Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worlds of Magic Thread - It's out... sorta

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I like the battle-screen that comes up when you hit spacebar after the battle loads up, and my fps goes up to a trillion when I switch to that mode, but it needs to be fixed so that the scenery doesn't obscure half the battlefield.
We haven't touched the isometric camera for a while. Good to know that it's resource-friendly.

The game is playable now for the first fifty turns, but after that I find that the turns take a long time to compute. I think the issue is the hundreds of neutral spearmen scouring the land; they never attack my cities, but instead just mill around the screen achieving nothing.
Yup, there should be a lot less of them in the next update.

I would like the build-menu to have a chart where you can see all the possible structures. That way I can plot out all the buildings I need in order to recruit certain units or achieve other ends.
Noted.

I would like the surveyor to give more detail about what the various on-map resources do. It just tells me I have such and such max population, such and such food, gold, magic production, but there's no blurb that says "Because there's a blue crystal on the ground, you get x% more magic and can recruit a blue magician if your town encompasses this resource".
Planned.

I still have no idea how to cast a spell. I selected the spell, used my magic points, but when I go to cast it on a unit nothing happens. I tried to cast bless on a unit on the campaign map, but when I clicked on the unit it just selected it. No amount of clicking on the unit allowed me to cast bless on it.
You probably selected an army, and you have to select a unit (the icons in the upper left corner). We are working on making it more clear.

Also, I defeated some werewolves 8)
:kwafuckyeah:

A question regarding the camera:

Will it be possible to rotate the view or is that technically not feasible?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Your tech support forum annoys me hoverdog with its wait before my message is posted. The other day, it never did post my bug report at all, so I'm back here now.

I had a delightful game last night, everything went well, made a doomstack that trounced most things on the map, handily taking down even werewolves by simply putting out more damage than their damage reduction could soak.
High men Crossbowmen are neat this way, especially when they level up. :smug:

The only fly in the ointment? Not being able to save the game.
It wouldn't autosave, and when I tried to manually save, I couldn't access the save menu. The game kept repeating "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

3cSDeXH.jpg

You can see it in the development console on this screenshot. The first red line was from the game trying to autosave. The 5 lines of NullReferenceException was from me trying to manually save.
The last line, I assume, was from another attempt to autosave.

Want the output log? You can get it here.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Weird. It seems your system used the file and didn't allow for overwriting, and then the whole folder had increased protection and the game couldn't have access.
Does it fail like this evrytim? Try restarting, and then maybe disable your antivirus and restart.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
That is the only time I've seen that particular bug. Though now it seems persistent. Just started a new game (tiny world, drac race in plane of air), again without being able to save.

Odd. Maybe I should delete and reinstall the game..

hoverdog

Developer
There was something fucked up with save menager in the new build, you'd better wait for tomorrow's hotfix.

mastroego

Arcane
Codexers, again, where are you?
Go buy the Early Access! This project needs to reach completion with as much resources as humanly possible.

I submit to you that Worlds of Magic might very well be to Master of Magic what Torment (new) will hopefully be to Torment (old).
I mean the potential incline is so steep we might need a ladder.

And what else do you think you need 36$ for, anyway? Cars? Jewelry? Diapers?
Well scr3w your whining offspring! In fact, they will thank you when they're all grown up and able to play with a MoM successor.
So hurry with your moneys :takemymoney:

(well I'm trying to do my part. I really want this game to succeed ;))

Last edited:

Incantatar

Cipher
How far is the development of this game, like percentage of completion? There were many MOM clones and none were half as good as the original. This seems very similar in game mechanics. I'm interested.

hoverdog

Developer
How far is the development of this game, like percentage of completion? There were many MOM clones and none were half as good as the original. This seems very similar in game mechanics. I'm interested.
I'd say 80%. All the major systems are done and set in place. There is still a lot of graphics work - 4 races are done, fifth is almost finished, three are still in making, plus we're still missing a whole lot of neutral creatures. Then there's AI, which is basic at the moment but improving steadily, and overall balancing, polishing and debugging.

mastroego

Arcane
... and if I'm not mistaken, a basic hero system should be added in October.
That's my mark for the "real" start of the beta :)
Could be a good time to jump in, if you're on the fence still (which you shouldn't be. This is our ONE chance at another MoM) :)

erthia

Educated
This looks pretty good, my wallet is excited :P. I am surprised I didn't hear about this earlier. For those who have played the early access of the game, how is it so far? Is it close to MOM? I have been looking for a true MOM-like game for a while. Are there a lot of units!? (My preference, I like a lot of units in games).

mastroego

Arcane
It is the closest thing to MoM that's ever been in the works, that's guaranteed.
That's reason enough to support, already.
Will it succeed?
We can't be sure but I'm optimistic! Some of the mechanics are even better than MoM's (just look at the possible traits for the Sorcerors)

But you can check yourself the planned features (not all are implemented yet!) in the wiki here:
http://wastelands-interactive.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Entering the Early Access can help the team, but be advised that there's a lot of work to be done yet.
I'm waiting for Heroes to be implemented, myself (coming in October) to test it more consistently. :)

hoverdog

Developer
Are there a lot of units!? (My preference, I like a lot of units in games).
Each faction will have nine units (including settlers). Then there are about 50 neutral units (most of them summonable) and 25 heroes and champions.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
With more units planned for future DLCs? +M

I've no worries though. I threw enough $ at you during the kickstarter campaign, that I supposedly should get all future DLCs. :smug:

erthia

Educated
Thanks for the information guys. This does indeed seems like the MOM-game I was looking for. hoverdog count me in on the support as well, I will be picking this up within the next couple of days. There is over 100 units which is more then enough. Also, thanks for sticking to traditional fantasy units. Some of the other similar games kind of went off the track with odd creatures. I will also be excited to see DLCs offering more units, spells, races, etc for future content.

Eyeball

Arcane
I've a question: this game appears to be a faithful recreation of MOM. My question is, why not just play MOM instead of this? What new features are being planned to add to the MOM forumla that will improve it? I've not played MOM, just not too enthused about remakes of old games with snazzier graphics but little else.

mastroego

Arcane
You have to keep in mind that MoM is really dated.
Sure it's playable but it can be frustrating by modern standards of usability.
So first of all we'd want an UI update and a graphical update.
Also, the AI ;)
MoM's AI was its one, undeniable flaw.

Anyway, there'll be "new content" too. More planes, a more complex magic system.
It won't be a "frame by frame" reshoot, more like the n-th remake attempt but with a director who's actually seen and loved the original movie. :obviously:

Last edited:

Incantatar

Cipher
You have to keep in mind that MoM is really dated.
Sure it's playable but it can be frustrating by modern standards of usability.
So first of all we'd want an UI update and a graphical update.
Also, the AI ;)
MoM's AI was its one, undeniable flaw.
I'd say two major flaws. The AI and the city micromanagement. It's a huge pain in the ass with a big empire. Some sort of definable building queue would be sweet. The biggest minor flaw is the lack of modability.
The UI and usability are pretty good imo. I played/play Aurora 4x and Dwarf Fortress. MoM is usability heaven in comparison.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, MoM's biggest flaw is the AI and no multiplayer. You have a fantastic foundation of a game, but nothing to really play it against except for the first few turns when the environment is still a challenge.

All of the MoM clones got the surrounding bits right, but forgot to establish a good foundation, so they're all shit in their own unique way.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, heroes eh? Look dandy enough, but even if I do manage to get one with supposedly a ranged attack (they come pre-packaged with a bow/crossbow of their own from the start), said hero will insist on only having a melee attack. Often leading to an inglorious defeat.

Take Autumn Leaf for instance. Sounds really built to be a ranged attacker. Why won't she use her bow then? Is there a toggle/switch I need to hit first?

hoverdog

Developer
So, heroes eh? Look dandy enough, but even if I do manage to get one with supposedly a ranged attack (they come pre-packaged with a bow/crossbow of their own from the start), said hero will insist on only having a melee attack. Often leading to an inglorious defeat.

Take Autumn Leaf for instance. Sounds really built to be a ranged attacker. Why won't she use her bow then? Is there a toggle/switch I need to hit first?
well... we introduced ammunition lately but forgot to add it for hero ranged weapons :negative: will be fixed in the next build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom