Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Jasede said:
Ammar has a good point. Really, do the Umpani quests.
I can't yet, if I go into the forest to scope it out, I get killed. Hence why right now I'm grinding. But I plan on doing those once I'm good enough.

Hopefully you managed to import the Avenger?
Nope. From what I hear, because I had all the dark knight's armor on, the avenger didn't transfer over. I do have my bushido blade and spear of death though. Plus what was wrong with my equipment? It got the job done.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, let's see.

The Giant Sledge has -4 To Hit or so.
The Coxcomb increases your AC; it is cursed.
The Ankh of Phyre is one of three or four Ankhs that provide no AC bonus.
The Avenger is 1-handed; you could have equipped a shield, or better yet, an off-hand weapon.

But hey, like you said, it got the job done!

giantgnome

Scholar
sportforredneck, if you have your .dbs save from wizardry 6 you can back it up, load it in 6 and try dropping all except one of the super items for each character to get what you want to import. What I mean is drop all the dark knight equipment except the Avenger and you should start with that. The same goes for any other of the really good equipment. You don't have to worry about the Diamond ring, though, that won't count against you as it always imports. That is if you don't mind going through whatever you've already gone through in 7 again.

EDIT:

From http://www.softwarespecialties.com/wizfaq_wiz7.html
Cheats/Tricks/Tips
Q: What are the rules on how characters transfer from Bane to Guardia
A:
A number of items transfer always, and automatically. They are:
Non-magical weaponry and armor,
Ring of Stars,
Diamond Ring,
Cameo Locket,
Amulet of life,
PK crystal,
Silver Cross,
Ankhs of Life,
Poet's lute,
Angels' Tongue,
Potions,
Sparkle stix, Icicle stix, and their ilk,
Rod of Sprites.

A number of items will never transfer. They are:
Ankhs (other than Ankh of Life),
most amulets,
Musical instruments (other than those listed above.),
Books.

Then there are the powerful magic items -- the super weapons and armor you typically pick up on the Isle of the Dead. Each
character gets to bring ONE of these across (sometimes a character may get two items). If a character "equips" one and only one
item, that will be the one he/she/it gets to bring into DS. Thus, to choose which "special" item your party gets to import, simply equip
only one of these special items per character.

(4) Starting Gold depends on your Bane-ending/DS-beginning. The possibilities are:

take the Forge and start near the Dane tower: 5,000 gp;
fly with Bela and start near Ukpyr: 10,000 gp;
fly with the Savant and start near Nyctalinth: 0 gp;
take none of the Bane endings and fly with Altheides, and you start in the same place as a beginning DS party with 0 gp.

In addition to items your party transfers from Bane, they may "pick up" some basic equipment on their trip -- this is almost always a weapon that the character would start with if he/she/it were a beginning DS character, so a fighter may pick up a long sword, a bard may pick up a sling and bullets, a samurai may pick up a katana. You also pick up a Journey map kit.

Characters lose a bit in class levels, hit points, skill points, spells, spell points, and even attribute points, depending upon the character's level at the time of transfer:

Class Level: No character starts DS above 5th level, no matter how high a level he/she/it achieved in Bane. If the character changed classes shortly before transferring to DS and is only 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th level in the new class at the time of transfer, the character starts DS as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th level character, respectively. If the character was 5th level or higher at the time of transfer, that character starts DS as a 5th level character. Starting hit points, skill points, and spell points all are linked to the character's starting level. Starting spells and skills do not appear to be linked to the character's starting level.

Attribute Points: At lower levels, characters do not tend to lose any attribute points in the transition to DS. If, however, the character was a world-beating superstar (e.g., 20th+ level, with all 18s (or close to it)), he/she/it WILL lose attribute points in the transfer, even losing points from karma.

Hit Points: Starting hit points are NOT based on starting class, they are based exclusively on starting character level. First level characters tend to have 8-16 hit points, while 5th level characters tend to have around 40. The other levels are in between.

Skills and Skill Points: Characters do not lose skills when they transfer, but they may lose skill points. As long as a character has at least one point in a skill at the end of Bane, he/she/it will have at least one point in that skill after transferring, even if the character is now a member of a class that otherwise does not have access to that skill. Skill points, however, depend upon two factors. First, a character will never start DS with a skill at a higher level than it was is Bane. With that limitation, starting skill level is directly related to starting character level. First level characters will have 1-3 skill points in each skill, while 5th level characters will have around 40 skill points in each skill. The other levels are in between.

(e) Spells and Spell Points: Characters lose a lot of both of these. Spells retained are random, they do NOT appear to be related to the character's starting level. A character will retain most 1st level spells, many 2nd level spells, and some 3rd level spells. No spells above 3rd level are retained. Spell points ARE related to the character's starting level. First level characters have around 10 spell points in each category (provided they had at least that many spell points in the same category prior to transferring), while 5th level characters have around 40. The other levels are in between. (Sensing a pattern, here?)

I've leveled up and did a few missions for the Umpani, to where the encampment is bombed, so about 2 or so. Right now I'm in Old City after using their teleportation device and finding the ladder down. Obviously not doing this to level up since all those creatures are much lower levels than I am. I was looking for the "legend" map.

Ammar

Scholar
sportforredneck said:
I've leveled up and did a few missions for the Umpani, to where the encampment is bombed, so about 2 or so. Right now I'm in Old City after using their teleportation device and finding the ladder down. Obviously not doing this to level up since all those creatures are much lower levels than I am. I was looking for the "legend" map.

Well, good luck getting there first.

Binary

Liturgist
Need your help here guys, take a look at the party at the end of Wiz6:

So I managed to start with some nifty items from my front line chars like the Avenger, Muramasa blade, Spear of Death etc etc. Unfortunately, I get the impression my two last chars (Priest and Alchemist) didn't import anything useful. Any ideas or suggestions?

giantgnome

Scholar
You can always put some of the ebony armor or mantis gear in their inventory. They can't equip it but it might transfer with them. Your alchemist will probably end up taking one of the robes of enchant (upper or lower) right now and maybe the shadow cloak. Your priest will probably take the holy basher. Some of the other things on there never transfer (the rings, amulets) and there's a good chance your lord is going to be naked starting out in 7.

Binary

Liturgist
giantgnome said:
You can always put some of the ebony armor or mantis gear in their inventory. They can't equip it but it might transfer with them. Your alchemist will probably end up taking one of the robes of enchant (upper or lower) right now and maybe the shadow cloak. Your priest will probably take the holy basher. Some of the other things on there never transfer (the rings, amulets) and there's a good chance your lord is going to be naked starting out in 7.

The alchemist brought indeed the robes of enchant (upper). Is it better to drop everything but the shadow cloak? The priest did not bring the holy basher, but brought that Fur Halter.

The lord did not start naked as he was given almost full armor. The Valkyrie however started with no armor but for the spear

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well the Valkyrie should import the Maenad's Lance because it's ten times better than the Spear of Death.

The Alchemist could import the Cloak of Deflection you get for killing Xorphitus. -4 AC is very, very nice.

And the priest, well, Holy Basher is nice to have at the start of Wiz 6, so I don't really have a good suggestion. Priests and Alchemists can't equip many useful things, sadly. That Cloak of Deflection is a must though, in my opinion. The Avenger is outclassed by Excalibur, but it's a very rare item, so no sweat there.

Please look at these statistics:

Spear of Death:
+1 to Hit
5-9 damage
15% chance for weak poison
2% instant kill

And compare:

Maenad's Lance:
2-24 damage
+3 to hit
+3 iniative
grants hit point regeneration
10% instant kill

You really should use the idetnify spell.

The Shadow Cloak sucks. The Spear of Death sucks. Bring the Maenad's Lance and the Cloak of Deflection.

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede, it was my impression that the Spear of Death can be brought into Wiz8, and the Maenad's Lance can't?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well, that's true, but why'd you bring the Spear of Death into Wizardry 8 when the Shock Rods you find in 7 use the same skill, can be imported, and do WAY more damage?

Secondly, you -will- need the Maenad's Lance far more since the beginning of Wizardry 7 is more than a little rough, especially if you follow Bela.

You shouldn't worry about Wizardry 8. 8 is easy. Worry about 7; 7 is rape.

Here, think about this:

Would you rather

- Make the beginning of a VERY hard game much easier, and have a fine time in the much easier Wizardry 8

or

- Make the beginning of a VERY hard game harder by not getting Lance, hence making the beginning of 8 - not a hard game - a tiny bit easier?

Knowing full well Shock Rods are better than the Spear of Death anyway, and a guaranteed drop? They even use the same skill!

giantgnome

Scholar
Jasede is right. Besides there's a good enough chance that you'll find the spear of death in the dragon cave in 7, and you'll get one stun rod at nycalinth that won't be great in 7 but is a great starting weapon for 8.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Four stun rods and two shock rods (the latter being better) if you can force the door to the armory storage. (Or maybe there's a way to side with the T'Rang to get access?)

The spear of death has been pretty good to me so far. I didn't know the lance was that good though, probably should've checked on that. My fighter's already have their sword skill up to 100 again now, since I've equip them with 2 each. If only I still had the avenger though. I'm figuring out my way to Orkogre castle right now, I'm in the Orkogre forest.

giantgnome

Scholar
stun rod does 5-12 dmg, +1 initiative, 20% paralyze, 75% drain stamina. Shock Rod is 2-7 dmg, -8 initiative, 50% drain stamina. The rack of T'rang Rods shows 4 shock rods and 1 stun rod. you also have a 5% change of getting a stun rod from the t'rang ultimate loot and a 25% change of a shock rod. Also I don't think you can get the spear of death in 7 like I originally thought. There's no loot listed for it in the cosmic forge editor.

And sadly there's no way to have the T'rang allow you in. You have to force the door or get one of the finger rods.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Oh, my mistake. I always confuse the Stun Rod with the Shock Rod. Shock sounds like it's better.

How do you get into that rack normally? I just forced it, but my party imported with 17-19 STR for everyone, so I can force every door, even Blienmeis' for two Cane of Corpus. [HAH]

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Secondly, you -will- need the Maenad's Lance far more since the beginning of Wizardry 7 is more than a little rough, especially if you follow Bela.

I believe I followed Bela. I started near the Umpani and the monsters outside cut me in pieces :(

I don't have any cloak of displacement (and I did kill Xorphitus). any other suggestion as to what should my Cleric bring? Is it worth it to change her class again just to bring another different item?

Also how does the map kit work on wiz 7? My chars have 0 mapping and I don't even remember how it's used (clicking on it and then on "read" doesn't seem to do anything)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
What, are you sure? The Displacer Cloak is a 100% chance item you get when meeting Rebecca, when you get the Diamond Ring and choose not to kill the King. You get this, and the Vennal Robes, and the North Exit Key and the Ring of Stars there, if I am not mistaken. The point where you get it is the secret door RIGHT behind Xorphitus.

I wouldn't change class, but hey, if you think it's worth it? It's just that having a pure priest and pure anything really makes the beginning of Wizardry 7 easier. In 8, all classes are pretty well-balanced (except for the Bishop, who is retardely powerful), but in 6 and 7, pure caster classes really help in the first few levels.

If you make him bring the Holy Basher that's great. But really, get that Displacer Cloak! Where'd you drop it? It's a 100% drop!

Map kit is used by using the "use" button while in the "travel around" view. The use button is the button to the bottom right, that looks like a hand unlocking a door. (Don't confuse it with the "open" button that looks like a keyhole.)

If you follow Bela, really do try to join the Umpani ASAP. I don't remember having trouble with that, and since you start with 10K gold, you can easily afford the 8K for Umpani Recruit Starter Gear. Then buy firearms training and practice using your firearms; they really helped me early-on. [And later on, but reloading the blunderbuss manually every turn isn't everyone's idea of a good time.]

giantgnome

Scholar
Join the Umpani but when you go to buy the gear tell them that you can't afford it. Not only will they drop the price they'll throw in a walriblade as well. You could actually sell the gear right back for more than you paid, if you wanted to. I like to keep it, and I store gear I want for later right next to Paluke's in New City to grab before ending the game. The Walriblade will transfer to 8 and it isn't a terrible weapon to start with.

Jasede, I looked in the editor for the finger rods. The finger rods are in Nyctalinth, quadrant 1 (1,4), if that helps any. You get a message about them hanging on the wall and being afraid of where they might be inserted.

Binary

Liturgist
Considering doing a "Let's Play" of Wiz7 but:

a) I never finished it so there will be missteps somewhere down the line

b) I'm sure there's a better way of posting screenshots than the one I did above

c) There's possibly even a better way to capture screenshots directly out of DOSBox that I'm not aware of

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
:( I wrote three times I'd do one of 6 to 8 in September, but I guess, go ahead.

You'd do a better job than me though. The key-combination to make screenshots in DosBox was written in this thread, I asked for it. CTRL+F5 maybe? I don't know, look around.

I've been doing Wizardry 7 all kinds of out of order. I haven't done a few things in New City, I couldn't find Orkorge, and instead ended up at Nyctalinth, then to get past Nyctalinth to blow up the eggs, I have to do things in the Munk place, but before I can do that I have to do things at New City as well as Orkogre, so it'll be a hell of a time getting to all of these things. It might be helpful to use a map, but so far all I've done in wander the roads.

Zomg

Arbiter
Don't want to read the thread because of spoilers but I'm thinking of doing a 6-7-8 run.

Tell me to what extent I'm going to have to face old game bullshit like permanent stat changes decided by random dice rolls and so on. If it's some shit like RoA where most players save before every level up to make sure they get a hit point, tell me and I'll resolve to Iron Man the fucker come hell or high water.

Tell me what and how to roll the party. Don't tell me why, just tell me what six characters to make and what stats to give them such that I won't gimp myself, won't miss any combat, and won't have to do anything too tricky build-wise until I've got several hours with the system under my belt.

Tell me what skills don't do anything, tell me what skills I never need to put a point in, what skill I need to have at 7 at a certain point in the game to get the Sword of Buttfuck, etc.

Tell me what I shouldn't exploit that will make the game unfun. Like, if you're familiar with Betrayal at Krondor, you know that only a huge, huge faggot would change his skill foci before every single action he takes, even though that's obviously the best "strategy". Or, if there's some fairly obvious way to set up a money engine or something, tell me what not to do.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Are you willing to grind levels to make it easier, or use a "quasi-exploit"? The "quasi-exploit" isn't needed if you play "Normal", but on Expert it's a must.

If you are willing to grind a longer time [think 2 sessions ~30 minutes in addition to normal survival grinding] my suggested party will differ (due to multiclassing, a very powerful process. Though if you like, you can choose never to bother with it at all. You will be slightly weaker, but will save a lot of grinding and will have no trouble in "Normal" mode no matter what.)

Zomg

Arbiter
I would like get the maximum challenge for the minimum grind; if that's normal without multiclassing, sounds good to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom