Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher is popamole

Twinkle

Liturgist
heavan1.png

Micmu

Magister
Volourn said:
"And as far as Action-RPGs go it had the best combat."

Bullshit. There's like 1000 ActionRPgs with better combat than TW.
Volourn tells the truth, this time.

TW's combat is simply a shitbrained fuckfest. Whoever said that it has the "best ARPG combat" is a colossal moron who hasn't touched a *single* ARPG before.*

*- well maybe except dung lords/siege

deranged

Cipher
micmu said:
Volourn said:
"And as far as Action-RPGs go it had the best combat."

Bullshit. There's like 1000 ActionRPgs with better combat than TW.
Volourn tells the truth, this time.

TW's combat is simply a shitbrained fuckfest. Whoever said that it has the "best ARPG combat" is a colossal moron who hasn't touched a *single* ARPG before.*

*- well maybe except dung lords/siege

Thank you for your kind words...

To tell the truth I haven't played THAT many ARPGs, but compared to Diablo, Sacred, Titan Quest, Heretic, Dungeon Siege, Oblivion and VTMB, Witcher had a fresh and interesting approach in combat mechanics that I found most enjoyable... An excellent balance between the player's actual skill and character stats.

Apart from the statement 'The witcher's combat sucks' any other thoughts you'd like to share?

Also fuck off.

Squirly

Educated
You tell'em deranged. Screw all you haters. I'ma go chop some drowners.

Seriously though - I too felt that it struck a nice balance in terms of stats and player skill. You could feel the difference when it came to fighting styles and focusing on different skills. Alchemy had it's uses, especially on higher difficulty levels and against the more dick-ish enemies. And the spells were fun too, with a variety of enemies having their weaknesses (not just FIRE! DERP!).

I'm almost tempted to play this again. But I don't have a machine to handle it right now soooo... meh.

Thrasher

Erudite
I'm playing on hard difficulty right now. Frankly, the use of potions, coatings, and bombs is rarely necessary mid-game and onwards if you play defensively and use magic skills...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
'The witcher's combat sucks' any other thoughts you'd like to share?

Me! Me!

In Diablo for example you have the frenzy of hitting left and right mercilessly. In The Witcher it's "wait for cue...click...wait for cue...click.. etc"

And yeah, + on that "enemies don't look like they're hit" thing and on this " Frankly, the use of potions, coatings, and bombs is rarely necessary"

All those "play on hard to feel the game's combat" dudes are lying to you.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Squirly said:
Black Cat said:
:decline:

Disappear.
This thread is an eyesore.
This thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. etc.

What's up your butt? There's nothing wrong with tits. Tits make any game better.

If Oblivion had tits it..... oh wait. Nevermind.

Black and Black Cat like muscle men.

deranged

Cipher
FeelTheRads said:
'The witcher's combat sucks' any other thoughts you'd like to share?

Me! Me!

In Diablo for example you have the frenzy of hitting left and right mercilessly. In The Witcher it's "wait for cue...click...wait for cue...click.. etc"

I see... frenzy clicking.... good stuff...

FeelTheRads said:
All those "play on hard to feel the game's combat" dudes are lying to you.

Hard on Witcher makes a difference since you have no visual indication (well only a minor one) on when to click to continue your attack sequence. You must stay focused and alert. Otherwise you are dead.

Also try to enter a dungeon or a cave with no 'lights on' potion (whatever that was called)...You are also dead...

Phelot

Arcane
deranged said:
Hard on Witcher makes a difference since you have no visual indication (well only a minor one) on when to click to continue your attack sequence. You must stay focused and alert. Otherwise you are dead.

Also try to enter a dungeon or a cave with no 'lights on' potion (whatever that was called)...You are also dead...

It's still QTE combat... instead you just watch his sword. Maybe that was fun for you, but it was only tedium for me. Got old and boring VERY fast. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't as much filler combat, but still there wasn't anything complex or refreshing about the experience. I wasn't impressed by the flashy swordfighting and the unresponsive enemies that don't know when they're hit didn't look that great.

I did like the fact that caves were in fact dark rather then bloom ridden. So yeah, that was one useful potion.

Thrasher

Erudite
Most fighting is NOT in caves, so yeah my statement stands. Potion use is rarely required.

deranged

Cipher
Thrasher said:
Most fighting is NOT in caves, so yeah my statement stands. Potion use is rarely required.

So you want me to believe that you rarely used potions after Chapter 4 or so? Well good for you I guess... Most games I play are not so action oriented so I found myself using potions for pretty much every fight...ESPECIALLY after Chapter 3-4. Then again I never invested in magic talents that much...Maybe combat is much easier using lots of spells...

Thrasher

Erudite
Probably. If I didn't use magic I'd probably be guzzling them a litle bit more when surrounded or getting poisoned. But I played defensively (using kiting where possible) to minimize such situations... So there are some fun choices to be made in the gameplay tactics space. It gets repetitive though if you don't mix it up. Point is, potions are not REQUIRED most of the game. At the difficulty spike at end of chapter 1 - they DEFINITELY were!

Mortmal

Arcane
Its not overrated, its certainly not a classic rpg but the best action rpg i have ever played, the combat while being simple is altready much better than two world or oblivion, all of it had cinematic feel , was quite hard , ah and the witcher is so atmospheric.. I think one of THE big reason many people love it is its a game for adult , i am not only speaking of the cards wich are a nicea ddition, it may have flaws but not a game aimed to children like oblivion, fallout3, or drakensang. Drakensang has much better character system, it has party control , but i find the witcher considerably more enjoyable. Atmpsheric, funny mature, believable story, few choices and consequences, but they really matters.. ah and i strongly suggest you to buy the books as well.

The Witcher is the best example of a game entirely ruined by filler combat and lazy jogging everywhere. Maybe one fifth nice atmosphere, the rest is butchering legions upon legions of chump enemies with a minigame, that is when you're not running between places.

Sort of like Dragon Age. No wonder I didn't have the patience to finish it. TW drained me of patience.

Thrasher

Erudite
Yep, definitely had to take a break from Witcher, before coming back to finish it...

But Dragon Age, I played all the way through... Probably because the filler combat was much more interesting, AND it had fast travel...

MRSA

Scholar
The Witcher is fun.

BG2: not so much.
NWN 1&2: not so much.
Gothic 2 NotR: Oh Dog, why hast thou forsaken me?

Drakensang doesn't even get a honorary mention here.

Why so serious?

Rhalle

Magister
The Witcher sex cards are awesome. As easy as it is to be sanctimonious about them, the fact is that they made the game what it is.

First off, no other big company would dare put old-school 'classy' raunch in a major title like that.

And, second, apart from being just testosterone-fueled titilation for PC gaming nerds (which, by the way, every true RPG should have), they and the whole Geralt-is-a-man-whore business is the perfect counterbalance to the ''Alvin's Stepfather' plot. It simply wouldn't have had the same impact otherwise; it would have been a cloying Biowarian sentimental thing instead, with little real emotional impact.

The combat is what it is.

But I will say that what makes it just fun is when you realize that it can be viewed more as how cool can I make this look, than (unfortunately) as a real RPG combat system.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I still cannot understand how anyone could've liked this game. The gameplay is horrible, I felt like poking my eyes out with an ice cream spoon rather then spending any other second of my time playing this piece of garbage. Whomever came up with the combat system deserves to be skinned alive and have pepper sprayed all over him/her. Geralt is not a likable fella, the voice acting sucks dwarf's cock the gameworld is sterile and devoid of imagination.

*pukes*

FeelTheRads

Arcane
the voice acting sucks dwarf's cock the gameworld is sterile and devoid of imagination.

Aren't you the one playing Mass Effect and DA?

Don't disagree with you about the gameplay or combat system, but voice acting and especially the world are good and definitely better than anything Bioware ever dreamed of making.

Fagass.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Don't lie to yourself FTR, TW is pure fedex quests galore on tiny maps, which require the player to travel back and forth through a dozen of said tiny maps all the fucking time. Could've called the game "Loading Screens: Lots of Them" and it wouldn't be too far off from the premise of this turd.

And yes, the voice acting is abysmal. The actors don't even change their tone during intense moments, felt like listening to microsoft's voice translation software.

ironyuri

racofer said:
I still cannot understand how anyone could've liked this game. The gameplay is horrible, I felt like poking my eyes out with an ice cream spoon rather then spending any other second of my time playing this piece of garbage. Whomever came up with the combat system deserves to be skinned alive and have pepper sprayed all over him/her. Geralt is not a likable fella, the voice acting sucks dwarf's cock the gameworld is sterile and devoid of imagination.

*pukes*

Considering much of the Dragon Age universe seems to be lifted directly from The Witcher's universe I sense some strange blindness in your argument.

For example: The Scoie'tael = The Dalish

The Flaming Rose = The Paladins of the Circle

The Grey Wardens = The Witchers

The storyline is essentially the same as well, monster slaying group is persecuted because of its dalliances into the political arena (the Grey Wardens in Ferelden and the Witchers in Temeria), eventually they are wiped out or near purged until some great monster threat comes to the land and they are the only ones who can stop it despite what the ruling monarch and his armies might believe.

Even at a technical level the combat is basically the same. In the Witcher you click in sequence to score better attacks and then mix in power attacks (the Aard etc). In Dragon Age you click to attack then use hotkeys to mix in powers, spells, potions and special moves. The Witcher has more similarities to KotOR in many ways, but the Dragon Age system is the heir of the KotOR combat system.

And your comment that Geralt is not a "likeable" protagonist? Why should he be likeable? Is the Warden a likeable character? Geralt is an asshole who believes in absolute neutrality and usually maintains some form of it. The Warden does everyone's fucking chores eventhough the Wardens are technically "neutral" and is forced constantly to side with The Circle, the Maker, the Dwarven nobles, the Elves/the Werewolves and these decisions are much less difficult than say Geralt and the Elves/Flaming Rose in the Fourth Act.

:x

KalosKagathos

Learned
ironyuri said:
Even at a technical level the combat is basically the same. In the Witcher you click in sequence to score better attacks and then mix in power attacks (the Aard etc). In Dragon Age you click to attack then use hotkeys to mix in powers, spells, potions and special moves. The Witcher has more similarities to KotOR in many ways, but the Dragon Age system is the heir of the KotOR combat system.
What. The. Fuck. Have. I. Just. Read. :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom