Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

DraQ

Arcane
There is a "quick walk" program for Wizardry 8 that speeds it up some.
Yeah, it's called "shift key".

Just don't use it when there are encounters ahead.

Dumb.

No, we are talking about speeding up the moves of opponents in combat, Moron. There is a program for that, too.

So you don't have to sit all day while they position themselves like your lawn furniture when the moving van comes.
That's wizfast and everyone uses it already.

"Quick walk" automatically brings to mind increasing of out of combat game speed, presumably to make it similar to old tile-based blobers where you could traverse the map as fast as you could physically press the movement keys.

kmonster

Augur
Slowness is a characteristic feature of the wizardry series (except part 4), if you don't like slowness, don't play wizardry.

kmonster

Augur
Slowness is a characteristic feature of the wizardry series (except part 4), if you don't like slowness, don't play wizardry.

I don't know; Wizardry 7 runs at a good clip with delay set to 0. Except when enemies shift lines around. That is annoying as hell.
You mean at a setting which doesn't let you read anything. Without any combat feedback or the chance to read messages required for quests, without being able to understand what you're doing. This might work if you've a walkthrough at hand and don't care about understanding what's going on at all, but even then you'll still face other aspects of slowness in the game.

Kylearan

Educated
Without any combat feedback or the chance to read messages required for quests, without being able to understand what you're doing. This might work if you've a walkthrough at hand and don't care about understanding what's going on at all

Whoa, take it easy there tiger. Besides, I was agreeing with you: there are some slow aspects to the game. The line-switching, resting, and unskippable dialogues definitely apply (bloody T'Shober!).

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
ThreadNecroCArd.jpg

Good gods I love this game. I've installed it today, downloaded christian coder's mod (that supposedly balances items and stuffies) and just spent half this day on tinkering with different characters and various party schemes. Finally I rolled with a bit unconventional one. It features Human Priest (converted to Lord on 2nd lvl), Elf Rogue, Dwarf Monk (never played one), Wookie Alchemist (->Ranger on 2nd), Gnome Engineer and Faerie Bishop (three schools). Steamrolled through lower monastery (well, damned Gregor took some tries and bombs to kill), but soon enough I began to think about restarting with a different team. Oh, and also, is it normal to reach 4th level before going upstairs? One thing that was burnt in my mind is that if you reach a certain level (was it 5th? 6th?) before going down the road to Arnika, you're pretty much fucked.
The possibilities are endless. There's been no game that came close to Wizardries in this regard. I can think only of Realms of Arkania, Icewind Dale and ToEE that made me think about party composition for more than ten minutes, and still their combinations are severly limited.

One question, is there a mod that cuts down on random spawns on arnika road? or maybe any hints on how to do it with the editor?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I never really got the Arnika Road problems. It's not that difficult. And you can always try to kite some encounters or rest in the valley with the house to get more favorable spawns.

Renegen

Arcane
Arnika road is random. You can have 3 plants with eyes in the back of their head that cannot be evaded and butcher your party or you can have absolutely nothing. Cherry bombs are useful here.

Since the thread got necroed, I'll post my latest party. I only play with everything randomized but wanted to get a mage heavy party. The group is composed of a Dracon Ninja specializing in daggers (for insta kill), Felpurr Priest (high speed), Faerie Lord (was Priest until lvl 12, uses daggers for insta kill, cant hit for shit), Elf Bishop (psionics), Felpurr Alchemist (high speed, earth) and a Dwarf Mage (fire, water). The DPS is a really serious problem and the game was never meant for such a party so I was forced to use RPCs. Currently using Madras for the first time and Myles after the stupid Trang samurai bugged out. I learned a lot of new things with the party and it's really coming into its own, I'm currently around lvl 13 in Baijin where everything is 15+. And all those insta kill daggers are also compensating for the low DPS, I feel the party will be godly at end game.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Where did you find so many instakill daggers Renegen? I remember trying dagger ninja last time I played, but found my first ninjato only somewhere around underwater tunnels and couldn't find the second one for shit. No Sais for me either (I think you can get them randomly in the armory in Trynton, but of course I didn't). Just unlucky drops I guess. There are these good ones that Don sometimes sells, but these are Rogue only, right?

DraQ

Arcane
Good gods I love this game. I've installed it today, downloaded christian coder's mod (that supposedly balances items and stuffies) and just spent half this day on tinkering with different characters and various party schemes. Finally I rolled with a bit unconventional one. It features Human Priest (converted to Lord on 2nd lvl), Elf Rogue, Dwarf Monk (never played one), Wookie Alchemist (->Ranger on 2nd), Gnome Engineer and Faerie Bishop (three schools).
Doesn't seem terribly unconventional, TBH. Well, Dwarf Monk is, but this is kind of conventional unconventional race/class combo, as it's even discussed in the manual.

Steamrolled through lower monastery (well, damned Gregor took some tries and bombs to kill)
I no longer play non-ironman Wiz8 - I simply know this game too well already for TPK to be much of a loss to me.

Not something I would recommend to first- or second-timer, though.

but soon enough I began to think about restarting with a different team.
Wiz8 is about as prone to restartitis as TES games are.

Oh, and also, is it normal to reach 4th level before going upstairs? One thing that was burnt in my mind is that if you reach a certain level (was it 5th? 6th?) before going down the road to Arnika, you're pretty much fucked.

Arnika road is random. You can have 3 plants with eyes in the back of their head that cannot be evaded and butcher your party or you can have absolutely nothing. Cherry bombs are useful here.
Well, you don't have to run the gauntlet, you can always retreat and rest, hoping for better odds tomorrow. There is bandit camp that makes a relatively safe spot after you clear it, then there is a completely safe spot behind Umpani outpost, then you have numerous semi-safe crevices. If you make it past the hogar somehow* and clear the ticks you can also use the cave near exit to Northern wilderness.

Arnika road isn't that bad.

*) Good luck, you will need quite a lot of it
:troll:

Since the thread got necroed, I'll post my latest party. I only play with everything randomized but wanted to get a mage heavy party. The group is composed of a Dracon Ninja specializing in daggers (for insta kill), Felpurr Priest (high speed), Faerie Lord (was Priest until lvl 12, uses daggers for insta kill, cant hit for shit), Elf Bishop (psionics), Felpurr Alchemist (high speed, earth) and a Dwarf Mage (fire, water). The DPS is a really serious problem and the game was never meant for such a party so I was forced to use RPCs. Currently using Madras for the first time and Myles after the stupid Trang samurai bugged out. I learned a lot of new things with the party and it's really coming into its own, I'm currently around lvl 13 in Baijin where everything is 15+. And all those insta kill daggers are also compensating for the low DPS, I feel the party will be godly at end game.
I only don't get the Dracon Ninja - Dracons are versatile and great race for wide range of often surprising professions, but I would imagine them being poor instakillers.
Ok, Faerie Lord is a bit weird, though I imagine this kind of character makes for some nice flavour, especially for magic-heavy Lord, though I would imagine speed/crit centric Monk or Samurai with a lot of casting to work much better, if only due to less reliance on strength (crits) and availability of low-weight weapons. For Faerie Lord I would concentrate on getting an Assassin's Cap (but it's late-game item) and either dual stilettos, or offhand stiletto combined with Fang, possibly upgraded to *Light* *Sword* if you're lucky. There are some other nice swords and rapiers Faeries can use (like Ivory Blade), but they mostly lack +kill which is important for a weak hitter (shit, I don't remember if Faeries take any sort permanent malus to hitting power along with carry weight, but in any case they'll be lagging in damage output for some time). With any of them you might benefit from going with offhand wands instead - Winterwand is p. hardcore.

Fucking great game. The more people learn about this one the better.

Has anyone ever fucked with a Lizardman bishop?
I would imagine slow mana regen to be a royal pain in the ass.

I do have some low level save with a Dracon bishop (planned to be elementalist - Alc/Wiz, with breath weapon in reserve and possibly death staff or whutsitcalled Staff of Doom for solid melee capability) stashed somewhere, though.
No, but I'm sure sgc_meltdown can help you with that.
:lol:
Where did you find so many instakill daggers Renegen? I remember trying dagger ninja last time I played, but found my first ninjato only somewhere around underwater tunnels and couldn't find the second one for shit. No Sais for me either (I think you can get them randomly in the armory in Trynton, but of course I didn't). Just unlucky drops I guess. There are these good ones that Don sometimes sells, but these are Rogue only, right?
Well, there are stilettos which are dime a dozen and even better than sai (10% kill) - too bad, they are not usable by ninjas.

Thieves Dagger is indeed powerful, but cursed and rogue only - it's awesome in tandem with Bloodlust in the hands of Dracon Rogue (acid breath as ranged weapon doesn't need hands) built for fast and heavy hitting.

Renegen

Arcane
I went on random.org and just pulled random race/class combinations, they don't have to make sense. The Dracon Ninja isn't that bad, Ninjas have a problem with stamina and Dracons cover that, not to mention he's my "tank" so I also made use of the high vitality. On the other hand, the dracon's dexterity and speed are very low so the Ninja should only become a godly 6+ hit machine late game. I've had worse combinations than Faerie Priest, in fact it's a pretty good combination. The worst was a Faerie Valkyrie, couldn't use a single spear. :lol:

If anyone can get past the Hogar (not gonna happen without a melee heavy party) then it's worth to just not come back to Arnika at all. You can recruit Sax really early on, get the experience from doing Umpani quests, get some items there, even kite mt. Gigas.

As for insta kill daggers, you can buy all of them. I think I have 3 stilettos, 1 Sais, 2 Ninjatos and 2 Thief Daggers. Crock sells most of them I believe, some were just drops.

Renegen

Arcane
Why not use 2 daggers? Your skill will improve faster and thus gain more attacks per round. I'm doing that for the Faerie Lord but only out of necessity. A Samurai would be better since he has critical strike on top of dual weapons and daggers, not to mention lightning strike!

When it comes to weapons, I don't try to rush for a particular one. I instead decide in the order I tackle areas, usually decided by what RPC I want to experiment with that time. My last game I got trapped in the Rapax Castle so now I'm going to avoid it and finally get a completion.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I remember my Dracon Samurai got three lightning strikes in a row with one of the higher end Samurai swords (I think it had at the time like 10% kill) or close to it. Fucking did so much goddamn damage.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Anything in Wiz8 is viable, you become an unstoppable killing machine by about mid-game no matter how "bad" or non-optimal your lineup is.

Just have fun :>

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That's true. Maxing out stats on certain characters made the game really easy. The ability to min-max with some races certainly helped quite a bit.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Hmm.... Well, even then, the likelihood of your whole party dying in combat is extremely low, especially if you powergame. It has literally never happened to me except during my first playthrough - with Nessie (I was unprepared & underleveled, but even then if I wasn't such an idiot I could have simply ran), and that weird suprise buttsex unique creature by late-late game (one that ignores all resistances to insane/turncoat etc. everyone in 1 turn). Oh, and also falling to my death in weird places and "your party got crushed". o_O

But I guess you've already finished Wiz8 before so you know everything where/what to expect.

Are you going to abuse Alchemy? If so, even 7/8 of your party dying (if you're running full, that is) won't be a problem since you'll have infinite money => infinite raise dead.

Just be careful of bugs and system crashes!

If you really want a challenge and a unique Wiz8 playthrough, I'd recommend a solo or 2 characters instead of Ironman, though (unless you've already done it ofc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom