Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Rpgsaurus Rex

You really don't need magic at all, or even lock picking as these can be accomplished through other means. Scrolls exist that can activate most of the important defensive spells and locks can always be bashed.

Have fun bashing at Davy Jones Locker for 1 hour...

Renegen

Arcane
Pickpocketing is a great skill, but how do you really use it without saving and reloading many times?
Actually you just need to charm the NPC. Some NPCs unfortunately attack you when pickpocket fails but most don't and you just need to talk to them to reset their behavior. You just need a really high communication. What I do sometimes is I "grind" pickpocket by using it on everyone in Arnika, then using communications on everyone and then resetting their communication by adventuring. When I come back I do the same thing again. The bard is perfect for pickpocketing.

Rpgsaurus Rex

It's much easier to just abuse Alchemy and never have to rely on pickpocketing.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Alchemy is great for cash, but there's some pretty great weapons and armor only available through pickpocketing. And you can get them very early.

Does anybody actually play wiz8 without exploiting it? My most fulfilling/rewarding games are the ones that I just play without skill training or reloading.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Alchemy is great for cash, but there's some pretty great weapons and armor only available through pickpocketing. And you can get them very early..

Like what?

Does anybody actually play wiz8 without exploiting it? My most fulfilling/rewarding games are the ones that I just play without skill training or reloading

TBH the first and best is the first, maybe second playthrough, with or without abusing. Even when you grow godlike-powerful with gear and levels and nothing can scratch you, it's still fun to experience for the first time.

Afterwards it just becomes playing for the sake of nostalgia. Or some challenge gimmick (ironman, solo, etc.)

There are way better dungeon crawers out there if you want pure "challenge", though. Re-playing Wiz8 from time to time (however you decide to do it) is just fun, for fun's sake. ;)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Alchemy is great for cash, but there's some pretty great weapons and armor only available through pickpocketing. And you can get them very early..

Like what?

Faust Halberd, Raven's Bill, Sword of 4 Winds, Sword of Hearts, Estoc De Olivia, Chieftain's Sceptre, Diamond Eyes (you can find one, but steal them as well from characters like Shaman Das), Cane of Corpus, Holy Basher, Staff of Charming, Ninjato.
There are some others but you can buy most of them.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Faust Halberd, Raven's Bill, Sword of 4 Winds, Sword of Hearts, Estoc De Olivia, Chieftain's Sceptre, Diamond Eyes (you can find one, but steal them as well from characters like Shaman Das), Cane of Corpus, Holy Basher, Staff of Charming, Ninjato.
There are some others but you can buy most of them.

Also consider some of the mid-level weapons and armor that can be stolen very early in the game from Burz in the lower monastery. I can recall acquiring an enchanted broadsword and silver solerets among others.

catfood

AGAIN
Hmm.. I guess I might try investing in piclopcketing during one of my future playthroughs. Seems it's a good skill just like in Fallout.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Absolutely.​
The benefits of theft are apparent even early on.​
It's one of the reasons that I've almost always gone with a Halfling Rogue rather than any other race for that character. Max out speed, senses, etc, and BAM! you got a great thief.​

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Since you brought up the Faust Halberd, has anyone ever actually used it successfully? The hit point drain on it is huge, -3 or something. I gave it to a Lord and it overrode his natural hit point regeneration trait. It's probably the best polearm in the game though so it could be worth it. You'd need a few hit point regenerating items to keep the user alive.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You need two healing amulets to go with it, and I believe there's another healing item.
Plus, if you have a priest, just keep healing over time and cast remove curse when you want to rest.

Rpgsaurus Rex

That's pretty interesting. I've played through Wiz8 many times and never really used pickpocketing. I sort of assumed you can get the same loot from the shop. I also hate save/loading a lot (since they often attack you if you fail...)

Some of the weapons that you mention could be gotten via normal play, e.g. it's just as easy to kill Barlone for the CoC, through others are really rare indeed. Any clues on where you can pickpocket the other rare stuff you mentioned? It would be pretty cool to get Sword of the 4 Winds early on :roll: .

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
People loving pickpocketing stems from playing the game upon release. The skill is way, way worse in the patched version. It will take you ages to get the best stealable items (and they aren't that good anyway) and it will get you in trouble many times due to the fact that you get 100% chance to fail at a certain point (savescumming won't change that). And, again, it requires tedious grind to be of any use - bleh.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Did the Japanese ones ever get translated or made for PC in any way?
I'm feeling the itch to play Wiz, and I can't install 8 on my pc (16-bit installer, 64 bit Vista). Fucking sucks.

DraQ

Arcane
Did the Japanese ones ever get translated or made for PC in any way?
I'm feeling the itch to play Wiz, and I can't install 8 on my pc (16-bit installer, 64 bit Vista). Fucking sucks.
Try to get the whole packed-up directory from someone.
It's not like Wiz8 *needs* shit like fucking registry keys made on install and shit - you just need the installed game files and cd3.

That's how I've been "installing" Wiz8 for like 3 or 4 OS changes so far (because I'm fucking lazy and don't like to reconfigure shit I've already configured).

Also, ditch that horrible abortion of an OS.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah I know.
What OS you recommend?
Also, I have the original CD's. SHould I just copy them over to my HD and use the 3rd CD to play or something?
I'm wondering if I should hook up an old PC I have with XP and install it over there, then burn it to a DVD and copy it over to my PC. Might work.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah I know.
What OS you recommend?
Also, I have the original CD's. SHould I just copy them over to my HD and use the 3rd CD to play or something?
I'm wondering if I should hook up an old PC I have with XP and install it over there, then burn it to a DVD and copy it over to my PC. Might work.
Downgrade to XP, upgrade to 7 or switch over to Linux (not sure how Wiz8 runs under Wine, though).
Anything but Vista.

I'm mostly running 7 (64x) and have no significant problems. Wiz8 ("installed" using aforementioned method) runs just fine, not counting minor but annoying glitch after alttabing (loss of KB input, can be forced to kick back in, but I haven't determined how).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom