Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
You need a mix of skills with Wizardry. You can certainly try all ninjas.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
All ninjas probably wouldn't be that good in the beginning because there's no real ninja gear until later and you really need healers early on. I think an alchemy-centric group might work because of how versatile it is, but all ninjas in the beginning would probably suck big time.

Renegen

Arcane
So yeah, I thoroughly recommend Wizardry 8. One of the best RPGs I've ever played, bar none. On my second playthrough right now as a matter of fact. Consecutive. I hardly ever do that.
Second playthrough, ppffffff. I've had like 10 (who never actually finishing the game, funny string of coincidence, that). You really hit on a lot of things that make Wizardry 8 great. I'll only add 1 more: it's actually easy to fuck your character up but you won't know it. Play a melee character and forget to pump str or dex (for attack rating), and your melee will be substantially worse. Don't get the right spells, and every encounter will be impossible. After playing the game a lot, you sort of understand its mechanics, easy spots, hard spots and that only makes you appreciate the game that much more. About ninjas, very easy to screw up, they are the prototypical "comes short of its potential" build. I wouldn't recommend ninjas to a new party. The worst class I'd say is the psyonics, but he's not that bad.

I have 1 recommendation to make to you for your next playthrough, use a random party! Whenever I start a new game, I head to random.org and randomly get my race/class combination, sex and personality. Blowhard, you really hit on the personalities, they are just great. The game actually doesn't have random personalities, mages will typically get assigned loner personalities or the like while melees will get the aggressive and macho personalities. For the best fun, randomly assign them completely. In one of my games, I would burst out laughing whenever I heard my psychotic mage do anything. They are almost so good it's a reason alone to do a run and they are an excellent "innovation" that shows you can have memorable characters in a hardcore RPG with generated party.

They are almost so good it's a reason alone to do a run and they are an excellent "innovation" that shows you can have memorable characters in a hardcore RPG with generated party.

I wonder if Fargo could be planning something like this for Wasteland 2, would be a great way of appeasing both "but I wanna CARE about mai guise" and the "but I wanna MAKE mai guise" groups.

mondblut

Arcane
We don't like your kind here.

You must REALLY hate Pool of Radiance then, eh?

2012fag detected?

Well, I do feel this guy's pain for one. There is nothing as annoying as rerolling involving 20 keypresses each take. Give me one big (R)eroll button, or fuck off. Getting that 1 out of 16777216 combination is ardous enough without having to press (H)uman, (M)ale, (F)ighter, (E)vil, (D)on't save, (C)reate in process.

What great reviews, full of accurate information about the games, like "Your party from the previous two games is hired by a person they've never met to go on a quest they're told nothing about."

Also why not make a review about a game from a genre you apparently hate. Not biased at all.

KevinV12000

Arcane
The absolute best gaming experience of my life was buying Wizardy 8 and loading it, then going to a box in my garage, digging for 10 minutes and then finding my save game floppy from Wiz 7, install my characters and then start Wiz 8 with my old party. I'm not sure off the top of my head how long that floppy sat there waiting for that moment--which I was sure for many years would not happen--but it's gotta be at least 8.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The absolute best gaming experience of my life was buying Wizardy 8 and loading it, then going to a box in my garage, digging for 10 minutes and then finding my save game floppy from Wiz 7, install my characters and then start Wiz 8 with my old party. I'm not sure off the top of my head how long that floppy sat there waiting for that moment--which I was sure for many years would not happen--but it's gotta be at least 8.
Yeah, it's akin to a new Baldur's Gate game being released today in 2012 which allows you to import your character from Throne of Bhaal.

Or Morrowind allowing you to import your Daggerfall character.

Kylearan

Educated
We don't like your kind here.

You must REALLY hate Pool of Radiance then, eh?

2012fag detected?

Well, I do feel this guy's pain for one. There is nothing as annoying as rerolling involving 20 keypresses each take. Give me one big (R)eroll button, or fuck off. Getting that 1 out of 16777216 combination is ardous enough without having to press (H)uman, (M)ale, (F)ighter, (E)vil, (D)on't save, (C)reate in process.

Not to mention the fact that it's actually WORSE than that, as you had to allocate skill points (and sometimes spells!) before declining to save the character.

mondblut

Arcane

What kind of indolence is that, keeping saved games on a floppy disk in a garage? Heard of backup cds?

I still have mind with a fuckton of saves from mid-90s, nearly all RPGs I had played by then. Many of them right before the ending sequence.

Gamefaqs is full of both 10/10 best game ever, or 2/10 "worst thing since cancer" reviews. To be fair, since these are amateur reviews, it's hard to imagine many people making reviews of games they didn't care much about; it's either love or hate. Leave the fair and balanced reviews to professional game journalists who can be trusted to give an impartial analysis of a game's qualities without letting outside factors interefere.

:troll:

The only point of a review is to give information about the game. Another person's opinions are worthless unless you know that person very well, also all kinds of wordplay and trying to be clever is useless in a review, this is why I stopped my order of a Finnish gaming magazine, got tired of reading somebody congratulating themselves of how clever they are. Two pages and no good idea what's the game even about, BS. This is why most reviews suck, after reading them I still don't know a whole lot about the game, likely only somebody's specific gripes or things he liked.

That, or entertainment, of course.

@ CarnivalBizarre : I don't see anybody posting reviews of football games which claim that football is just boring and should have more cars, therefore the game sucks.

Renegen

Arcane
Gamefaqs is full of both 10/10 best game ever, or 2/10 "worst thing since cancer" reviews. To be fair, since these are amateur reviews, it's hard to imagine many people making reviews of games they didn't care much about; it's either love or hate. Leave the fair and balanced reviews to professional game journalists who can be trusted to give an impartial analysis of a game's qualities without letting outside factors interefere.

:troll:
Actually Gamefaqs is pretty good when it comes to reviews. I dont understand why "amateur" reviews are ridiculed. Are professional reviewers better just because they have a face, a name and pretty graphics? I posted 1 review for a game on Gamefaqs and it's the only one for that game, I just wanted to inform others. I still go to gamefaqs for opinions because after you read 10 of them you get a good feeling of a game.

(meh, i realize its a sort of troll. but it needs to be said about gamefaqs)

kmonster

Augur
The only point of a review is to give information about the game. Another person's opinions are worthless unless you know that person very well, also all kinds of wordplay and trying to be clever is useless in a review, this is why I stopped my order of a Finnish gaming magazine, got tired of reading somebody congratulating themselves of how clever they are. Two pages and no good idea what's the game even about, BS. This is why most reviews suck, after reading them I still don't know a whole lot about the game, likely only somebody's specific gripes or things he liked.

That, or entertainment, of course.

No, for just giving information about games there is something called "game description". There's no point in repeating it.
Reviews are for what you don't get told by the publishers, for telling you if a game is actually fun to play.

Descriptions about the game given by publishers aren't that informative themselves. A good review gives you some sense of whether or not you'd like to play the game. Not what the reviewer, who might like cutting his dick with a razor, likes.

Internet

Scholar
Play Wizardry 8. Just remember to run from enemies a lot and constantly use chameleon during the Arnika Road...

@ CarnivalBizarre : I don't see anybody posting reviews of football games which claim that football is just boring and should have more cars, therefore the game sucks.

People complaining that action games with a few RPG features is not a turn based isometric CRPG is in just about every thread on the codex. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
There is a "quick walk" program for Wizardry 8 that speeds it up some.
Yeah, it's called "shift key".

Just don't use it when there are encounters ahead.

Dumb.

No, we are talking about speeding up the moves of opponents in combat, Moron. There is a program for that, too.

So you don't have to sit all day while they position themselves like your lawn furniture when the moving van comes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom