Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Your Rawulf is named Lupus?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't feel too creative back then, sorry.

Anyway, we won, with luck. Now trying to not kill myself each time I encounter 5 groups of 8 Nightgaunts.

Jasede said:
Now trying to not kill myself each time I encounter 5 groups of 8 Nightgaunts.
Those are never fun, I've encounters close to that, though there were a few of just 7 Nightgaunts. They usually won. Now I'm on my way to the Temple. I'm going to shoot for the ending that gets me to start with the Umpani in the next game, I dropped the silver cross.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am stuck. Isle of the Damned, these alcoves where you disturb bones.

Thes 4x2 Zombies and 2 Ghosts just own me. I guess I need to grind a level or two. Argh. Still level ~9-10 everyone.

Jasede said:
Still level ~9-10 everyone.
I spent about 2 hours grinding my characters, trying to get them all up a level. And my Ninja still died fighting the samurai who I as grinding to beat. And my guys were level 12, except for the fighters who were level 13, since they level faster than everyone else.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, are you playing on Expert too? I really don't remember the Samurai giving me trouble on Normal; what attacks does he use? Not playing more today since as things stand, I have no chance of defeating these undead unless I get lucky or get at least another level for my Wizard so he can cast a stronger Thermonuclear Blast. [Too bad there is an awful bug in Wiz 6: If just ONE monster resists "Hit all" spells like TB, ALL monsters automatically resist it too.]

Jasede said:
Hmm, are you playing on Expert too? I really don't remember the Samurai giving me trouble on Normal; what attacks does he use?
No, I'm on normal. But with his sword he would sometimes randomly manage to hit me 3 times for enough damage to kill my fighters with 137 hit points. Plus he and his samurais have fire spells, and I could never guess which person would use them first for my antimagic to be effective, and my magic shield wasn't effective enough.

Sir-tech is a couple of bastards, I just finished one of the last rooms when you start the temple and have to fight those fights for the keys, I finished, manage to have everyone survive. Then my fighters leveled up, and basically everyone had low health. Right after I finished leveling up, before I could save or anything, I was attacked by 5 lesser devils, who killed my fighter. I decided I just had to move on so I had to ressurect a second character. Pathetic.

Although two of my characters died in my final battle which was against Xorphitus, the rest of my party survived, and upon completion of the battle, the two fallen, Ackbar and Fairma, were ressurected. Here is the party post-completion of the game, diamond ring included:

(in order of position starting from 1 ending at 6)

Tajan6.jpg

Ash6.jpg

Ackbar6.jpg

sport6.jpg

sylan6.jpg

fairma6.jpg

Is there something with dosbox that makes the dialogue come slow as hell in Wizardry 7, do I have to upgrade to Gold and it's weird cartoony avatars? Because it has literally taken at least 5 minutes for the opening dialogue with the Umpani that you enlist with. I actually did stuff while waiting and came back and it was still slowly going. Is there a way to fix this or does Wizardry Gold fare better on this front?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I never had problems using Wizardry Gold, so go for it. But I did hear it had some bugs Wizardry 7 doesn't have.

(Why is your priest wearing a cursed headgear?)
(The Jade Figurine is better used by a Monk.)
(In fact, your equipment is awful. :) )

But hey! You made it, congrats. Did you solve most puzzles yourself? I found them pretty fun in Wiz 6 when I played it without a walkthrough like seven or eight years ago. Got stuck at that damn drawbridge forever though, engineers be damned.

How do you take screenshots in Dosbox? Do you want to see my party? We're still stranded on the Island of the Damned, getting killed by 8 uses of Vomits Poisonous Breath and 2 castings of Prismatic Ray, each round.

Ammar

Scholar
Hmm, Dark Savant worked fine for me in DosBox. There is an option somewhere for controlling how fast the text goes, have you tried that? Otherwise try increasing the CPU cycles.

Wiz Gold has problems on it's own. The text goes too fast on a modern windows machine (there's some workaround there IIRC), the diplomacy skill does not work and moving on sea takes too long per tile.

Screenshots are CTRL + F5.

Ammar

Scholar
Jasede said:
Do you know if Wiz Gold has any other bugs?

I sort of remember a big bug but I don't recall which version it applies to. May even be both.
It makes fighters take double damage from just about every enemy.

Monsters have a property that makes them do double damage against a certain class. However, the Devs seems to have just let it stand at default (fighter) for just every monster. *hehe*. Mad God's Editor can fix that, though.

Can't recall anything else, but the issue gets discussed here
http://www.softwarespecialties.com/cgi- ... cboard.cgi
every so often.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Oh I know 'bout that bug; already used Cosmic Forge to fix it. Great piece of software, broadened my understanding of Wizardry 6's mechanics by a lot.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Wow, sportforredneck, this Samurai kills me in 1 turn, no matter what I do. How many levels did you grind there? My group is at level 11 right now. It's difficult because there's so many of them, 2 uber-Samurai, 4 Ninja and 7 Samurai.

Ammar

Scholar
Jasede said:
Wow, sportforredneck, this Samurai kills me in 1 turn, no matter what I do. How many levels did you grind there? My group is at level 11 right now. It's difficult because there's so many of them, 2 uber-Samurai, 4 Ninja and 7 Samurai.

At least it's a good place to grind with the restore HP and MP fountain. You probably know this but you can grind faster by turning in place (just press left arrow). Gets you an encounter faster than walking up and down a corridor.

Jasede said:
But hey! You made it, congrats. Did you solve most puzzles yourself? I found them pretty fun in Wiz 6 when I played it without a walkthrough like seven or eight years ago. Got stuck at that damn drawbridge forever though, engineers be damned.
I could do some puzzles on my own, in the castle and such I could do many from memory alone. But the ones that are mostly trial and error like the drawbridge I looked at a walkthrough. But I could do others like finishing the siren song.
How do you take screenshots in Dosbox? Do you want to see my party? We're still stranded on the Island of the Damned, getting killed by 8 uses of Vomits Poisonous Breath and 2 castings of Prismatic Ray, each round.
I downloaded a free program Quick Screen Capture which allows me to do screenshots of the game. And sure, show off the party.

Jasede said:
I got up to level 13 with my fighters, the rest were level 12, and even then it was a struggle. A lot of my stuff seems to just be luck, like finally beating Xorphitus with only 3 dead.

Ammar said:
Hmm, Dark Savant worked fine for me in DosBox. There is an option somewhere for controlling how fast the text goes, have you tried that? Otherwise try increasing the CPU cycles.
How do you fix the text? I couldn't find it. Also, walking also takes incredibly slow. How else do I fix that. Also I don't know what effect increasing the CPU cycles have on my computer, I turned it up last night to get through the rest of the dialogue, but my computer started humming louder than usual, and I don't want to overheat this bastard or anything.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I just set Delay to 0 and turned the cycles to 15000.

Oh, and the information I gave for importing 6->7 is totally wrong.

It's more like:
SKills import 25-45%;
Attributes are lowered, but not that much (0-5 points each or so);
Items import depending on proce; main thing to remember: if you only EQUIP one item, that one will import, and the rest in the inventory randomly, no matter how good or expensive the item.
Level set to 5; spells remembered randomly (max spell level 3), HP become ~40, MP ~ 40.
PK Crystal, Ring of Stars, Cameo Locket, Diamond Ring, Lute, Angel's Tongue always import.

giantgnome

Scholar
That's what I was saying with the importing from 6-7. There's a lot of randomness to the import, such as how high your skills and attributes start as in 7. I'm pretty sure your charcter level at the end of 6 has some impact on how high your skills are.

For the really great items you can carry one per character. So if you drop all of the Black Knight gear except the Avenger then you can carry the Avenger over. Or you could give one piece to each character. When I play through now I usually store my leather equipment from early in the game so my characters don't all start out naked. There are a few exceptions with really good items-- diamond ring and cameo locket always carry over.

Starting out with an imported team in 7 is hard at first. As far as I can tell the game treats you like you're at level one. Every one of your characters get 1 hit with 1 weapon. Once you level up things get a lot easier.

giantgnome said:
Starting out with an imported team in 7 is hard at first. As far as I can tell the game treats you like you're at level one. Every one of your characters get 1 hit with 1 weapon. Once you level up things get a lot easier.
Plus the stuff is pretty hard as hell. I can't venture out of the Umpani city without rape.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
That's true. Wizardry 7 is a lot harder than 8, or 6.

And yes, I used Cosmic Forge, giantgnome. Your imported level 5 party is treated as level 1 when it comes to to-hit rolls and resists and attacks/round.

I've mostly been shooting in the firing range, and wandering around the city for random encounters. I've gotten to level 6 with every character, but I don't think that'll be enough. So I'm not going to actually start really getting into the game until I grind up.

Ammar

Scholar
sportforredneck said:
I've mostly been shooting in the firing range, and wandering around the city for random encounters. I've gotten to level 6 with every character, but I don't think that'll be enough. So I'm not going to actually start really getting into the game until I grind up.

You could try to complete the Umpani quests until you get access to the teleporter to New City. I sort of remember being able to complete them with my imported parties - the imported weapons (Murasame, Avenger or Excalibur, etc.) go a long way to offset the level of the monsters.

I think Wizardry 7 is a lot easier with a imported party since good weapons are hard to come by.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Ammar has a good point. Really, do the Umpani quests. If you don't it will be very, very hard because you actually got maybe the hardest starting position you can get. [Though being close to Nycthalicinth (?) or the Dane Tower aren't that desirable either.]

I also noticed your Wiz 6 party has awful, awful equipment, but that can't be remedied now. Hopefully you managed to import the Avenger? Also, remember that your Lord (and actually, everyone else too) can dual-wield, you could use an off-hand weapon and The Avenger at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom