Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worlds of Magic Thread - It's out... sorta

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
The game seems clunky right now.
I've not played it less than an hour, due to freezes and lockups, and one impressive instance where the computer simply shut off.

The power off, was when I paused the game by opening the game menu, then returned 10 minutes later and clicked "resume game". The game simply shut off power. Don't know why.

The lockups have been when when I opened the save game dialogue. Suddenly the game stopped responding, couldn't even alt-tab or use ctrl-alt-delete. The other instance was on turn 8, a roaming army appeared, and while processing the turn order, the game stopped responding, same as in the previous instance.
In both instances I had to power off the computer.
That's weird. What are your system specs? Does the problems persist on lower graphics settings?

There's also a heap of spells that lack descriptions. And it seems odd that the number of spells available to each sphere is different, but I assume this will be balanced before the final launch.
The description are now done. You can also click on the info sign in your spellbook to view more mechanical information.
We have about a half of all spells implemented, but some circles got more love than others. Summoning is especially poor, simply because we need to make models first. Obviously, the finished spell list is balanced.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've not played it less than an hour, due to freezes and lockups, and one impressive instance where the computer simply shut off.

The power off, was when I paused the game by opening the game menu, then returned 10 minutes later and clicked "resume game". The game simply shut off power. Don't know why.

The lockups have been when when I opened the save game dialogue. Suddenly the game stopped responding, couldn't even alt-tab or use ctrl-alt-delete. The other instance was on turn 8, a roaming army appeared, and while processing the turn order, the game stopped responding, same as in the previous instance.
That's weird. What are your system specs? Does the problems persist on lower graphics settings?

It's an Intel core I3 M330 processor 2.13GHz, the graphics cards' an NVIDIA GeForce 310M with 512Mb of RAM.

Windows does this score thingie, where the laptop rates a total of 4,8, with the graphics being what's slowing it down.

I've been playing the game on the "fastest" settings. I could try on my desktop computer tomorrow, if I get the free time. It ought to run the game much smoother.

hoverdog

Developer

It's an Intel core I3 M330 processor 2.13GHz, the graphics cards' an NVIDIA GeForce 310M with 512Mb of RAM.

Windows does this score thingie, where the laptop rates a total of 4,8, with the graphics being what's slowing it down.

I've been playing the game on the "fastest" settings. I could try on my desktop computer tomorrow, if I get the free time. It ought to run the game much smoother.
This is definitely the lower end of the spectrum, especially the graphics card. Civ5 is five years old, after all, and we haven't started optimizing yet (though it has about the same performance as AoW3 in our experience).
Can you perhaps provide (send me in a pm) output_log after a freeze/crash? It's located in the steam folder/worldsofmagic_data.

belated

Augur
Heats up my 780-card quite a bit, but I hear that's what unoptimized unity does (judging from PoE and early D:OS).

The output_log quickly fills up with
"""
HandleD3DDeviceLost
HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)
"""
though.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll take a look at it tonight, if I remember. Got an 8 hour shift starting now, and once I get home the children will want some attention. But I should get some time tonight.

hoverdog

Developer
We have added the MAJESTIC Draconian race

CRCdmPh.jpg

7yC1ZvM.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ugh how about some disadvantages that would be flavorful? Like cold blooded, your units get slowed on cold terrain and slowed/stunned when hit with cold attacks.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Too easy to avoid? Not enough of a drawback? If terrain is randomized, that kind of "drawback" could be meaningless and mean the race is simply overpowered when compared to the other choices?

By the way, what's the mechanic behind units deserting? Started a few games with the High Men chosen, and within the first 5 turns, both of the starting units (spearman and swordsman) will have deserted, even though there's cash in the treasury. I can't quite figure out why it's happening?

hoverdog

Developer
By the way, what's the mechanic behind units deserting? Started a few games with the High Men chosen, and within the first 5 turns, both of the starting units (spearman and swordsman) will have deserted, even though there's cash in the treasury. I can't quite figure out why it's happening?
It might have been lack of food. Did you get the "Units will desert" pop-up on turn end?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I've played Master of Magic to death. Bought it on floppies back in the day. But AFAIR, the game already did the calculations of how much food was produced, and if there was a surplus big enough to support the armies, so you could quickly check the numbers.

For some reason, did not see this during my games. The food counter did not show a deficit, IIRC?

mastroego

Arcane
BROFISTED the preview image BUT a minor (not really) complaint:

"Units with smaller amount of figures" doesn't really work.
It breaks the 4th wall.
Either you talk consistently in game-mechanics terms, or you do the opposite.
The mixed bag destroys the illusion.

So, for instance, you could write "Individualistic: don't work well in groups or squads" and then a tooltip explains what that exactly means in game terms.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Just arrived to the thread. Extremely dumbfuck to read 6 pages. Explain me why this and not Dom4, HoMM5, FFH2 or similar.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Because this time the mechanics are ACTUALLY modeled after MoM's.
It's that simple.

Not saying it'll be super for sure, just that there's legitimate hope, for a change.

Caim

Arcane
This looks pretty cool, but I'm not entirely sure if I should buy it just yet with all the optimization problems I see in this threat... I'll keep an eye on this game though.

Thane Solus

Arcane
looks pretty good, lets hope it delivers, i am sick of playing half ass MoM inspired games(which i do these days >.<), i like the Interface too, but mostly i love how the city evolves, that's very important for me, i got spoiled by MoM, MOO2 and Heroes 3 <3.

hoverdog

Developer
Should I get hyped for this? Been looking for a decent modern re-interpretation of MoM but everything I read about games trying to be MoM was basically negative...
Yes. It's as close to MoM as it can possibly be without copyright infringements. The basic systems like maps, terrain, city building, world features and magic are 100% based on MoM, only we use d20 for units/combat.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Should I get hyped for this? Been looking for a decent modern re-interpretation of MoM but everything I read about games trying to be MoM was basically negative...
Yes. It's as close to MoM as it can possibly be without copyright infringements. The basic systems like maps, terrain, city building, world features and magic are 100% based on MoM, only we use d20 for units/combat.

I saw in early access trailer some combat between units. Will this get expanded upon? I didn't see much terrain in there or maybe I was looking at the wrong video...

mastroego

Arcane
Well I was there for the whole Elemental debacle (I pre-ordered it) and I can assure you that it NEVER really tried to be MoM.
Not for a moment.

So no, it didn't suck while trying to be MoM, it sucked while trying to be something else entirely that sucked even as a concept.
And then it super-sucked because of a disastrous implementation.
Also it sucked because the then-arrogant Lead Designer (to his credit, he changed his tune afterwards) didn't want to listen to beta testers telling him that the game sucked and some of the concepts made no sense whatsoever, he would just answer that they wouldn't know about it since they didn't see the finalized content.

Needless to say, when they eventually did see it, the game sucked to no end.
In fact, it's still sucking to this day, there, all by itself.

To be fair, 2 years later we got Legendary Heroes, which offered A FEW MoM-like moments.
Still far from MoM of course.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom