Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher: Rise of the Console Profits cancelled?

Durwyn

Prophet
Elwro said:
Durwyn said:
English is the only right language for RPGs.
Frankly, that's quite shortsighted. Not only because some games are made by German, Russian or Polish teams; and honestly, I prefer to play The Witcher in Polish. But some games written in English aren't written that well, too. It might seem they're fine when you're not a native speaker. It's just as with football TV commentators. I'm pretty sure that it's a general rule that if you watch them speak your native tongue, they seem to be so stupid you'd like to turn off the sound. But if they're foreigners, hey, sometimes they actually make sense.

Well, you're right. So to clarify, main reason why i prefer English to Polish in RPGs is that I always want to be as close to original artist/developer meaning as it is possible. Translations tends to lose some of the meaning of the original, so I always feel like I'm missing something important. This is one of the reasons why I hate dubbed movies or translated games. Of course it only matters when game was originaly made in English. For example, I've played TW only in english, and I felt exactly like I wrote above. Best way is to play game in it's original language, but I just can't stand german or russian.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
made said:
This may come as a surprise for internet dwellers, but not everyone speaks or understands English. In Germany, every single game (or movie, or TV show) is localized and dubbed. No wonder the Poles, ever striving to emulate the West, would try to do the same.
Actually, the trend is different: Poles in general don't like dubbing. I was stunned to see that in Germany if you go to see a Bond movie, all characters speak in German :shock: It just doesn't make sense. In our cinemas films are subtitled as a rule; on TV there's a guy reading all the dialogues and believe me, it's a lot better than dubbing because after some practice you can also hear the original voices so you get the benefit of both original acting and proper translation.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wyrmlord said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgizZkix70k

You have to admit that it loses alot from the English version.

I mean, the Polish TTO speaks very fast. Perhaps it comes with the language, but you expect TTO to be more slower and heavier with every word he says.

I hope you realise that it's an amateur video made by "some_guy_from_the_internet"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwpWcGawqG4 - here's the original Polish TTO.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Anyway, when it comes to translating and shit, I don't mind translating as long as it's without dubbing and it's really high quality. For example, I enjoyed Fallout in Polish more than in English.

BearBomber

Scholar
Major_Boobage said:
Why would you even use a Polish version. Are u so backwards that you cannot use the native language it comes in?

I always watch films in their native language with subtitles. Dubbing is horrible. It just IS.

>>>Because at that time there was no alternative other than importing Torment from another country. Now you can usualy chose to use dub or not (i think that Cenega started that), but in NWN you had to listen do dubbing.

made

Arcane
Elwro said:
Actually, the trend is different: Poles in general don't like dubbing. I was stunned to see that in Germany if you go to see a Bond movie, all characters speak in German :shock: It just doesn't make sense. In our cinemas films are subtitled as a rule; on TV there's a guy reading all the dialogues and believe me, it's a lot better than dubbing because after some practice you can also hear the original voices so you get the benefit of both original acting and proper translation.

Yes, I know. I grew up in Poland and I get Polish TV here, but the practice of reading the translation over the original voice track always seemed weird to me. Dubbing is most popular in Germany and German speaking countries and is of rather high quality (for movies - games are another matter) but others like France or Italy use it too. I always thought it had to do with the higher budget and attachment to the native languages.

Anyway, I prefer the original audio + a choice of subtitles myself as I've mentioned earlier.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, PS:T had awesome dubbing. BUT! I thought it was excellent until I heard the original voices. Sorry, but our TTO can't beat Tony Jay. Still, it was probably the best dub (and localization) in the history of video games ever. Too bad CDP has been going downhill since and we're looking at its fruits now.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CDP made a grat localizations that often wasn't even worse than original (PST, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale for example) but it changed in time. Their localizations are still good but they're just good. For example some voices are much better in original version of NWN2. That's why I prefer to play in new games in english while I play BG/PST/Fallout/etc still in polish.

It really hurts me that I can't buy english version of most games in Poland.

BTW I played The Witcher in english and soon changed to polish. English version really sucks. For example polish "Głodny jak wilk" means in english more like "Hungry as hell" than "Hungry as wolf". Translators translated it all too literally.

MetalCraze

Arcane
No, but Ossian studios is already known for producing very crappy mod previously. That plus NWN2 gameplay mechanics = crap.
"You can't criticize game until you'll play it" won't go, nuh uh.
I can give them a benefit of the doubt though in that that MoW can be better than SoZ, because you have to try really hard to go so low.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
No, but Ossian studios is already known for producing very crappy mod previously. That plus NWN2 gameplay mechanics = crap.
"You can't criticize game until you'll play it" won't go, nuh uh.
I can give them a benefit of the doubt though in that that MoW can be better than SoZ, because you have to try really hard to go so low.

You are welcome to have negative opinions of games you've never played, just don't expect anyone to take that opinion seriously.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And what will you say if I will tell you that I torrented that shit, played it for 30 minutes and deleted it the fuck away from my PC because I couldn't bear its blandness?
Hypotetically, I'm just curious

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
And what will you say if I will tell you that I torrented that shit, played it for 30 minutes and deleted it the fuck away from my PC because I couldn't bear its blandness?

Then your opinion would be a little more worthwhile.

Not that I'd ever play - or avoid - a game based on what you think, but it would at least give your opinion SOME weight.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except that you miss one little thing. Ossian already proved to be worthless with the terrible Darkness over Daggerford. The head of the studios was working on BG2: ToB and NWN OC which were bad. Plus Mysteries of Westgate is built around NWN2's combat mechanic f.e. which is terrible too. You see this is called opinion based on experience, just like when Codex predicted that Fallout 3 will be Oblivion with Guns (which it is) when there wasn't even a single screenshot anywhere.
What you are saying is like giving a benefit of the doubt to the makers of Hellgate: London aka "you can't criticize the game until you'll play it" even considering that HG:L was such a stinking piece of shit beyond redemption - which is a retarded casual gamer logic which Codex seems to be full of recently.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
You know, while it is quite right to say that you can't have an informed opinion on a game that you have not played, it still stands that your experience in playing other games is very much a basis in seeing whether you might be able to enjoy the said game.

It is just something called Rule Of Thumb. Rules Of Thumb tend to be wrong often. They are also known to be right a large number of times.

I am amazed that some people have a "Quit yer whining" response to anyone who says that unlimited health is a bad sign for the game in general. They unfortunately ignore the fact that dozens of games already have unlimited health, and they always come down to hiding, avoiding firing for a while, and then popping out at your convenience to kill the enemy.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
Except that you miss one little thing. Ossian already proved to be worthless with the terrible Darkness over Daggerford. The head of the studios was working on BG2: ToB and NWN OC which were bad. Plus Mysteries of Westgate is built around NWN2's combat mechanic f.e. which is terrible too. You see this is called opinion based on experience, just like when Codex predicted that Fallout 3 will be Oblivion with Guns (which it is) when there wasn't even a single screenshot anywhere.
What you are saying is like giving a benefit of the doubt to the makers of Hellgate: London aka "you can't criticize the game until you'll play it" even considering that HG:L was such a stinking piece of shit beyond redemption - which is a retarded casual gamer logic which Codex seems to be full of recently.

If trusting the opinion of someone who has played a game over someone who hasn't played a game is "retarded casual gamer logic" - and being a "hardcore gamer" means being someone who acts like you - then I would gladly embrace such a label.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So will you buy Bill Roper's next game when some xbawks kid who played it will say that it is good just like reviewers who played the game too? Please do answer honestly.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
So will you buy Bill Roper's next game when some xbawks kid who played it will say that it is good?

Yes, because I buy games solely off the opinion of a single person I stumble across on the internet and rather than listening to a combination of "professional" reviews, user reviews, what people say in online communities like this one, and the opinions of friends. That is totally the logical extension of everything I've been saying.

For the most part, I actually ignore subjective statements like "this game sucks" and try to focus on more detailed assessments of the game that describe certain features, how it plays, etc. and from there, based on my gaming experience, I can determine whether or not I think I'd enjoy it. Which is why the opinion of someone who has played the game is far more valuable to me than someone who says it sucks because he didn't like the other games that company has made.

Deleted Member 10432

Personally I intend to somewhat rabidly buy whatever Obsidian sticks in front of me for a while. It's a kind of masochistic two fingers to BioWhore for the vast number of problems I had trying to get Mass Defects to run.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And the guy who played the game can't totally describe it the way to make it look like it has fun gameplay? TW fanbois, quite a number of which infests Codex, f.e. say that there are C&C and non-linearity in TW, whereas there are none besides different models of people at the exactly same places.

And letting your opinions of a studio that already made a very bad product and led by people known for making bad products to start from a "clean paper" is a way of a dumb consumer sheep.

But you didn't answer my question. Will you buy next Bill Roper's game?

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
And the guy who played the game can't totally describe it the way to make it look like it has fun gameplay? TW fanbois, quite a number of which infests Codex, f.e. say that there are C&C and non-linearity in TW, whereas there are none besides different models of people at the exactly same places.

Which is why I get opinions from as many people as possible. The opinions I value most are from friends that I think have the closest taste in games to what I do. However, if those friends haven't played the game, then their opinions are fairly worthless to me.

And letting your opinions of a studio that already made a very bad product and led by people known for making bad products to start from a "clean paper" is a way of a dumb consumer sheep.

Obviously I take the history of a studio into account when considering a game purchase. However, that's based on what *I* think of the studio and the games they've produced, not what anyone else thinks of it.

The simple fact is, "MoW sucks because the studio that makes it sucks and the engine sucks" is a fairly worthless opinion when compared to "I played MoW and here's what I've found I liked and didn't like".

A studio's past history is a factor I consider, but it is not the sole reason I will or won't buy a game. That being said, after Hellgate, I'd have to hear some great things from people whose opinions I trust before I bought another game by Bill Roper. However, I'm always willing to consider that it's possible for a studio to learn from its mistakes. I just don't consider it likely.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So judging by your answer which is basically "Roper's next game sucks until proven otherwise" - what the problem do you have with my opinion?

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
So judging by your answer which is basically "Roper's next game sucks until proven otherwise" - what the problem do you have with my opinion?

I don't have any problem with your opinion, it was you who got your panties in a bunch when I explained why I felt your opinion of MoW was fairly worthless. Why? Because my opinion of "Roper's next game" is also fairly worthless until I've actually played it. I just don't care, because I don't view my own opinions as unqestionable fact.

You are welcome to call games "crap" if you want. Just don't get all bitchy and defensive if someone doesn't value your opinion of games you haven't even played.

MetalCraze

Arcane
No what I was saying is that your "you can't criticize the game until you've played it" is dumb. I read reviews too you know and build my opinion on them. Like f.e. VD's post - the game indeed looks very crappy so far.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:
No what I was saying is that your "you can't criticize the game until you've played it" is dumb. I read reviews too you know and build my opinion on them. Like f.e. VD's post - the game indeed looks very crappy so far.

Except I've never said "you can't criticize the game until you've played it". The only person who has ever said anything like that is you, pretending to quote my opinion. All I've ever said is that I don't consider the opinion of someone who hasn't played a game to be worthwhile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom