Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anybody know how to improve the framerate in Wiz 8? I assumed with all the fan patches and everything any possible fix would already be applied, but I'm getting 5-10 fps on a modern gaming PC.
Have you tested all the different rendering options? If you're using nGlide try DirectX, or vice versa. Only thing I can think of.

Edit: It's possible that dgVoodoo's voodoo magic might work on this too. Could be worth a shot.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Anybody know how to improve the framerate in Wiz 8? I assumed with all the fan patches and everything any possible fix would already be applied, but I'm getting 5-10 fps on a modern gaming PC.
Have you tested all the different rendering options? If you're using nGlide try DirectX, or vice versa. Only thing I can think of.

Edit: It's possible that dgVoodoo's voodoo magic might work on this too. Could be worth a shot.
Glide2x is the only one that will even launch the game. Every other option just gives me the "selected video device does not support this resolution" error on all possible resolutions.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Glide2x is the only one that will even launch the game. Every other option just gives me the "selected video device does not support this resolution" error on all possible resolutions.
That does indeed sound like a job for dgVoodoo. Just pop the relevant dll files in the main Wiz 8 folder and use the executable to configure it. The DirectX7 option gives me the best results, but has never worked without dgVoodoo.

Arbiter

Scholar

That does indeed sound like a job for dgVoodoo. Just pop the relevant dll files in the main Wiz 8 folder and use the executable to configure it.

I completed W8 once in early 2000s and I still remember horrible level scaling, several years before Oblivion. Are there any patches nowdays to disable it?

notpl

Arbiter

That does indeed sound like a job for dgVoodoo. Just pop the relevant dll files in the main Wiz 8 folder and use the executable to configure it. The DirectX7 option gives me the best results, but has never worked without dgVoodoo.

EDIT AGAIN

Durr, obviously wiz 8 isn't an x64 application. Got it working and performance is much better, thanks again homeboy.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar

You need a patch, lemme get to the computer and ill get the link for you

--

Got the link for you, here you go notpl https://disk.yandex.ru/d/3cvkziQTKXXXgQ

Extract right into your game's directory, overwrite everything. You'll be able to select Directx7, which is the renderer i use. Your game will run smooth. I'm playing with the Wizardry Expanded Mod, game was crashing with the new mobs' attack animations, after i applied this patch, never got any crashes. Just remember to select Directx7 as your renderer and Miles Audio for audio. Enjoy :bro:

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter

You need a patch, lemme get to the computer and ill get the link for you

--

Got the link for you, here you go notpl https://disk.yandex.ru/d/3cvkziQTKXXXgQ

Extract right into your game's directory, overwrite everything. You'll be able to select Directx7, which is the renderer i use. Your game will run smooth. I'm playing with the Wizardry Expanded Mod, game was crashing with the new mobs' attack animations, after i applied this patch, never got any crashes. Just remember to select Directx7 as your renderer and Miles Audio for audio. Enjoy :bro:
I appreciate this preemptively, if I have trouble with my current dgvoodoo solution I'll give yours a try.

notpl

Arbiter
Oh, good, Wizardry 8 Expanded adds disease-inflicting enemies to the monastery from level 1. My opinion of it so far simply could not get higher.

CHEMS

Scholar
I liked it. Monastery was quite hard with this mod, especially the upper monastery.

CHEMS

Scholar
On upper monasteries somehow i aggro'd the entire fucking map, a shitload of bandits, seekers and a new draining slime that cast a AOE stamina drain effect. It was tough. There's an Antichrist on the room with the Toseido too that kicked my ass a bit.

Lukifell

Educated
Just started trying to ironman Wiz7 on expert. Expert is like a completely different game, I never tried it before. Shorter buff durations it seems. Monsters come in waves so dedicated CC + tanks is a must. Seems random encounter rate is slightly higher. Harder encounter tables too, I think, running into Rattkin leaders + Hunters in the Gorn castle was a weird surprise, pretty sure I ran into a few Hunters just outside of New City as well, wtf.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Out of curiosity, CHEMS, are you using the GOG version of wiz 8? Can no longer make it through any combat without crashing and from googling it looks like other people with the GOG version also find the mod completely unplayable once they reach upper monastery.

notpl

Arbiter
this mod adds the muramasa to the monastery as a fixed spawn. this is less outrageous than it seems because the mod also adds dozens of other weapons that deal 50+ base damage, including a dagger that hits twice per attack

CHEMS

Scholar
Out of curiosity, CHEMS, are you using the GOG version of wiz 8? Can no longer make it through any combat without crashing and from googling it looks like other people with the GOG version also find the mod completely unplayable once they reach upper monastery.
I'm using steam version. You have to apply the patch that i gave you so it won't crash with the new mobs attack animation. Without this patch you the game can't handle those animations.

notpl

Arbiter
I'm using steam version. You have to apply the patch that i gave you so it won't crash with the new mobs attack animation. Without this patch you the game can't handle those animations.
The gog version comes with that patch preapplied and still had the issue. I had to pirate a different version of the game to get everything to work right.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Guys, can you share your Wiz7 end game saves? I'm in a mood for a Wiz 8 run, but would like to try some other party composition than my usual setups. And currently have lack of vision for a party, so I thought that it may be fun to take someones party onwards :) No, I'm not in a mood for full 6-7-8 run this time :)

CHEMS

Scholar
The gog version comes with that patch preapplied and still had the issue. I had to pirate a different version of the game to get everything to work right.
Did you apply the patch i linked here? The issue happens with steam version too. I'm no expert, but my opinion is that the vanilla .exe and files can't handle the new animations, so the game crashes. I noticed that it would only happen when enemies would start their attacking animations. I was playing just fine through the first 30 minutes or so, but when i ran into the skeleton archers, the game would crash to desktop when they attacked, i applied the patch, ran the new exe and it was fine. Note that you have to run the Wizardry Expanded through the .bat file everytime you boot the game, because it needs to inject mod into the exe as the new scripts in the mod need it, otherwise the mod won't work.

bxlvsu.png

Humbaba

Arcane
Was exploring the world when some chimpmunk motherfucker asked for a toll, said no just to see what happened and haven't saved in a while. Summoned a fucking giant golem that i beat after a very hard fight and he didn't drop SHIT

I shouldn't be there around lvl 14, should i?
wtf that's the endgame area what are you doing

Codex Year of the Donut
Was exploring the world when some chimpmunk motherfucker asked for a toll, said no just to see what happened and haven't saved in a while. Summoned a fucking giant golem that i beat after a very hard fight and he didn't drop SHIT

I shouldn't be there around lvl 14, should i?
nice, taxes are for plebs

CHEMS

Scholar
DON'T NEED EM

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom