Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

MjKorz

Educated
Nope, not using any homosexual bards even if they have an attitude problem.

I've rolled my party, looted the two chests in the alcoves and now I'm just standing in front of the stamina pool, turning left endlessly and farming random encounters for xp, skill increments, gold and the occasional loot item. Managed to hit a level on my two fighters already without issue. Is this all there is to the early game? Should I just keep doing this until I hit level 3-4 on my fighters?
y2krgm.jpg

grimer

Learned
Nope, not using any homosexual bards even if they have an attitude problem.

I've rolled my party, looted the two chests in the alcoves and now I'm just standing in front of the stamina pool, turning left endlessly and farming random encounters for xp, skill increments, gold and the occasional loot item. Managed to hit a level on my two fighters already without issue. Is this all there is to the early game? Should I just keep doing this until I hit level 3-4 on my fighters?
y2krgm.jpg
i never had to do that. i just gained levels naturally as i mapped out the castle especially since most doors lead to a random encounter.

MjKorz

Educated
i never had to do that. i just gained levels naturally as i mapped out the castle especially since most doors lead to a random encounter.
I tried exploring the castle entrance level, found a door I couldn't pick with my ninja and also found the key of Ramm, but didn't find any encounters. Think I'll just farm some xp until I get more points into skullduggery for better lockpicking.

grimer

Learned
I tried exploring the castle entrance level, found a door I couldn't pick with my ninja and also found the key of Ramm, but didn't find any encounters. Think I'll just farm some xp until I get more points into skullduggery for better lockpicking.
id suggest exploring the basement where you can find a merchant. also bandit enemies sometimes drop copper/iron keys that you can use to open doors.

MjKorz

Educated
OK, so my Ninja just hit level 3 and all of my skillpoints gained on level up have been auto-distributed among my class skills, except skulduggery got absolutely nothing for the second level up in a row. I checked a class guide and it says that skulduggery is a Ninja class skill, but it's not getting leveled: all my skillpoints get auto-distributed between hands&feet and ninjutsu. Is this the intended behavior or am I just this unlucky with skillpoint auto-distribution? As a result, I can't disarm any trapped chests and have to facetank the traps which hurts pretty bad.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
OK, so my Ninja just hit level 3 and all of my skillpoints gained on level up have been auto-distributed among my class skills, except skulduggery got absolutely nothing for the second level up in a row. I checked a class guide and it says that skulduggery is a Ninja class skill, but it's not getting leveled: all my skillpoints get auto-distributed between hands&feet and ninjutsu. Is this the intended behavior or am I just this unlucky with skillpoint auto-distribution? As a result, I can't disarm any trapped chests and have to facetank the traps which hurts pretty bad.
You get to spend your skill points on level up. They don't get auto-distributed.

MjKorz

Educated
You get to spend your skill points on level up. They don't get auto-distributed.
I'm not getting anything for the second level up in a row, but I do see my class skills increase automatically on level up, except not skulduggery.

And to make things even clearer: it's not because of the skills increasing through use (though that does happen as well).

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Wizardry 5 - at level up gaining hit points explanation: reddit
IMHO this is a very stupid and confusing mechanism, sometimes you get 1 hp, sometimes a huge hp injection. Poor gamer is savescumming the hell out of it to avoid the 1 hp increment.
What is the point?

grimer

Learned
I'm not getting anything for the second level up in a row, but I do see my class skills increase automatically on level up, except not skulduggery.

And to make things even clearer: it's not because of the skills increasing through use (though that does happen as well).
a set amount of skill points is automatically allocated to your primary skill at each level up until that skill reaches 51 i think? e.g. hands & feet for ninja, bow for rangers, polearm for valkyries, (they're listed in italics in the manual). so if you get a low roll on skill points for that level, you will have nothing left to distribute manually. you'll eventually max out your most important skills anyway especially if you change classes.

MjKorz

Educated

a set amount of skill points is automatically allocated to your primary skill at each level up until that skill reaches 51 i think? e.g. hands & feet for ninja, bow for rangers, polearm for valkyries, (they're listed in italics in the manual). so if you get a low roll on skill points for that level, you will have nothing left to distribute manually. you'll eventually max out your most important skills anyway especially if you change classes.
Thanks, so it seems I have to disarm traps with my face for the time being and unlock doors by beating the shit out of mobs and looting their keys.

grimer

Learned
Thanks, so it seems I have to disarm traps with my face for the time being and unlock doors by beating the shit out of mobs and looting their keys.
there are also some doors that you can pretty easily force open especially if you have a character with 18 str. i usually just put a couple of points into skullduggery during character creation and save scum the easier locks for skill increases

MjKorz

Educated
there are also some doors that you can pretty easily force open especially if you have a character with 18 str. i usually just put a couple of points into skullduggery during character creation and save scum the easier locks for skill increases
You're right. With copious amounts of savescumming, I managed to pick some doors and raised my skulduggery from a minuscule base of 4 to 16 without leveling. Now I can open doors without too much pain.

7bfdv3.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ok Im reaching out as I'm a little lost:

In Munkharama - finished bean quest - opened the door. Go in there - talk to monk. But now I'm sorta stuck. From scrounging around, I have to use the Moonstone on the Statue but that does nothing. Appears I may need the ?temple? map, but I don't have it. Went to Munkharama after Orkogre Castle.

The good news, most characters switched at level 7 or 8 and are at level 10 in their second class from grinding, also I really am not getting critical hits on me this game like I have in the past. That is, I've been pretty damn lucky so far. The bad news? I've been in the same Munkharama for what seems like forever. Should I just come back later? (and note: as with most things in Wiz7, I probably did it all in the past, but for the like of me can't remember anything.)

MjKorz

Educated
A king who uses the power to walk through walls to acquire cheese pizza?

924smd.jpg

iq9rca.jpg

6ca781.jpg

What the fuck am I reading?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Is there any rule for Wiz5 gaining new spells and sell points?
I had a Level1 mage with two Level1 spells and 2 points.
Leveled up to 2.
No new spell and spell points remained 2.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

In Munkharama - finished bean quest - opened the door. Go in there - talk to monk. But now I'm sorta stuck. From scrounging around, I have to use the Moonstone on the Statue but that does nothing. Appears I may need the ?temple? map, but I don't have it. Went to Munkharama after Orkogre Castle.

The good news, most characters switched at level 7 or 8 and are at level 10 in their second class from grinding, also I really am not getting critical hits on me this game like I have in the past. That is, I've been pretty damn lucky so far. The bad news? I've been in the same Munkharama for what seems like forever. Should I just come back later? (and note: as with most things in Wiz7, I probably did it all in the past, but for the like of me can't remember anything.)

I don't remember any details myself, but if you're stuck I'd go somewhere else. And IIRC there was some way of getting info on the wherabouts of maps; talking to NPCs maybe.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is there any rule for Wiz5 gaining new spells and sell points?
I had a Level1 mage with two Level1 spells and 2 points.
Leveled up to 2.
No new spell and spell points remained 2.
It's based on your Piety for Priests and Intelligence for Mages. If you have low (under 16) scores in these stats it takes a long time to fill up your spell book.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

This part is definitely made easier with the Temple Map. There are hidden objects in the pool surrounding the statue.
Play Wizardry 6 vanilla. The game deserves to be played in its unmodded state the first time.

What mods for Wiz 6 do you know of?
Only the remaster that ports it to the Wiz7 engine.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

This part is definitely made easier with the Temple Map. There are hidden objects in the pool surrounding the statue.
Ok yah - I remember talking to ... the Umpani NPC (Sgt. Gruntwrapper?) and he had the temple map. Now, I only have 6000 gold - possible to steal those maps or do I have to do it the hard way?

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Ok yah - I remember talking to ... the Umpani NPC (Sgt. Gruntwrapper?) and he had the temple map. Now, I only have 6000 gold - possible to steal those maps or do I have to do it the hard way?
I've never tried stealing them. Probably requires really high Legerdemain if it's even possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom