Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Mackerel

Augur
Was there a version with a 16-bit installer? I just reinstalled it a couple of days ago for my Mom when I was visiting and she has Vista 64, it had a 32-bit installer if I recall correctly.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah I know.
What OS you recommend?
Also, I have the original CD's. SHould I just copy them over to my HD and use the 3rd CD to play or something?
I'm wondering if I should hook up an old PC I have with XP and install it over there, then burn it to a DVD and copy it over to my PC. Might work.
Downgrade to XP, upgrade to 7 or switch over to Linux (not sure how Wiz8 runs under Wine, though).
Anything but Vista.

I'm mostly running 7 (64x) and have no significant problems. Wiz8 ("installed" using aforementioned method) runs just fine, not counting minor but annoying glitch after alttabing (loss of KB input, can be forced to kick back in, but I haven't determined how).

That freeze thing where it stutters like crazy, I did it by hitting escape to bring up main menu then alt tab again.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, is anyone else aggravated that Axe is essentially a waste of time as a weapon class?
Thought it would have been, could have been so much greater. But it really sucks. No great 1 handed axes save for Beast Slayer and Plague Axe.
Am I missing something about Axes? Do they do super damage when berserking or have a greater chance for criticals that makes up for their general rule of suck?

Rpgsaurus Rex

What makes me wonder is why there are so many mods that add a lot of quests, locations, monsters, weapons...

But no good, solid *balancing* mods that build on the strengths of the original Wiz8 and "fill the gaps" (Wiz8 still feels really unfinished in many "vanilla" areas, like a game 60% to its completion), instead of introducing stuff that hurts the eye and makes the aesthete inside us wanna crawl in the corner and cry (Dodd's, Reforged, I'm looking at you)?

It's not even a question of time & effort because the "epic mods" clearly took many years, and perhaps even a decade or so to come from conception to full release.

DraQ

Arcane
So, is anyone else aggravated that Axe is essentially a waste of time as a weapon class?
Yes.
Am I missing something about Axes? Do they do super damage when berserking or have a greater chance for criticals that makes up for their general rule of suck?
No.

They should have, at the very least, tripled damage on Axe of Many Runes and made Beastslayer offhand-capable to make axes worthwhile.

Woodsman axe is nice to have at the beginning, though.
Ripper ain't bad either.

What makes me wonder is why there are so many mods that add a lot of quests, locations, monsters, weapons...

But no good, solid *balancing* mods that build on the strengths of the original Wiz8 and "fill the gaps" (Wiz8 still feels really unfinished in many "vanilla" areas, like a game 60% to its completion), instead of introducing stuff that hurts the eye and makes the aesthete inside us wanna crawl in the corner and cry (Dodd's, Reforged, I'm looking at you)?

It's not even a question of time & effort because the "epic mods" clearly took many years, and perhaps even a decade or so to come from conception to full release.
Yeah, repairing axes, adding some upper end non-class daggers, repairing Lords (constant effect remove curse for lords), maybe adding 6 semi-bishop hybrid casters with unique characteristics, maybe some interesting elite classes aside from Ninja and Bishop, tweaking level scaling and encounter frequency - there is a lot of stuff to be fixed in vanilla.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Just a basic rebalancing would be good enough. There's even a pretty powerful editor for Wiz8 to accomodate for almost anything a diehard fan would wish for, in a balance mod, except for radical changes like new classes.

But there isn't a single mod like this. It's just lolmods adding more crazy imbalanced stuff, or "epic" ones focused on their own "epic story" with endless fetch quests + levels and monster models/textures that make you want to gouge your eyes out. Dodd's was exciting for a while, though - if one could live with "Prosper funhouse" levels, the new "super-lategame Wizardry" was actually fun, while you were exploring its possibiities (e.g. instakill spells actually become useful vs monsters with a million HP and 100+ resists to spells, since a Powercast proc might surpass those resists and save vs. the danger of instakill attacks from the monster itself).

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Speaking of instant kills, is there another game that pulls off an instant death ability as awesomely as Wizardry 8? It's so rare at first and only after really high levels does it begin to occur even slightly frequently. But when it does it's hugely rewarding (unless the monster had 1 hit point). And it seems no enemy, including high level bosses are immune. Such a badass feeling when you see:

INSTANT KILL!!!

Rpgsaurus Rex

Speaking of instant kills, is there another game that pulls off an instant death ability as awesomely as Wizardry 8? It's so rare at first and only after really high levels does it begin to occur even slightly frequently. But when it does it's hugely rewarding (unless the monster had 1 hit point). And it seems no enemy, including high level bosses are immune. Such a badass feeling when you see:

INSTANT KILL!!!

Demise: Ascension has very satisfying killing messages, stuff like "You Beheaded!/Burned!/Electrocuted! X", and you really *feel* the massive damage from spells vs. big groups. Graphically it's not too behind Wiz8, either, although its interface is pretty stone-age.

DraQ

Arcane
Can't you really try getting the installed files from someone?

Also, one more thing I would change is making racial strengths more dramatic in terms of stats (say, 70ish rather than 50ish) - could make playing suboptimal race/class combos more interesting by skimping distributable stat points as usual, but giving large and difficult to ignore bonuses in stats that aren't profession related.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
True. But the problem becomes what stats to minimize, and what weaknesses to give them.
Lizardmen are pretty weak mentally. Add to that the fact that they take a severe penalty to defense in divine and mental magics, goddamn if the party isn't protected can they be made insane or turncoated big time and hurt everyone.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
One thing about character development that I never really figured out is that is it a good idea to get one main stat to max ASAP for the bonus perk or is it better to develop all important stats equally and get the perks later? I've tried both approaches and didn't notice much of a deviation in my overall performance.

DraQ

Arcane
True. But the problem becomes what stats to minimize, and what weaknesses to give them.
Lizardmen are pretty weak mentally. Add to that the fact that they take a severe penalty to defense in divine and mental magics, goddamn if the party isn't protected can they be made insane or turncoated big time and hurt everyone.
Yeah, but the thing is that most racial strengths are not higher than class requirements. Making the difference more in favour of racial strengths would make "alternative", atypical builds more interesting due to their non-class strengths being more difficult to emulate with extra points more traditional race/class combos get.

One thing about character development that I never really figured out is that is it a good idea to get one main stat to max ASAP for the bonus perk or is it better to develop all important stats equally and get the perks later? I've tried both approaches and didn't notice much of a deviation in my overall performance.
Well, since the perk can be developed by merely using it, going for the perk ASAP seems like the best strategy as long as you can prioritize perks. You can always mix and match on party level instead.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Well, since the perk can be developed by merely using it, going for the perk ASAP seems like the best strategy as long as you can prioritize perks. You can always mix and match on party level instead.

Si, I'd say the same.

However, experimenting with different character builds, levelup strategies and group combinations is always a nice thing and in the end, you can very well play through the game with your individual character builds and group compositions without caring so much about powergaming and min-maxing.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fuck, I wish I could install it.
I'd use that fucking editor to re-work some of the weapons, especially the axes.

Just extract all CD contents somewhere in your HD, preserving original folder paths. Grab the patch, wizfast, a no-cd crack and voilà.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
in the end, you can very well play through the game with your individual character builds and group compositions without caring so much about powergaming and min-maxing.
Definitely, I'm currently playing iron man for the first time, yet I made a party totally based on my whimsical inspiration of the moment, no min-maxing involved. And it works just fine. My fairie monk frontliner stands his ground pretty well for instance. As for going to 100 a.s.a.p. I did it for some characters, like my spellcasters and not for others like monk, ranger or walkyrie and both work fine.

Wizardry 8 is the shit. Sir-Tech forever inclined the world of blobers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom