Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worlds of Magic Thread - It's out... sorta

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Is this the game? Looks pretty sweet! I hope there's lots of artifacts for your heroes, I loved that part of MoM.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/265970/
Yup.
There are no predefined items to be found in lairs and such yet (I'll be probably working on them next week), but you can craft them already and are really fucking broken OP right now.

hoverdog

Developer
you can craft them already and are really fucking broken OP right now.

Good, just like the original!
not really.

see this guy?

attachment.php

disregard the fact that he has a sword in his armor slot and dual-wields zweihenders. Even with one weapon his average damage output would be 10 times bigger than the most powerful normal unit's. With First Strike and a shitload of HPs, he's pretty much invulnerable.

Gregz

Arcane
see this guy?

nope, broken pic link :(

Anyway, some of my favorite memories were loading down Torin and the other heroes with massively OP gear and steamrolling the map during endgame.

That was my first concern when I saw you guys were using a d20 based system. In MoM Turin would be like d20 + 35. Hope it wouldn't break anything, too late now though, I imagine all of the important design decisions were made a while ago. Still, it looks pretty great, hope you guys can pull it off!

mastroego

Arcane
I haven't played recently because the game is too unforgiving in the early stages (almost unbeatable werewolves appearing very early, for instance).
The good developers have promised to revise the relevant part of the code but up until now they've been focusing on missing content (which I approve of, anyway).
Last week a lot of stuff has been added: dwarfs are in and now I believe the only plane missing is Paradise.

So it's looking good but balance and polish still need work. I'll post my thoughts when I'll have the chance to play :)

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
If you're still implementing PBEM please add mailto intents inside the client, with the documents already attached.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm curious too. Hoverdog should probably give us free copies to spread the good word throughout the internet. Not enough buzz and info about the game. The solution is copies for Codexers. :M

Even more curious with the release date so close. Last I heard it was promising but in really rough shape. Haven't heard much about how it is after they've been banging on it for some months.

hoverdog

Developer
I'm curious too. Hoverdog should probably give us free copies to spread the good word throughout the internet. Not enough buzz and info about the game. The solution is copies for Codexers. :M
I will host some kind of a small give-away shortly before the release. I'm nice like that.

Multi-headed Cow

I will host some kind of a small give-away shortly before the release. I'm nice like that.
Curse you, I'll probably have broken down and bought it by then! :argh:

Also what the hell, this uses D20 system? How the hell did I not hear that until now. That's kinda cool.

hoverdog

Developer
Curse you, I'll probably have broken down and bought it by then! :argh:
:troll:

Also what the hell, this uses D20 system? How the hell did I not hear that until now. That's kinda cool.
It does, but it's heavily modified to make it more usable for unit battles (and more similar to Master of Magic too). So, for example, normal movement points rather than d20 action system.

mastroego

Arcane
So will this be a worthy fantasy 4x in the vein of MoM, or just another failure? Codexers that played it please comment.
Well I still haven't re-played it (see my post above) also because I've started other games while waiting for the most significant updates.

At the moment my main issues with it are of a technical nature (UI, perfomance, etc., unless something drastic happened in the latest updates).
Also the developers seem to be in love with ugly mountains and hills for some reason.

That all said, the game has its heart in the right place and it will feel very MoMish. :hug:
Of that I'm confident.
So any true monocled :obviously: Codexer should just buy it instead of asking about it, and - at worst - complain later for months about details :D
And yes the release date does seem a bit close. But I plan long term, and my true interest is in the expansion to "complete" the game.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I have high hopes for this game, mostly because it seems to be aimed primarily at finally giving gamers what they want: an honest MOM clone, not some "I want to be a unique snowflake" approach that saw us not getting a good (fantasy) 4x game for something like a decade.

As far as my worries go, the ugly 3d is the obvious problem. Why oh why do the devs insist on it instead of going for nice, clean, functional and resource-light 2d?

Edit: Oh, and it's -25% on Steam currently.

erthia

Educated
Alright, hoverdog, I finally purchased this last week. Here is my feedback... I say this as calmly and nicely as I can... GOOD JOB! I understand it is in beta and there are a few bugs here and there, but man this really is the next MOM game. I own AOW3, Warlock II, Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes, but none of these compare with what I have seen so far. I am very happy too see that there is a high spell count. Unit mount are pretty much the same as MOM which is great, but of course futrue unit DLC will be a huge perk for this. Lots of units are what make me happy! :D Anyways, congratulation, WOM is a game that is actually making me excited and anxious in waiting for the full release.

So, despite it being in early access, my rating is 10/10. Master of Magic fans are really gonna enjoy this!

hoverdog

Developer
thanks bro :salute: there is still a lot of roaming creatures missing, but we are churning them out at full power.

I love variety and enormous amounty of stuff to see in fantasy 4x, so this is a good sign. I have a feeling I'll play this more than ANY other game in the next few years. I certainly hope so.

Too bad it seems not a lot of Codexers are interested in this, as I think a worthy MoM successor should enjoy more popularity here...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom