Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

kmonster

Augur
Admiral jimbob said:
Resting was slow in Wizardry 7? DOSBox and I don't know what you mean.
Resting for 8 hours in Wizardry 6 took a few seconds, in Wizardry 7 it took about 1 minute real time. And you only regenerated a few HP and SP per rest independent of level, so you could rest for 30 minutes real time (if you were extremely lucky and didn't get interrupted) without fully regenerating the spell points spent with one spell.
You could of course walk zigzag across the whole world instead to one of the few mana regenerating locations, in this case (in combination with the quest design which forces to travel to one end of the world and back again and again many times) you could say instead:
Then late early 90s came and the genius David W. Bradley said, "let's make our games longer, how? umm... how about making resting 10 times slower forcing the player to walk across the same empty areas 10 times as often ? brilliant! one variable changed and our games are instantly 10 times as big".

DraQ

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Can I still use bard instruments if I change my bard to a gadgeteer? Thinking of changing her to one in the late game, but if not, that might sway me.
You should be able to. I never dualed, but they only have music and bard level as requirements, they don't seem class restricted.

You will lose ability to use class specific gear, though, and bards have some nice stuff in this category.

Still, bards seem to be the class that is best suited for dualing, since their skill bonus is mostly worthless, special ability, while nice, is not that essential, and their main strength carries over through dual classing.

Do take note that while the combo looks pretty sound, you will make an extremely shit gadgeteer, after dualing, with crappy omnigun, and very low engineering skill. You will also suffer from limited inventory space you'll have to divide between gadgets and instruments.

Personally I've always thought about stuff like making combat bard and dualing him to fighter, rogue, or some hybrid, resulting in much heavier hitting and possibly better protected combat bard.

mondblut

Arcane
kmonster said:
Older games aren't generally faster paced than newer games, no newer game designer would dare to artificially lengthen game playing time as much like Bradley did in Wizardry 7 for example.

Except that making it across the whole gaming world takes only a couple of minutes. You can get from New City to Nyctalinth faster in Wiz7 than you walk from weapon store to armor store in an average MM6 town.

That is, unless encounters are involved - then you get from New City to Nyctalinth faster than a single MM6 monster finishes moving on his first turn.

in Wizardry 7 you'd be occupied 30 hours with random encounters doing the same.

Make a better party :smug:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Yeah, kmonster, I know what you meant - I spent a lot of Wizardry 7 using the DOSBox speed-up function, and if it hadn't been available I might have quit the game in rage halfway through.

DraQ said:
Do take note that while the combo looks pretty sound, you will make an extremely shit gadgeteer, after dualing, with crappy omnigun, and very low engineering skill. You will also suffer from limited inventory space you'll have to divide between gadgets and instruments.

Personally I've always thought about stuff like making combat bard and dualing him to fighter, rogue, or some hybrid, resulting in much heavier hitting and possibly better protected combat bard.

Good points, hadn't thought about those. How does the Omnigun work, won't it level with my Gadgeteer? As for engineering, any way to skill grind it? She doesn't really have enough combat skills to make a decent fighter/rogue, and with my Lord, Samurai, Monk and Vi I'm pretty set for fighters as it is.

Also, beat Nessie on my return trip from the Sea Caves at levels 14-15 with no character deaths. Felt good :smug: Will there ever be a better Samurai weapon than the Bloodlust sword that gives the berserk ability? Even swords which eclipse it in raw damage don't seem to make up for that considerable benefit.

Immensely enjoying the game now after a pretty dragging first third. Despite its slowness and slight clunkiness, it might be my favourite of the games so far.

DraQ

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Good points, hadn't thought about those. How does the Omnigun work, won't it level with my Gadgeteer?
It will, but it takes about 26 gadgeteer levels to reach full potential, about 16 to start being good and at least 7 to merely stop sucking.

As for engineering, any way to skill grind it?
(Ab)use gadgets a lot.

She doesn't really have enough combat skills to make a decent fighter/rogue, and with my Lord, Samurai, Monk and Vi I'm pretty set for fighters as it is.
She will stay a good bard, mind you, but with limited inventory space and high level instruments VS low level gadgets to choose from, I doubt that she will develop her second profession without a lot of grinding.

You may try alleviating Omnigun shittiness by using some good modern weapon instead for some levels, but the rest of the points still stand. At least you can count on fairly fast learning by use since she'll have relevant attributes all raised up.
Will there ever be a better Samurai weapon than the Bloodlust sword that gives the berserk ability? Even swords which eclipse it in raw damage don't seem to make up for that considerable benefit.
Well, Muramasa, *Light* *Sword* or Excaliber may be worthwhile replacements, but all are random.

From lower level weapons Fang, if your samurai is strongly focused on critting stuff, or Giant Sword if he is a Mook may work well, but not necessarily better than Bloodlust.

Immensely enjoying the game now after a pretty dragging first third. Despite its slowness and slight clunkiness, it might be my favourite of the games so far.
:salute:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Might as well give it a go if she won't lose any real bard effectiveness from it. I don't mind skill grinding for a while. I did terrible, terrible things with divine trap and knock knock.

I'm wondering, though - what kind of levels should I be expecting to reach by the endgame? I'm about levels 15-16 now, have all three artifacts and am on my way to hand in the rescue the scout/find the coordinates quests to the two factions (aiming for the alliance). Doesn't seem like there's too much left to do barring clearing a few mostly-empty-looking areas.

Also (for people who've played 6-8) is it true that there's an ending only available to those who've taken one party through the Dark Savant trilogy?

mondblut

Arcane
Well, there is a bit near the end where you use certain something back from Wizardry 6. I don't think it affected endings though, moar liek an easter egg.

Also,
Despite its slowness and slight clunkiness, it might be my favourite of the games so far.
sellout :decline:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
And now making my way through Ascension Peak. Itz all bulding to a close, itz. Been some fucking journey. The Bard/Gadgeteer is proving a bit of a waste of time; I waited until I was level 18 and could use all bard instruments before switching, but that seems to have been far too late in the game. Four gadgeteer levels just aren't enough to do anything interesting with. And so Oprah remains the useless runt of the party.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I'm playing Wizardry 8 now. I'll be honest: Are Psionicists any good? I've heard they are absolutely terrible compared to other classes, but KKKodex opinion rules all.

Mine has only one useful spell so far, insanity, and I'm finding him rather boring, but I've always wanted to play one in a game, since it's a less trendy class to choose. Wanted to know how it rated up!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I didn't even bother developing my monk's psionic skill. Didn't seem worth it at all, Divinity/Wizardry/bard instruments covered pretty much everything I needed. Hypnotic lure seems pretty useful, but I'll probably ignore it on replays anyway. Pure classes as a whole don't seem that good compared to hybrids, but probably make for an easier (ie harder to fuck up) first playthrough.

DraQ

Arcane
ArcturusXIV said:
I'm playing Wizardry 8 now. I'll be honest: Are Psionicists any good? I've heard they are absolutely terrible compared to other classes, but KKKodex opinion rules all.

Mine has only one useful spell so far, insanity, and I'm finding him rather boring, but I've always wanted to play one in a game, since it's a less trendy class to choose. Wanted to know how it rated up!
Pretty awesome - insanity, psi blast, haste, hypnotic lures, etc.

Renegen

Arcane
ArcturusXIV said:

Insanity is great, a really useful spell. They have a few others like that, but their problem is that they are one dimentional and that their end game spells suck really hard. Yes the Psionicist is the worst class in Wizardry 8. But any party combination you can think of is viable, I just assemble a random party and go.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Worst of the 4 spell realms.

Yeah yeah I hear you cry out already, but if you had to ignore one of the 4 realms of magic, make it psi.

And the best way to play the game is still: take whatever party you like. Who cares? Just play it.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Aaaand done. Wore my new top hat for the occasion. Hell of a series, don't think I can pick a favourite - or even a top two - out of 6-8. Though 7 is definitely top two.

Final party:

Helga, Dwarf Valkyrie/Lord through all the games. Even though she usually paled in damage compared to the monk and the samurai, she proved a great tank who could hold her own as well as provide a great priest. Her drill-sergeant-lady voice in Wizardry 8 scared me.

McFurry, Felpurr Fighter/Samurai. Consistently great damage dealer, never bothered developing his mage skills much considering I had a mage and bishop (sometimes two bishops). Nothing much to say, but he was totally indispensible. Probably my best character through most of 8 thanks to the Bloodlust sword/lightsaber. Had a pretentious French hunter accent in 8. It suited him.

Shagrug, Mook Monk/Ninja. Another great damage dealer who probably ended up dishing out the most raw damage by the end of each game. Generally a bit of a slow starter, though. Didn't bother developing his psionic skills. Out of my three fighters, probably my least favourite, but that's not saying much. His 8 voiceset was... I'm not really sure. A sort of laid back worldly-wise person obsessed with dancing?

Oprah, Human Bard/Mage/Gadgeteer/Cumdumpster. Worst member of the team. Always started out a Bard and ended as whatever I thought might give her a modicum of usefulness. This rarely succeeded. Ended up a mage in 6 and 7 and a gadgeteer in 8. Wasn't good at any of it, except barding through the first half of 8. Voice was of an obnoxious housewife who kept going on about her tragic love life.

Rolf, Fairy Mage/Bishop. Great mage, not much more to it. Wish I'd made him a Bishop in 8, as he ended up paling slightly next to the Bishop, who did everything he could do and more. Ah well. Probably made for a better Bishop in 6-7, and a great disabler/debuffer in 8.

Faget, Elf Priest/Bishop. The better Bishop. Lovely man, despite his being an elf.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Alright, I am FUCKED. Good news is, I have my back against a wall, the bad news is I am boxed in by 7 juggernauts and 4 rank weeds. These niggers have me surrounded, and I have lost combat twice, taking a total of two hours, making me NOT want to play since I can't save between rounds.

My party is listed above.

I have a lightning rod, quite a few items, tons of alchemist spells, and so far, nothing useful except insanity and a couple items on my psi.

My front line is valkyrie, monk, samurai, but they can't even hit.

Between keeping me nauseated, poisoned, unconscious, and generally FUCKED, I cannot seem to beat these guys. Faerie dust? Check. One cherry bomb? Check. Plenty of heals? Check.

My party's around level 10.

If I reload, I cannot get away, so I am forced to face this, but I do not want to waste another two hours with bullshit that won't let me save. I have had a group wipe twice, and no salvation, the first time none of my spells misfired and I had them down to two guys, one of them at 17 life.

My alchemist has nauseating what-the-fuck-ever, whipping rocks, and the fiery shield that surrounds the party. My other character's spells are negligible, though I've messed around a bit, they are all two low to be useful besides terror (monk), and heals (valkyrie), both very low level.

Any chance of success? Again, tips.

Thanks,

A14

PS: What makes me mad is I can't even fight back against these guys! FUCKING UNCONSCIOUS MOST OF THE TIME. I have smelling salts, 3 of them, on my valkyrie, but it takes a round to use. Not that it matters, I can't hit these fuckers without spells, so I have 3 meatshields.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
This is my first fucking playthrough. Meaning I do not want my game wrecked, I want to finish, in over my head or not.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I've been using Faerie Dust, will try Blind or something similar, I have a single-person paralyze as well. They can only come at me one at a time, which helps. Unfortunately, there are 7 of them, and the other four are ranged.

Renegen

Arcane
The juggernauts miss a lot on easy. Try that. I'd say your priority is to kill the weeds. You'll also need to conserve stamina somehow, that will slowly kill you.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I feel your pain. My time in the purgatory of Arnika Road was spent avoiding a rape squad of eleven juggernauts that roamed the roads even after they should have despawned.

I met them again during my last trip before heading to Ascension Peak. It was glorious.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
It must be my stamina, I can't figure out exactly what it affects, no game manual. I have the original discs, no box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom