Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher is popamole

Cenobyte

Prophet
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I think rpg-wise my last entry is the best, cuz you get to card her after beating up her dad, just like irl.

Very good :lol:

Black Cat

Magister
:decline:

Disappear.
This thread is an eyesore.
This thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Black Cat, if I'd beat up your dad, would you send me your card?

Also this is a serious discussion concerning the merits of TW as an RPG.

Quilty

Magister
Play the game on the highest difficulty, it forces you to approach combat with a little more strategy and makes alchemy important. The combat remains a QTE but you have to be more careful.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
circ said:
I like the card where some chick is bending over and showing her ass in a barn or something. HAWT

you mean that one?

393px-Sex_Clerks.png

Squirly

Educated
Black Cat said:

Disappear.
This thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. etc.

What's up your butt? There's nothing wrong with tits. Tits make any game better.

If Oblivion had tits it..... oh wait. Nevermind.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Black Cat said:

Disappear.
This thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread. This Thread!

Mystic eyes of thread perception?

Phelot

Arcane
I REALLY wanted to like The Witcher, but bad English dialogue and some of the most tedious and yet boring combat ever makes it awful.

And the cards are terrible. At least make them like Hentai games and allow me to determine if I cum in or outside the gal. Instead we get frumpy pudgy Eastern European whores.

Suicidal

Arcane
Quilty said:
Play the game on the highest difficulty, it forces you to approach combat with a little more strategy and makes alchemy important. The combat remains a QTE but you have to be more careful.

I fire-spell-spammed my way through the game on highest difficulty, the only enemies that gave me trouble were the fire elementals which appeared, IIRC, twice in the entire game and The Beast because my fire spell wasn't developed enough at that stage in the game. Is this considered "more strategy"? Yeah it does make alchemy more important, as in, you need to drink a potion of stamina regen before clearing a dungeon.

The combat in TW is laughably bad, and this is coming from someone who more or less enjoyed the combat in Arcanum. It has zero redeeming qualities. I wish they had made it like something the Gothic games/Risen had - actual sword fighting suited for an action RPG, where your character immediately responds to the click of the appropriate mouse button and performs a different type of strike or a shield block, which you have to time correctly, not this fucking QTE shit that belongs in bad console games + that one spell that can easily win you the game.

Not only is it completely uninteresting, but also not very entertaining to look at. If you use your sword it feels as if you're just slicing air - the enemies don't seem to react to you striking them, the only way you can tell that you're hitting them is by the blood trails n shit.

Good game, but the combat could have been much, MUCH better.

Squirly

Educated
Suicidal said:
...and The Beast because my fire spell wasn't developed enough at that stage in the game.

The Beast is a creature of fire anyway so you would've had trouble no matter what.

Also, I don't get people who do this sort of power-playing anyway. There's a fairly big variety of spells and skills in most RPGs - why play the damn thing like a platformer?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
WhiskeyWolf said:
CrimHead said:
Magic quest compass
Try going where it shows you.
Exactly. It only shows you the general location (nothing wrong with that, eh?). F.e. if you're looking for Ramsmeat, it'll point you only to his house, which he rarely visits. It's not a magical GPS a la Oblivion.

Suicidal

Arcane
Gerrard said:
Suicidal said:
which you have to time correctly, not this fucking QTE shit
Ahahaha oh wow.

There is a difference between attacks that can be manually performed and correctly timed for maximum effectiveness and QTE sequences.

Martin

Educated
I dont know why people are complaining about the dialogue, it seemed to me that it was alot better in terms of voice acting and the writing than everything "next gen" that I tried. My impression of the game in fact is that, mechanics aside ( and these didnt seem bad), just about everything was very tastefully done. Which is alot more that can be said for alot of RPG's including alot of praised oldschool classics.

This was my impression of the game after trying it for only a few hours. I quit because the pace was a bit slow.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Well, that the combat is boring as hell should be no surprise to anyone here.

Back to the cards: I really hate the fact that most women/witches/whores/whatever ingame look completely different to their corresponding card. And most of the time the card has much better artwork (only exception which comes to my mind atm is the witch in the first village, her card looks horrible).

Why the fuck is that so? If you give us the cards, dear Polish developers, than at least make the NPCs that should represent them to actually look like them!
Because the current design doesn't really deliver the intended atmosphere and immersion at all.

made

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
circ said:
I like the card where some chick is bending over and showing her ass in a barn or something. HAWT

you mean that one?

393px-Sex_Clerks.png

BEST GAME EVER!!

Which npc is that? Don't think I ever got that card.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Why would anyone want a peasant smelling like pig shit when there's the naked blonde on top of a pile of gold coins is beyond me

I was born in a communist country. I don't trust money grubbers and I have a soft spot for girls of the land.

deranged

Cipher
The only way to play Witcher is on 'Hard', where you actually have to use potions and herbalism. Otherwise you're dead....

And as far as Action-RPGs go it had the best combat. And it was something new... ++ For that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom