality to some extent through in-game choices that affect the narrative (even if that means acknowledging your choice while railroading you to the same result).

Actually the loudness war is more about compression/aggressive peak limiting and that waveform doesn't look very compressed at all. There's some clipping but really quite mild compared with most music today.
Cargo cult.
Behold true horror:
Is that from Iggy Pop's remix of Raw Power? All the tracks are equally absurd.

Rake

Arcane
Heart, soul, and if it sang the blues you'd want to listen.

Beats me why a ME-series fan would want to bash the Witcher so much (unless it's strictly about gameplay, ignoring ME the first). "But I don't think those are RPGs" he says, yeah well they're all marketed as such and all allow you to define your character's somewhat-predefined personality to some extent through in-game choices that affect the narrative (even if that means acknowledging your choice while railroading you to the same result).
Wait, Jaesun is a ME fan??? :retarded:

Rake

Arcane
It just is strange. Bashing Twitchers all the time because they are action games for consoles while being fine with ME which has EXACTLY THE SAME flaws, just with worse story/characters strikes my as hypocritical.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
English is the superior language and the true communication venue for all real men. The British built an empire speaking English, and then after they graciously stepped down the Americans took over. I think that is proof enough that English is God's Chosen Language. :smug:

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Though I will go on record saying that British rhyming slang is the absolute worst thing to ever hit human ears.

Gerrard

Arcane
If you're a native English speaker with any kind of grammar sensitivity the Witcher translation really ruins the story. It's pretty bad, even in the enhanced edition.
Not to mention that it still cuts out a lot of dialogue. Has no one attempted making a better unofficial translation?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
If you're a native English speaker with any kind of grammar sensitivity the Witcher translation really ruins the story. It's pretty bad, even in the enhanced edition.
Not to mention that it still cuts out a lot of dialogue. Has no one attempted making a better unofficial translation?

Translating games isn't exactly a walk in the park.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

That said the mature tone comes across alright, and the world is very well constructed. The quests are alright. The graphics still hold up. It's not explorefag but it's fun to be in that world, Witchering it up.
How so? I am not a native speaker but the enhanced edition did not sound glaringly wrong. I think there were 7 or 8 instances at most at which I heard something that was not translated properly. Can you remember any specific examples? (I know this is a hard request but one or two instances will do). I am genuinely interested since I played the game a long time ago and I thought they did a good job (I liked the dialogues in the first a lot more than in the second).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How so? I am not a native speaker but the enhanced edition did not sound glaringly wrong. I think there were 7 or 8 instances at most at which I heard something that was not translated properly. Can you remember any specific examples? (I know this is a hard request but one or two instances will do). I am genuinely interested since I played the game a long time ago and I thought they did a good job (I liked the dialogues in the first a lot more than in the second).
The translation was pretty terrible. I'm not sure a single dialog sounds natural. A lot of this is due to the mixing too. There are a lot of pauses and stuff they should have been able to clean up. For one example of something sounds totally out of place, near the beginning the head Witcher calls Triss "our babe sorceress". The conversations with Zoltan, Dandilion, and Kalkstein were usually bad.

I would disagree that it ruined the story though.

Copper

Savant
Well, the Witcher is certainly a far better use of the Aurora engine than anything Obsidian managed to pull off, once you get used to the controls. Whereas I was still fighting NWN2 into MotB.

Tytus

Arcane
Well, the Witcher is certainly a far better use of the Aurora engine than anything Obsidian managed to pull off, once you get used to the controls. Whereas I was still fighting NWN2 into MotB.

Wasn't NWN2 using Electron?

Dermi

Novice
Wasn't NWN2 using Electron?

Depends how you look at it. Electron is either the name Obsidian gave theirs upgraded Aurora or just the name for the new renderer they introduced (never found definitive which version is correct). Still, both engines are heavily modified Aurora at their core.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The Witcher used a heavily modified version of the Aurora Engine. In the making of videos, they say they've modified it up to 75% or something.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
The Witcher used a heavily modified version of the Aurora Engine, which ran off kielbasa and sauerkraut and Zywiec.

Tytus

Arcane
The Witcher used a heavily modified version of the Aurora Engine, which ran off kielbasa and sauerkraut and Zywiec.

You are forgetting about pierogies and a large amount of onion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom