Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worlds of Magic Thread - It's out... sorta

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Did I? I can only see one.

hoverdog

Developer
The beta is drawing near :negative:

so, what exactly have we been doing lately?

- Three races: High Men, Unhallowed, Grey Elves are playable and almost finished (need a few buildings models only)
- one more race, Draconians, needs some buildings and model animations (oh, and actual flight mechanics:M), and the fifth one (Orcs) has all the models done
- spellcasting AI in battles is technically done (a pretty nifty system, I'm proud of it)
- speaking of spellcasting, about 160 spells are implemented (that's almost half :negative:), of which 100 have particle effects
- diplomacy AI is being worked at right now

some eyecandy:

city development

UglyTinyIndianglassfish.gif

world map w/ spellcasting

10414646_729326727126813_1852526882240195401_n.jpg
Race choice
vDnrcMY.jpg

spellbook
XrdnwLi.jpg

hoverdog

Developer
Yo!

Get the tar ready! :fight:

Worlds of Magic is going Early Access next Friday (September 11th). We really didn't want to do it, but due to several unfortunate circumstances, it is a necessity.

What will the first EA iteration contain?

- 4 factions: High Men, Grey Elves, Unhallowed and Draconians
- nine unique units per faction
- 200 spells, ranging from tactical projectiles to global enchantments and some summonable creatures too
- three planes of existence, each with unique features (Prime, Fire, Shadow)
- a working, decent AI along with diplomacy
- sieges
- some basic hero mechanics

here's the EA trailer:

and some screenshots:

WorldsOdMagicEA_13.jpg

WorldsOdMagicEA_2.jpg

ss_e48d6939344195e2c10f82638121de273621ea1b.1920x1080.jpg

WorldsOdMagicEA_3.jpg

all KS backers will get instant access tomorrow, a week before EA starts, so things might be still be a bit buggy. I don't know how many of you backed us, I'm pretty sure I saw Grunker on the list somewhere.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Legitimately one of the most awful trailers I've ever seen (that music), but the game still looked solid so that's a good sign.

belated

Augur
I did get the email a couple of days ago about how people who chose GOG/Wastelands won't automatically get a steam key for EA. Can't remember having chosen anything though so that must have been a long time ago (right after the first KS maybe?).

So if I chose GOG (most likely) then I guess I'll have to send for a EA-key or something. Will see if I get anything today first.

hoverdog

Developer
I did get the email a couple of days ago about how people who chose GOG/Wastelands won't automatically get a steam key for EA. Can't remember having chosen anything though so that must have been a long time ago (right after the first KS maybe?).

So if I chose GOG (most likely) then I guess I'll have to send for a EA-key or something. Will see if I get anything today first.
If you received this mail it means you chose GOG/Wastelands, respond now and you'll get a key today.

Borelli

Arcane
Undead description makes me giggle. That large difference in races is bound to make the game interesting.
Legitimately one of the most awful trailers I've ever seen (that music), but the game still looked solid so that's a good sign.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is it with trailers of turn-based games spinning the camera around to make it look more "AWSUM!!!!"?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, I played the development release, and I'm confident that this will be the best and most faithful recreation of MoM ever.

That said, it's not really playable, so I'm going to wait for a proper release. The user interface has a lot of bugs and problems that render the game unplayable from the get-go. For example, you can't click to end turn unless you assign a construction project to your city, and the increase population doesn't count as a project. I have no idea how to cast spells, because I have a spell ready to be cast but nothing I do allows me to actually cast it (stone skin, wanted to put it on my swordsmen). The game is really slow unless you turn everything off and put it at fast graphics setting. The list goes on, but clearly the game is coming along really well; it just really feels like MoM for the modern day.

It's kind of surprising that I'm giving it a thousand thumbs-up when it's not in any way a fun game right now. If you load it up and take a look, though, you'll understand. Everything is there and really amazing looking, the interface just needs to be completed and the game should run a tad faster (or maybe I need a new computer; at any rate it runs okay on low graphics settings).

hoverdog

Developer
Okay, I played the development release, and I'm confident that this will be the best and most faithful recreation of MoM ever.
Thanks!

For example, you can't click to end turn unless you assign a construction project to your city, and the increase population doesn't count as a project.
It's because the housing project the city is "starting" with doesn't register as a choice. It does count when you actually select it in the build menu. We'll try to fix that, probably cities will start with "nothing" rather than "default unregistrable housing".
You can always turn off these notifications in options.

I have no idea how to cast spells, because I have a spell ready to be cast but nothing I do allows me to actually cast it (stone skin, wanted to put it on my swordsmen).
Well yeah, strategic spellcasting is stupidly convoluted right now and we are going to revamp it this week.
What you need to do right now is click on the "spell is ready to cast" notification, select the loaded spell, click on the black box "spell is ready, click here to cast" and then select the army and the unit. Ugh. Yes it's kinda pointless.

EDIT: it might also be a bug caused by our recent change it mouse-clicking settings. What selecting scheme do you use (Input options)? If RTS-like, we are working on it.

The game is really slow unless you turn everything off and put it at fast graphics setting.
This is weird. Obviously we haven't started optimizing the game, but in my experience it has more or less similar requirements as AoW3.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game is really slow unless you turn everything off and put it at fast graphics setting.
This is weird. Obviously we haven't started optimizing the game, but in my experience it has more or less similar requirements as AoW3.

Meh, my computer isn't all that amazing, so perhaps it's me. I have a dual core i7 2.3, 8g RAM, and a geforce gtx 660m.

The game runs fine on "fast" and "very fast".

Keep up the good work!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The game seems clunky right now.
I've not played it less than an hour, due to freezes and lockups, and one impressive instance where the computer simply shut off.

The power off, was when I paused the game by opening the game menu, then returned 10 minutes later and clicked "resume game". The game simply shut off power. Don't know why.

The lockups have been when when I opened the save game dialogue. Suddenly the game stopped responding, couldn't even alt-tab or use ctrl-alt-delete. The other instance was on turn 8, a roaming army appeared, and while processing the turn order, the game stopped responding, same as in the previous instance.
In both instances I had to power off the computer.

There's also a heap of spells that lack descriptions. And it seems odd that the number of spells available to each sphere is different, but I assume this will be balanced before the final launch.

I like what I'm seeing, but I'm not sure I can continue, at least on my laptop. The game runs very poorly, my laptop is 4 years old. Civ5 runs better..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom