Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Lukifell

Educated
Hi guys. Playing Wiz7 right now and i have a couple of questions.
First, i'm in the new city and i have leveling problems. Obviously i just have to go deeper into uncharted lands for more exp. But you see, i can't. Because fucking D'rang T'rang. How i hate this guy. Even if i made peace with him then he spawns with his retarded smile at my next step. I definitely gonna kill him with a great pleasure but right now i am too weak for him and his band.
So. Can i "unspawn" him somehow? Right now this guy gladly spawns right after i load my save.

Second question:can i actually talk with these unique enemies? with D'rang or Ratsputin? To ask them about various topics? Or am i supposed just to kill them?

I always just left any of the wandering NPCs as soon as they appeared because there’s a chance they’ll just randomly get angry. They were always really scary at low levels when playing ironman.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Wiz 6 is probably the ugliest of the core Wizardries.
This is very interesting.
And that is more interesting my eyes get used to almost any grafix.
After playing Wiz8 a begin Wiz6, lookimg at the grafix, oh no, this is ugly!
Nevertheless I begin playing and after a while the grafix does not bother me. It is perfectly acceptable.

By the way any new Wizardry-like game?

Reader

Scholar
Where Wiz6 lacks in grafics it compensates with great scenery descriptions. And prologue in manual puts you right in the mood.
The best gfx chip is your brain.
any new Wizardry-like game?
Come on dude, Grimoir has been around for several years already.
There are some japanese Wizardry inspired dungeon crawlers but those are not like Wiz.

Humbaba

Arcane
this is where someone with the throwing skill comes in handy. use pandemonium powder. the range is super far and the sentries are monk class, so i believe they will be feared 100% (pandemonium can’t be resisted, it automatically hits them with fear, my fave spell in wiz8)
If I clobber just a few more Rapax my bard will be levelled enough to use chaos drone, so I'll be trying that one.

Codex Year of the Donut
I created a tiny lua mod for wiz8 that stops respawns. Non-static enemies in Wiz8 are spawned from 'spawners', this disables the spawner after they've been activated once so each spawner will go off once, then (hopefully) never again.

https://anonfiles.com/V5Cdj1Wfxc/Respawninator_zip

HOW TO USE:
Extract contents into wiz8 folder, double click W8LaunchWithAgent.bat when starting the game instead of the exe

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
not compatible with other lua mods due to how the injector works. If this is an actual issue(are there other lua mods for wiz8?) I'll do something about it. The way the injector works is that it looks for a single file rather than loading multiple mods, I could write a small loader/event forwarding code to make it trivial to use multiple mods if needed.
It logs monster spawn activations to the cfagent.log file in the folder if you care to see if it's working.
From what I can tell from limited testing, the state of spawners is part of the savegame file so this should persist between area loads/savegame loads. If someone can find evidence to the contrary, I'll adjust the mod to account for this.

CFAgent.dll and CFInjector.exe aren't mine. If they cause your PC to blow up, blame it on the guy who makes the cosmic forge editor.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Simply disabling spawns seems like something that can completely break the game, since there just aren't enough quests to properly level you up. Particularly early game.
First non-retarded mod for wiz8 on this forum has been just created by non-combatfag codexer.
Why i'm not surprised that non-combatfags are incliners and combatfaqs are decliners...
Funny of you to say that, cause the only genuinely good and inclined proper Wiz8 mod in existence was actually conceived as a result of a discussion on the codex and made and updated by a codexer.

Humbaba

Arcane
Lmao Al-Sedexus got paralysed by the cane of corpus in round 1 and never got to act once before getting hacked to paste. Doesn't even turn the Rapax hostile weirdly enough.

I created a tiny lua mod

I didn't realise there was a market for this kind of mod. I don't mind the respawns honestly unless it's some complete cancer ass mobs like Diremares, Juggernauts or Ensnaring Spiders and that's just when I can't find a way to sneak around them.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Watched the Wizardry OVA last night, very cool. After i finish Dragon's Dogma i will start tales of the forsaken land.
wizardry_shot17.jpg

Humbaba

Arcane
Ffs did they expect you to book a 2 week vacation for the Rapax prince encounter? This shit is gonna take ages, even if I manage to geek Al-charname without that bitch spawning in 14 more templars.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Ffs did they expect you to book a 2 week vacation for the Rapax prince encounter? This shit is gonna take ages, even if I manage to geek Al-charname without that bitch spawning in 14 more templars.
Rapax carpets of doom require heavy cc/instakill stuff. It's the only part of the game where "omg, encounters take an hour" meme is actually true.

Humbaba

Arcane
bro do you even death cloud
Come to think of it, I may have some death bombs lying around, I'll try those.

EDIT: Checked, I have 2. Bad news is my highest throwing skill is a whopping 6, so I'll probably have to reload a bunch of times.
Rapax carpets of doom require heavy cc/instakill stuff. It's the only part of the game where "omg, encounters take an hour" meme is actually true.
4/7 of my guys do instakill with regularity but 1. I first have to spend 3 rounds total chaos droning the lot and then moving in range, by which time Al-charname and the templars may have already summoned in some bullshit but tbf I've only tried the encounter twice and quit because I got bored, maybe it'll go better next time.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
Idk the interface looks like Terry Davis made it. Also no mac port.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom